Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:
If you really want to run OSX to get a taste use PearPC, the mac emulator for windows. I don't suggest buying a mac just due to the price and the fact that they try to act like elitest [censored]. So -1 on the buy a mac.

Ah yes, the Windows bigots always love to point out the price. Notice the new Mac Pro is way cheaper than any other Xeon based quad-core system out there?

And no, you never, ever hear elitest comments from the Windows crowd

I use both, and each has their strengths and uses. I like my Mac because of the UNIX underpinnings and lack of virus threats and malware.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i used to be 100% windows guy but im trying to branch out
into other operating systems

as of right now i don't have a use for all the power in the mac pro but if i had one i could sertainly find a use for it

im not a hardcore gamer but i do play a pc game everynow and then and its not easy to do it on a mac or linux box

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
i keep my computing diversified. my everyday computer is a dell laptop (non-exploding battery edition) with windows of course, my home file server is a linux machine, and my kitchen computer is a 15" mac book pro.

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:
If you really want to run OSX to get a taste use PearPC, the mac emulator for windows. I don't suggest buying a mac just due to the price and the fact that they try to act like elitest [censored]. So -1 on the buy a mac.

Ah yes, the Windows bigots always love to point out the price. Notice the new Mac Pro is way cheaper than any other Xeon based quad-core system out there?

And no, you never, ever hear elitest comments from the Windows crowd

I use both, and each has their strengths and uses. I like my Mac because of the UNIX underpinnings and lack of virus threats and malware.

-Lance

For the most part, no, you don't hear that from the windows crowd. The only time they talk crap is usually about games, which they have a valid point about.

I am just amazed how we went from standard desktop computers to talking about full blown servers... Price on servers is not the issue at hand. Anyways, there will always be less virus threats on a mac / unix based system since the user base isn't there. If the same number of people used macs and windows there would be the same number of threats... virus writes don't care was system they write for, they just want the most infections with the least effort and that right now means infecting windows boxes.

Yes, I have a mac as well, but I don't say its the greatest thing since sliced bread since it isn't. OMG g3 600mhz 512megs ram 30gb hd osx!!

Anyways, yay for getting off topic. To those that pm'ed me about the osx86 dvd, give me some time to get my dvd burner up and running again.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I'm going to look at it from an even more basic perspective. What do your classes require?

I'm willing to bet they don't specify a certain OS. None of the network classes I took ever required me to have a specific OS at home.

It's going to depend on how the school's curriculum is set up, but I suspect most of the classes are going to be testing knowledge of network standards, physical mediums, the OSI model (which will be drilled into you), how traffic gets routed, how packets are encapsulated, etc, etc.

By the time you get to actually doing labs, it will likely be for routing and remote access, in which case all you'll need is a telnet/ssh app like PuTTY.

If you want both OS's to expand you're knowledge, then by all means go for it, but I doubt your classes will really have a requirement for one or the other. And if they do, the school has to provide computer labs with the necessary equipment anyway.

I know there are a few network engineer's (which I am not) on here who could probably give a bit more guidance on what you'd really want to have if you wanted your own test lab.

Just food for thought....Don't want you spending money you don't need to

Jesse 98.5 SVT (sold) 2000 Explorer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard