Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by G Stone:
Originally posted by sigma:
That's not a horrible price. And $10,000 seems way too low, IMHO.

1-Year older fully-loaded Mazda6s without the same mileage list for about $6,000 more than that at retail. I doubt just an extra year would make the car a full 40% less in value, even if the design is a little old.

What they're asking is in line with KBB and NADA retail values, and I imagine $10,000 is less than the paid for the car in the first place so I doubt you'll get them that low unless they've had the car for a while and just want to cut their losses.

Would I pay $12,000 for a Millenia? No. But there are apparently many people who will. All the Millenias on lots in my area with similar mileage are listed at $14,000 to $15,000 (The $15K one is an 'S' with 50k). Only one is remotely close to $10,000 and it's a base model with almost 80,000 miles on it for.

$12K Out-The-Door is probably a good price to shoot for, IMHO, if you really like the car. That's probably a sale price of something like $11,200. That's a whole lot less than you could pick one up for around here anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that 10 grand would be pretty low as well. The car is attractive to me and 12K out the door doesn't sound bad. I like the car but for my price rang (10-12K) it doesn't seem like I can find much more of a car with lower miles on it. I feel whatever car I get it will grow on me, just like my Contour did. I recall not likeing that car at all when it was given to me. I guess I'll keep my eyes open and possibly try to pick this car up for a good price.

What Sigma is saying makes sense. But they're asking full retail for a car that they haven't fully reconditioned from the sound of it. I just did a rough check on Edmunds and the car goes for around $9k on a trade-in and dealer retail is $12,800 for a car in EXCELLENT condition. It's a 4 year old car that needs a little reconditioning. With that said, I'd go no more than 11,200 with the extended warranty out the door. I'm sure they got it for far less than 12,000. You'd be shocked as to how little dealerships pay for off-leased cars. I'd even venture to say that they probably scored it for around 9k-ish if not right at wholesale. From the condition you describe they probably didn't have to put a lot into it after the fact either. Another thing to consider, you're not talking about a car that's in high demand like a BMW 3 series or a Honda Accord. So I think $11,200 w/warranty out the door is a fair price. I'm pretty sure that if you walked in there playing hardball with $11,200, you'd drive out of there with the car. The best thing you can do is your research and have $$$ in hand. That's JMO though. Good luck.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I had 3 millenias, 2-S's 1-std.

Nice enough, but trans doesn't shift when you want it to and there is a lack of uuummmppphhh (low end power) on the non-S, also "no" brakes (the front discs are smaller than the rears) and the car ain't light. Great on the highway though, looks nice as well.

good luck

01 PORSCHE 996 Merdian/Black Full Aero Fabspeed mufflers Fabspeed CAI B & M shifter 96 GL MTX Zetec 2.0 White/Blue Blaupunkdt Houston K & N Drop in/Koni Kit 18"RageEnduros/Flowmaster 40 Series
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
What area of MN are you looking in?

Have you considered a Maxima?

$12K seems high to me. Checkout this one: 2001 Millena S

or this one.

another to consider.

This one will give you a lot more for the same $$

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by XKontour98:
What area of MN are you looking in?

Have you considered a Maxima?

$12K seems high to me. Checkout this one: 2001 Millena S

or this one.

another to consider.

This one will give you a lot more for the same $$

I am looking in preferablly the Brainerd, St Cloud, Fargo, Alexandria areas. Although it seems like a lot of these cars are located in the cities. As for the cars you brought up on carsoup:

The first one has a salvage title and the guy is trying to scam someone.

The second one I am seriously considering rather than the one at the dealer. One year older (same style as the 2002, no changes) 10,000 more miles for prolly round 9 grand sounds good to me. Might have my uncle who lives in the cities take a look at that one for me.

For the rest, I really don't like the old Maxima style. The new ones are very nice but obviously far out of my price range.

Just got an insurance quote from my insurance company and they quoted me $160 per month for full coverage. The S would be $200. Do these seem like fair quotes? I was paying a little more than $100 per month for the Contour. With 2 accidents on my records the insurance company may try to get me off their insurance after awhile. Right now, they seem like fair prices to me. Hopefully I can find a car soon, I'm going nuts driving my mommy's car.

Champagne 1995 Ford Contour LX R.I.P. - 7/11/06 V6 2.5L 24v DOHC Oversized System
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
The latest style Maxima may not be as expensive as you might think. Here are a few examples in the $13K-16K range:

2004 Maxima $13.5K 28K Miles
2005 Maxima $14K 44K Miles
2004 Maxima $16K 75K Miles

Sure, you'd have to take a 1-way flight to a non-rust belt state (bonus!) and drive back home, but what better way to cruise than in a 'new' Maxima!?!

For only a few grand more than your current price target, you'll enter an entirely new class of vehicle. Maxima's are known for their reliability as well as performance -- there's a ton of aftermarket parts for them as well.

Keep doing your homework and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Good luck!

1996 Ford Contour SE (Mine): V-6 MTX/DMD/MSDS/K&N3530/Torsen/Spec-1/Split-Exhaust/Walbro/Syncromax..119K 2003 GMC Yukon XL SLT (Hers): 285HP/Stock..93K
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
I know these are a bit of a distance from you, but may be worth the drive, if you find the right car. I work at a very large clinic with around 30,000 employees and I found these in the employee classifieds. Let me know if you want any contact info on them.

2001 Volvo S60 2.4T. 64,000 miles. Blue exterior, tan leather interior. Excellent condition. Asking $12,500

2003 VW Passat GLS, V6, White, Charcoal interior, Automatic, Sunroof, Monsoon stereo, Traction control, EX COND, 76k miles, 100k mile EXTENDED WARRANTY, $12k

2001 Chrysler 300M, 28K, Like new, Ex Cond, Leather, Heated seats, power sunroof, power everything, Premium sound system, 4 disc in dash cd. $11,500

and if you come across a lottery winning:

Beautiful MINT condition fully loaded Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG Hardtop convertible! 496HP! This is the fourth US spec SL55 AMG to have ever been sold in the United States! $92k

Sorry mods if this is a violation, feel free to remove the prices.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
go with a mazda 6 used 2003 and up. Get the newer style maxima , it's worth it for the money. Try even the VW passat, and you'll drive home happy and with more VALUE in your pocket.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard