Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
?
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
?
Now this IS funnay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PORTAGE, Ind. -- An Indiana judge fed up with teenage traffic violators is kicking them in the seat -- the driver's seat.

Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent is sentencing the ticketed teens to the embarrassment of riding the school bus, if they are found guilty in her courtroom.

Jent got the idea after a girl in her court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously either the offense or the possible fine.

The judge, who has teenage grandchildren, said she knew she had reached the teen when she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus and the girl started crying outside her courtroom. With that, she figured she found the right punishment.

Teens not complying will be fined and have their licenses suspended.

Jent also warns parents they could be held in contempt of court if they drive their child to school.

Jent said making teenagers ride the bus also makes them take their driving violations seriously.

Jent sent a memo to every law enforcement agency in her jurisdiction, telling them that all moving traffic citations involving drivers age 16 to 18 must be seen by her. She doesn't want their parents to pay a fine or have teens pay the fine and not tell mom and dad.

If the teens violate the order to ride the bus, their driver's license will be suspended, and a fine must be paid. If they follow the order, the matter is dismissed.

Of the dozen or so teens who were given the school-bus orders so far, one was ordered to nine weeks of school-bus riding. Another had total driving restrictions for an entire semester, according to the North West Indiana Times.

"Oh my God, you would have thought I gave her and her mother the death penalty," Jent told the paper.

The punishment is legal. The state statute allows a judge to place any violator on probationary conditions, including license suspensions.

Suck it Trebek! And by Trebek I mean Seaegee!
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Old school right there baby!

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Glad they didn't have that when I was that age. I got lifts at 15. Thank god I had older friends. F the bus mang!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by todras:
Glad they didn't have that when I was that age. I got lifts at 15. Thank god I had older friends. F the bus mang!

Riding the cheese was a respectible form of transportation when where were younger.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'd make em ride the short bus!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Suspending a license is one thing, but making them ride the school bus (shame train) and not allowing parents to drive them to school is excessively intrusive. Not everyone has a schedule which enables them to ride the bus.

Of course, if my license had been suspended, my dad would have made me ride the bus, too.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I agree that taking away a teenager's license is a great idea but to make them ride the bus is too much only because I think that taking the bus might not be practical for everyone.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Batmobile:
I agree that taking away a teenager's license is a great idea but to make them ride the bus is too much only because I think that taking the bus might not be practical for everyone.

And I believe that is the point. The students will have to re-arrange their lives if they want a proper education...thus will think twice about driving like morons next time.
I like this decision.

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
I'd make em ride the short bus!

hells yeah!

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by TBoomer:
Originally posted by Batmobile:

And I believe that is the point. The students will have to re-arrange their lives if they want a proper education...thus will think twice about driving like morons next time.
I like this decision.

+1

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard