Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
yea, you cant work sh!tty jobs all ur life in the begining and expect yourself living the rich life. School is the way to go and you will DEF. be rewarded in the end no matter how much you hate school, dont fail out..

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I went to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and got my Bachelor�s in Computer and Electrical Engineering and then went on to get my Masters in Computer/Electrical Engineering. I currently work for Lockheed Martin as a Systems Engineer in Owego, NY.

I am extremely happy I went to school and finished it all out, but there were definitely times that I absolutely hated it while I was in school. That is natural.

2001 Volvo S40-Perrin MBC@ 11psi, EST intake, 35% tint, still slow
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
I'm in the "I am in college, and don't mind it" category. I work full time, and am a full time student as well. Taking night classes, and being in an adult program, everyone is in the same boat. It's more of an inconvenience than anything, so we all go in there and get our work done so we can go home and relax, and/or see our families, etc.

Then again, I was in a position where I had to grow up a lot faster than all of my High School peers, so going away to college and partying it up, wasn't so much of an option.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
yep, pretty much hated it.
It was enough to make me never want to go back, even for a graduate/masters degree.
I burned myself out, and do not want to ever have to type an essay ever again.
I barely retained any of the information either.

Learning through experience ftw

I'm with Kim. I probably should go back for a Master's but just can't stomach the thought of it.

My degree is basically useless except to put on a resume. BS University of Utah 1997. Paid my own way, lived at home, commuted to campus and held down a job.

Not super fun. Also, not a typical College experience. My wife loved College, and her sister is there now and LOVES it, can't wait to get back! I think they are nuts!

That being said, it does help you in the employment world, especially if you get a useful degree. You won't regret sticking it out and finishing with a degree.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Depends on what you're studying. I hated it with a passion. Every class I took was absolutely atrocious. IMO, the backgrounds that have higher earning potential are often times not the most enjoyable!!! This is a general rule of thumb, though there are some cases where this rule doesn't hold up. Though, I must point out that these instances are even rarer when coupled with the fierce global competition for work.

In terms of enjoyment, it's all relative. Obviously, a more difficult study is going to bog you down w/work and less free time, coupled w/a job and now you're viewing my deprived "college experience!" I guess I speak w/spite due to the added responsibilities I had, that probably hindered my college experience.

Even if it is torture for you now, it's still worth considering to pursue your educational career. From my point of view, it's only a few years of your life; might as well bust your butt now and have good financial stability in your old age. I would also like to argue the point that those currently in school may have a differing response to those out of school. IMO, higher-education is taking a crucial turn in the last few years as a result of a constantly volatile economy. Education is much more competitve now than it was half a decade ago. As a result, I believe it's more stressful, and less rewarding. In today's real world, it is hard to have a mediocre lifestyle even w/ graduating from college. Case in point, I had many friends who studied humanities during their college career and now are working jobs they could have had with just a high school diploma. Though this is just a rouge example, I think it can be upheld as a trend.

Anyways, my advice is just take a year and try it. It won't make you or break you financially, and will give you a good perspective.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Dartmouth College BA - Loved it. Lifelong friends, great alumni network, lots of beer and booty. Oh, and I learned stuff too.

Babson College MBA - Loved it. Lifelong friends, great alumni network, lots of beer and booty. Oh, and I learned stuff too.

Sensing a trend here???

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Originally posted by baco99:

Babson College MBA...lots of beer and booty.

did you cheat on your wife or something? I coulda sworn you were married during that part of your schooling.
lol

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I guess its hard to focus on studying classes when your MADE to take general courses that you have 0 intrest in, Its also hard to work on school when i've been offered jobs to build cars, especially since i LOVE building cars and learning about cars.

Its hard to study when there are so many more fun and intresting things going on in my life.

We'll see how year 2 goes.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
It took a bit to adjust to college, but it definitely was the best years of my life thus far. I am still trying to land the right job to match my BS, but that tends to be the trend.

If I could do it all again I definitely would. I made my best friends there and learned so much about myself and the real world aside from the education. College was definitely something that has dictated my path in life.

Don't get me wrong, there drfinitely were the hard times, but the good times and benefits I am realizing now far out weigh those.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Originally posted by baco99:

Babson College MBA...lots of beer and booty.

did you cheat on your wife or something? I coulda sworn you were married during that part of your schooling.
lol

you forget that we went to the same B-school! so it still applies.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard