Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
IMO if your lookin' for a good OTC product to use on your silver frost go with NXT, but be prepared to apply it about once a month, although its so easy to use, thats not a problem BTW make sure you clay your car first, its WELL worth it and those are also available OTC as well, probably Clay Magic or Mothers clay bar is whats available nearest you. Canadian Tire is a good place to start lookin' or "lets get started" as they say in their commercials

The caranubas I have don't dust up when I remove them, but then again I don't use any junk either (i.e. Mequiars in the burgendy bottles )

I'd stick with the synthetics as well on light colored cars as you can't really get any depth out of silver of other light colored cars. I don't know why you don't just go ahead and order "Z" or Klasse and have at it, you will not be sorry, trust us

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Meguiars has a relatively new wax called Synthetic Sealant (#21). I've used this wax and I love it! On my SF SVT and my Patriot Blue Jeep GC it appears to combine the reflection of synthetic w/ the depth of carnuba. Goes on easy (very thin coats) and wipes off even easier. Lasts a lot longer than NXT does. It's been at least 2 months since my last wax job on my Jeep, and the water still beeds up. Meguiars only sells it in the 64 oz bottle (intended for professional detailers), but you can get sample bottles (12 oz) at Auto Detailing Solutions. As with any wax, proper surface preparation is required in order to get the best results (appearance and longevity).

1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760, Silver Frost/Midnight Blue Koni Kit, Mille Miglia MM-S rims, B&M shifter, Stazi mesh, SFCs, optimized Y-pipe & TB, SS break lines, K&N drop-in, Infinity Kappa speakers, MTX amp/sub
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
64 oz and how much does it cost for that bottle

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Zaino!

Take your time and do it right... strip the existing wax with dishwashing detergent, clay bar it and then go for what they recommend on the site..

I'd recommend clay bar - ZFX w/ Z2 and Z5

Crispy 99 Cougar - Arancio Atlas/Grey Graphite Pearl Custom Widebody 98 CSVT - Silver Frost #4014/6535 - Born 10/21/97 98 CSVT - Silver Frost #4085/6535 - Born 11/10/97 See My Rides
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I believe the 64 oz is something like $40. The 12 oz sampler is $10 and comes with a nice Megiuars squeeze bottle. I've waxed my Jeep GC 2x and my SVT once w/ my sampler and It's hard to tell that any wax is gone from the bottle! 12 oz is more than sufficient for the average car enthusiast.

On the Zaino front (and every wax) do not use dish detergent to "strip the wax." Yes, it works well for that purpose but it also strips all the nutrients out of the plastic and rubber components on your car. (Makes you wonder how good a product is if the developers recommend this step....maybe they have a good rubber/plastic restorer that they are trying to sell?).

Wash, clay bar and then use a paint cleaner to prepare the surface(I use Meguiars #83 or #80). Follow up w/ polish and LSP (Zaino, NXT, #21, whatever you like).

1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760, Silver Frost/Midnight Blue Koni Kit, Mille Miglia MM-S rims, B&M shifter, Stazi mesh, SFCs, optimized Y-pipe & TB, SS break lines, K&N drop-in, Infinity Kappa speakers, MTX amp/sub
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I agree about the dishsoap, thats nuts

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by phd2be:
On the Zaino front (and every wax) do not use dish detergent to "strip the wax." Yes, it works well for that purpose but it also strips all the nutrients out of the plastic and rubber components on your car. (Makes you wonder how good a product is if the developers recommend this step....maybe they have a good rubber/plastic restorer that they are trying to sell?).

As I've stated many a time - I disagree.

Using properly diluted Dawn on plastic/rubber will do nothing. If those areas of your car are already in bad shape, it actually helps strip the loose, black residue off. Then applying a sealant on top will help restore the rubber to a protected black finish.

I have detailed 3 SVTs alone that when you touched the rubber trim, it left black residue on your hands. Dish soap is stronger than a car shampoo and helped to remove the black residue. Once the black residue stops coming off on the wash mitt, then it's prepped for sealant.

Originally posted by GTO Pete:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a Dawn or any other dish liquid on your paint - as long as you use it sparingly and infrequently. When diluted and rinsed properly, dish soap does no harm to your car.

To all those screaming that dish soap is harmful:
Prove it. Otherwise, please refrain from posting unsupported information.

Instead of using heresay and undocumented, unproven statements, test it for yourself. Take some diluted Dawn and wash a small section of rubber trim on a brand new car. Does it visibly do any "harm"? No. If anything it will remove whatever product that was on there. Car shampoos merely wash off the dirt. Apply sealant and the trim looks brand new.

I have done it on every car I have owned. Brought it home, dish soap to wash dealership junk wax off and applied Zaino. Repeat process every couple years. Even after 6+ years, my rubber trim and black window trim looked brand new, glossy black - local CEGers can attest to that.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I

As I've stated many a time - I disagree.

Using properly diluted Dawn on plastic/rubber will do nothing. If those areas of your car are already in bad shape, it actually helps strip the loose, black residue off. Then applying a sealant on top will help restore the rubber to a protected black finish.

It's so nice to have someone to share the flames with me! .....and you're absolutely right Pete!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Instead of using heresay and undocumented, unproven statements, test it for yourself. Take some diluted Dawn and wash a small section of rubber trim on a brand new car. Does it visibly do any "harm"? No. If anything it will remove whatever product that was on there. Car shampoos merely wash off the dirt. Apply sealant and the trim looks brand new.

In my younger, unimformed days, I actually used Dawn soap to wash my car prior to waxing it. I used a few drops of Dawn soap in 1 gallon of water. One day I noticed that the black trim along the windshield was looking very dull. After some research online, I discovered that it was most likely due to my wax stripping technique. After an application of Meguiars #39 to remove the worn out oxidized plastic (OMG was my rag black!), my trim is looking top notch again.

Dawn soap definately has a place in my detailing arsenal...I use it to clean the wax off of my PC pads and it works like a champ!

But, if washing cars w/ Dawn works for you, that's good. If you recommend it to people, please make sure to define what "diluted" means (x oz/gallon) as that can make the difference between stripping the wax and stripping the nutrients from the plastic and rubber.

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
In my younger, unimformed days, I actually used Dawn soap to wash my car prior to waxing it. I used a few drops of Dawn soap in 1 gallon of water. One day I noticed that the black trim along the windshield was looking very dull.

You know for a fact it was from the Dawn? IF you were using a sealant on the trim after each time, there would be no problems.

After some research online, I discovered that it was most likely due to my wax stripping technique.

You said it yourself "most likely", but you don't know for sure. "Research online" means absolutely nothing without proof. I've searched and read plenty regarding it and found no proof that it does harm. Only "Don't use it, it's bad" types of advice.

After an application of Meguiars #39 to remove the worn out oxidized plastic (OMG was my rag black!), my trim is looking top notch again.

90%+ of people don't want to spend extra money on products, let alone products that they will rarely use. Dawn works just as well and everyone has dish soap in their house.

But, if washing cars w/ Dawn works for you, that's good.

For me and many others. Has for years.

If you recommend it to people, please make sure to define what "diluted" means (x oz/gallon) as that can make the difference between stripping the wax and stripping the nutrients from the plastic and rubber.

Do you have any proof that it indeed strips the nutrients from the plastic and rubber? If you recommend not using it, I offer the same challenge I have offered others who do not recommend it - let's see proof, not speculation or sites simply stating not to use it.

Most of the same sites that say it's not good to use dish soap don't even know that applying a sealant works better than using a rubber specific protectant.

If your rubber and plastic are in good shape:
Dawn is fine to remove any old wax. Then apply a sealant to nourish the rubber/plastic and protect it.

If your rubber/plastic is in bad shape:
Dawn will remove any old wax and clean the black residue off. Then apply a sealant to nourish the rubber/plastic and protect it.

The keys are:
- proper dilution (as you stated, couple drops of dish soap per gallon)
- frequency of use -> only when completely stripping wax off car to start new
- properly sealing afterwards

I respect your opinion, but I base my opinions on real-world experience over the past 10+ years and many, many cars I have detailed. I have even spoken to a andful of reputable wax company reps regarding using dish soap and they agree with my opinion. Most "problems arise when the "keys" I have noted above are not followed.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard