Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
So... since the X86 version of Mac OS 10 has come out due to their use of intel processors it has gotten me thinking... Since Apple advertises their new computers as being fully windows compatible (so you can run windows on their computers) I thought to myself "So technically... an el-cheap-o windows PC should be able to run the X86 mac OS). Well heres where I get curious... Im going to school for networking... It REALLY would be nice if I could dual boot my desktop to run Mac OS 10.4 Problem is I dont want to dish out the cash for OS X if I dont know if its going to work... has anybody attempted this before? I will be running it on either a Gateway laptop with a Celeron 310. or my Desktop currently a Barton 2500+ Athlon XP with half a gig of memory.

Any thoughts?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
It is do-able. My toshiba is dual booting osx and winxp. It can work with an amd, but an intel chip would make it easier.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I would think there could be a problem with drivers for the laptop if you go that route since i'm sure gateway uses a lot of propriotary hardware.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
the only problem i see (i could be wrong im not mac boy)
apple sales updates to the os i don't think they sale the whole os like windows

legally its not possible yet but im going to leave it at that

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Only way you're going to do this is through illegal means.

MacOS X has code in it to make sure you're running on Apple hardware. That has to be hacked out to make it work. Then, you'll need to have hardware that MacOS X already supports.

Just buy a Mac, dude!

-Lance
(White 2.0GHz MacBook)

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
'
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
'
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:

MacOS X has code in it to make sure you're running on Apple hardware. That has to be hacked out to make it work. Then, you'll need to have hardware that MacOS X already supports.

Just buy a Mac, dude!

-Lance
(White 2.0GHz MacBook)

+1
(2.16 GHz Macbook Pro)

1999 Black Contour V6 5 speed. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2072975/
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:

Just buy a Mac, dude!

-Lance
(White 2.0GHz MacBook)

Not quite lance. The version that most people are using is the dev version which doesn't have the code in that checks for the apple hardware. The 'hacking' was adding support for other hardware ;0

If you really want to run OSX to get a taste use PearPC, the mac emulator for windows. I don't suggest buying a mac just due to the price and the fact that they try to act like elitest [censored]. So -1 on the buy a mac.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:
The version that most people are using is the dev version which doesn't have the code in that checks for the apple hardware.

i believe running a dev/beta/non retail version of ANY software that you are not qualified to be using constitutes "illegal means." lance ftw.

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Lance and "'99 Contour" ... I don't think AliasJerk is in a financial position to purchase a Mac (even the Mini) unless he feels like working more through his freshman year of college. Especially if it's only going to be for casual use.

Alias (Jared, right?) - I'd either go and purchase an older Mac, a G3 iBook or even Lombard/Pismo G3 PowerBook should do the trick. It will be slow, but bearable enough to get done what you need done. Also, check out if your school has a Mac on campus. My college had one lonely G4 iMac sitting in a corner of one lab, which was nice because their official policy (at the time) was that they didn't support Mac outside of the access-restricted music labs. (They're turning around on that due to an increasing Mac-using population.)

<rant>
I really want the ability to put OSX legally (and not painfully) on a PC. I don't like any of the laptop designs they have out there right now, and Apple doesn't cater to the smaller crowds such as those looking for an ultraportable that is not their primary computer. At least they finally came out with a black one, but the hinge design is still intrusive. I showed somebody my Ti (which are evidently becoming rare nowadays) and they were amazed I could open the display nearly 180°. Ideally I would love a Thinkpad X Series hinged laptop (not tablet) with an extended battery (not available on Power/MacBook), real docking station (only painful BookEndz available for Power/MacBook) and dual-booting WinXP and OSX. Apple will never do it though, I believe they learned their lesson from allowing clones in previous years.
</rant>

(<-- 1GHz Titanium PB, 400MHz G4 PM, G3 PM, PB 3400c, 68040 LCIII)

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Mac OS X is only for Apples, in the EULA, it says "Apple Branded Hardware only"

Doesn't stop me from trying on my Dell.

I figure if Apple thinks it is fair to bash Intel for so many years, bash Microsoft Windows, and now have Intel CPU's in their systems, AND have support to run Microsoft Windows, My x86 PC should be able to run Mac OS.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_Guides

Considering I have a Macintosh G3, I feel it's fair since the G3 is on a KVM

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard