Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Tom,

Anything specific you want to know about bowhunting? Practice is the best thing for you. I'd also see if you can find someplace to set up a stand or two. It's very tough to ground hunt deer with a bow due to the short range and the movement required to draw the bow. A blind or tree stand are about the only way to fly. If you can set a couple that you'll use for the entire season, I'd recommend practicing out of them while they're in place to get the feel for shooting from a particular stance. Also, shooting downward such as from a tree stand will slightly alter an arrow's trajectory as well.

About the best general practice you'll get is by attending some 3D archery tournaments. They're a lot of fun and I'd imagine you should be able to find one every weekend in your neck of the woods. Go to any local archery store and they should be able to hook you up with a list of clubs holding tournaments.

Let me know if you've got any specific questions. I hunted for a few years, but shot competitive archery for 10+ years.

Rick

There is a 3d range around here that I've been meaning to go try out. Now that you've reminded me I may go ahead and hit that pretty soon. I have a broadhead target I use in the back yard for 15-20 yard shots but its too easy. I've also been practicing at a regular archery range and I can consistently hit the targets at 30-40 yards with very few misses now.
Lost a few arrows in the beginning though.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Hunting from a stand is tough with a long bow, make sure you have room to move and reposition yourself in the stand. Being a good shot with your bow is the easiest part of bow hunting. Byron Ferguson has some excellent books on traditional bowhunting. What is the brace height on your bow? 3D shoots are great practice and fun but many of them I've been to are geared more for the compound guys, some shots over 70 yards and many in the 30-40 yard range. The kill zone on a deer is about the size of a basketball. Find out what range you can consistantly hit a paper plate and consider that your max range, taking into consideration elevation and if it's a quartering to/away shot.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Hmm, paper plate eh? Well those are cheap and easy to buy for targets.
With my recurve I can tag a paper plate consistently at up to 20 yards right now. Above 20yds I need a turkey platter.

My recurve is 59#at28" and it probably hits a bit harder than the 72# longbow in the picture I posted. It is wood with glass back though whereas the longbow is a self-bow.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard