Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by g r y m e s:
I am a little worried about the crank size. I have ridden this bike in a large already, but not the 175mm crank. Not too sure the length of the one I rode, stock, whatever that is. Hopefully its not too big of a difference. Hopefully Derk can offer some advice.

172.5mm is the "standard" crank. Not a huge difference, but to some it's uncomfortable. I think it's appropriate for a large frame. FWIW, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ride the Giant Medium frame. I have a tall seatpost and 110mm (IIRC) stem. My guess is that you'd fit better on a medium frame from Giant, but you could still fit on a Large frame w/ a shorter stem (90-100mm). Do you know the size of the frame?

Originally posted by g r y m e s:
Sad news, I think someone was trying to school me. This doesn't seem like a legit deal anymore after doing some research.

Dang... I just saw this after writing that last part.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by TGO:

but 4k is simply ridiculous.

I wont argue with you there. Bikes have become really expensive. But, I'm starting to look for a new bike and I'm planning on spending a good 3K or so (I'll probably build it up myself).

To a large degree, the $$ spent on saving 50g off your bike is pointless. The average rider (and probably most of the elite riders) wont notice the difference.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
i have a giant TCR1 road bike (ultegra components, carbon seatpost and fork but aluminum frame) and have been very pleased w/ it....I think it listed for something like $1800 new but i got it at a year-end closeout sale for a little under $1200. still a ton of money for what has ended up not being ridden very often (mtn biking is my preference), but a great bike for the $$ IMHO.

sounds like a moot point if the deal isn't legit, but...oh well.

to those finding it shocking that anyone would spend that much $$ on a bike....eh, everyone has their priorities. to anyone who rides regularly, a $100 huffy and a $1k (or greater) mtn bike or road bike are NOT going to the job equally well unless your definition of "riding" is contained within the neighborhood streets or something. weight, build quality, component durability, and frame geometry all have a big impact and all cost money to "do" properly....so to a certain extent you do get what you pay for. i could never personally justify $5k for a bike, but then i'm at best a recreational weekend rider and that's about it.

my .02....

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Sorry to hear the deal wasn't real - that's a great price. I would have said to do something about the seat height to bar height difference or your neck will suffer big time after you've been riding a few hours.

I do a lot of long distance riding, an occasional 24 hour race, 1200km (750 miles) timed events, etc. For your height and inseam you'd probably want to go with 170 or 172.5mm cranks for spinning purposes.

For the lowdown on bikes and a great collection of cycling enthusiasts who don't think $4k or more is too much to spend for something without a motor drop by the Bicycling magazine forums and sign up.

Bicycling Magazine Forums

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
well i have spent $7500 3 cannondales(2006 rush 1000,1998 super v 700,1997 f400) and that doesn't even count all of the tools and supplies i have. i will be looking at getting a road bike next year and the price is $1500-$2000 for a cannondale r1000. my wife thinks i am crazy as well as a lot of other people but i ride 3-4 times a week all year long. hope you find a bike soon!

2006 fusion sel 1998 grand prix gtp(wife) 1993 dodge shadow es(winter beater)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard