#1629368 08/13/06 03:43 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Intermittently and boot up I am getting the error:

"Disk Read Error

Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to restart"

so I do that and it repeats itself.

The first time it happened I switched out the IDE cable and it was fine so I thought i had solved the problem. But then this morning it happened again. So I tried switching the cable again and no change. So I tried a spare hard disk I have laying around and no change...

So I know it's not the disk or the cable so it's the motherboard right? I went into the cmos and changed it to load fail safe settings and it finally worked, but I'm not sure if that was coincidental. In any case the only thing I can think of to try on the motherboard is getting a new battery, any other suggestions.

P.S. It's a gigabyte board, don't know exactly which one.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
#1629369 08/13/06 03:48 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
What version of windows are you running? how long has it been since you have reformatted?

There are a number of reasons why this message would show up... a few of the more common are as followed:
* Hardware failure
* Bad driver
* Corrupt file or volume
* System misconfiguration
* Virus infection

From what I have learned from seeing this message I would guess is that a boot sector is corrupt due to hard disk errors... Or possibly virus infection... When you said you tried another hard drive... When you use another hard drive you need to reformat it and reinstall windows and all of your drivers. You cant just plug a new hard drive in and automatically have everything work.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1629370 08/13/06 04:01 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
What version of windows are you running? how long has it been since you have reformatted?

There are a number of reasons why this message would show up... a few of the more common are as followed:
* Hardware failure
* Bad driver
* Corrupt file or volume
* System misconfiguration
* Virus infection

From what I have learned from seeing this message I would guess is that a boot sector is corrupt due to hard disk errors... Or possibly virus infection... When you said you tried another hard drive... When you use another hard drive you need to reformat it and reinstall windows and all of your drivers. You cant just plug a new hard drive in and automatically have everything work.

I am using windows xp professional. Last time i reformatted:

Wednesday, December 26, 2001, 10:21:39 PM

And i have no plans of reformatting now, I am trying to go for the record time of a windows install.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
#1629371 08/13/06 10:09 PM
'
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
'
Your problem is that you don't have a mac...

1999 Black Contour V6 5 speed. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2072975/
#1629372 08/13/06 11:43 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by '99 Contour SE:

shut the [censored] up...

BOT,
Is this message in the bios? IE does it show before windows comes on?

I have had nothing but good experiences with gigabyte boards.

#1629373 08/14/06 01:19 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by The Digital Slacker:

shut the [censored] up...

BOT,
Is this message in the bios? IE does it show before windows comes on?

I have had nothing but good experiences with gigabyte boards.

I would think it is in the bios...it looks like it is, it comes up right before the windows boot screen.

#1629374 08/14/06 01:22 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er

I've had a mac...no less problems than a wintel machine.

And I think that 5 years on an OS used for every day use...IE surfing the web, chatting, downloading music games and everything else that usually causes problems is pretty damn good. This is all with no virus protection, my ego is too big.

#1629375 08/14/06 05:47 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by 99SVT:

I've had a mac...no less problems than a wintel machine.

I don't have any problems with my PCs.

Well, guess I lied. Hard drive motor was dying after 4.5 years of service (replaced under it's 5 year warranty) and the front USB ports act pretty funny...

...but I'd expect them to since USPS dropped this thing a few times back in 2004! I'm suprised it still works.

Not to mention it's a 1.4GHz (equivalent to what, a 800-1GHz G4?) that still holds it's own, unlike older Macs I've used.

I'm not bashing Macs too much (I've always wanted one), but it's like your car... If you don't know how to take care of it, it will break on you.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
#1629376 08/15/06 09:13 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Update:

Booted with windows xp cd and attempted to do a "repair" which I thought would be an automated windows repair deal, but it just took me to a dos prompt. So i rebooted and it started with no errors once again.

Next time I tried to start, my computer came back with disk read error.

Plopped the windows xp cd in again to mess around with and now it begins to read the cd for a minute or so and then boots from hard drive no problem.

Take the cd out. Disk read error.

Put it in. It says "boot from cd..." the cd spins for a minute and then the computer boots from the hard disk not the cd with no errors...

Weird...

#1629377 08/15/06 09:53 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Sounds like some bad sectors on your HDD, or it's just dying altogether. my 2�¢

00SEMTXMeshgrill,KKM&K&N,Fogsmodded,17"MotegiFF5's,SilverELgauges,BlueLEDinterior,Knaubered Trubendzw/magnaflowhttp://www.sl33stak.com FSVT Smart pump
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard