Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I got a shock wehn the shop rebuilding my shorblock said that I needed to replace my clutch. I told them they must be mistaken, because my clutch was just 2 yrs old and was never abused. They said that they would just sand down the pressure plates, but that there was some scortching. It operates perfectly now that it's all back together, not to say that I'm not a little worried.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Generally speaking it is wise to replace a clutch when the trans is out if there is any question at all about it's condition. After all it's a lot of work to get back in there if something goes wrong shortly after installing the trans.

You will probably be OK, but that's probably the thinking of the shop that did the work.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yeah I completely understand that. I just don't have $300-$400 for a new clutch, especially after the pricey rebuild. But I do understand that it will cost much more than that if it needs replaced any time soon. Like I said, it's two years old so I hope and pray that it doesn't.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
The last bit of parts for my Turbo 3L include a new clutch and pressure plate. I've been planning to purchase a SPEC stage 3+. I still plan to go that route, but I have to admit your pictures are sobering. Hope they did a better job designing the hub attachment on the stage 3.

I am also planning to run the stock driveaxles. Really.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
but i must say they have a EXCELLENT customer service !
.. but its still sucks to have to pull everything out

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
i received my new clutch today, spec shipped the new one the next morning that they received my default one and it took 3 days to received it to canada

if anybody have a problem with a spec clutch you will see, they have a great customer service !

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Generally speaking it is wise to replace a clutch when the trans is out if there is any question at all about it's condition. After all it's a lot of work to get back in there if something goes wrong shortly after installing the trans.

You will probably be OK, but that's probably the thinking of the shop that did the work.

Yeah that or the thought of tacking on an extra $150 for the minimal labor and cost to surface the flywheel; for very little extra work. Especially if they surface in-house. And not to mention the markup for the parts sale. I've no problem with a company making a profit but usually the sale price is anywhere from 50-100% over cost. Many shops make the bulk of their money on the parts sales. Between parts and labor it's no wonder that they want recommend doing more work.
I imagine it's still called up-selling.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Well OK, but I would be more upset if the clutch failed a short time later and they didn't give me the option.

I've been on the other end and had to deal with customers that must think that technicians have a crystal ball. "Why didn't you replace the wheel bearings when you replaced the tires?", or my favorite, "Why didn't you warn me that my poorly maintained car with nearly 300,000 miles on it wasn't ready to take on a trip?" (She had been warned, but ignored it. The BAR rep didn't know what to say when we showed him the warning on her invoice).

I fully agree that often "upselling" is overly agressive.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
LoL, Touche'

It sucks when no one mentions that worn out disk could use replacement only to get paid twice as much to do it next month. I guess it goes both ways.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
LOL. You can pay me now or pay me later? (and pay more?).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard