Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
I was running some errands at lunchtime. On my way back from to work I was climbing the overpass at Monroe and the San Tomas Expressway, when I went to shift into 3rd......NOTHING! Dead stick! WTF? Fortunately I had enough momentum to make it over the hill, then make a hard right turn at Walsh, then another right turn at the next corner. I shut her down and cursed. One hundred degrees outside and I was stranded. I fired her up and found I had second gear but no other gears. Woo hoo! At least I could drive her to the shop for repairs. Got to the shop and was told there are no tranny parts for the CSVT. A quick look by the service counselor and I was told the tranny is OK, just the linkage was probably hosed. No big deal he assured me. I will get a call tomorrow with the damage report. It just might be time to bail on the CSVT and buy something else. No tranny parts? Because it is a limited production model and not like a Taurus is the reason I was given. Whoa! I live in San Jose near Campbell. I drove up to Hayward yesterday to visit a friend. Good thing it did not happen up there! Lucky me! Will post the post mortem tomorrow.

1998.5 Contour SVT - Silver/Blue - 107K miles.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
well seing as how I just had a fully rebuilt trans. I would say that they still make the parts for the car. I hope you just had some linkage problems where it was just a bolt or something along those lines

Built April 18th 1998 #5770 of 6535 Reborn: July 11, 2004 3L and gone again 12/13/2005 new ride: 98 Silver frost SVT with all my old goodies!!!!
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Thanks Johnny H. That is good to know.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by ValCor:
Thanks Johnny H. That is good to know.

The MTX-75 in the SVT is the same as the regular Contour/Mystique and Cougar. Parts should be readily available.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There is a good chance that the shift cable end bushing has worn out and allowed the cable to pop off the trans. As a temp repair you can tie it back up with a nylon tie.

For much more detail about this, see my post from about a year ago "it finally happened".

You can replace just the shift cable end, and even better, you can swap the bushing out of the new end so that you don't have to remove the old cable end and go through the hassle of adjusting.

Some dealers may tell you that you must replace the entire cable. You should call Bill Jenkins at Team Ford in Las Vegas. He should still be able to get the ends by themselves.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
time for a short shifter

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
I got the call from the mechanic; it is indeed the cable and not the tranny. He is going to order the part today. I don't have a garage or tools or time to do the repair myself so I have to bite the bullet and have them do it. At least I know it is nothing serious and I'll have my baby back in a couple of days. I feel relieved. Whew! Sigh! Thanks guys for your replies. This forum rocks!

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
glad it wasn't too serious of a problem. hopefully you will have it back in no time. I just wish that I could say the same, I am waiting on the clutch to arrive so that I can finish the job

Built April 18th 1998 #5770 of 6535 Reborn: July 11, 2004 3L and gone again 12/13/2005 new ride: 98 Silver frost SVT with all my old goodies!!!!
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by johnny hennessy:
glad it wasn't too serious of a problem. hopefully you will have it back in no time. I just wish that I could say the same, I am waiting on the clutch to arrive so that I can finish the job

BTW Johnny H, how are you doing these days after the surgery and all? Are you well enough to drive a 5-speed again? I'm just curious is all. I had part of my colon removed a few years back and I've recovered completely. But my surgery was not as extensive as yours. Hope you are doing well and good luck with your ride my man. Beers!

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Thats cool thats its just the linkage. The same thing happened to me half a year ago and I nursed her home in 2nd and thought I was going to spend a fortune getting it fixed but it was like a little $1 part that I got at Autozone and she was good to go. Huge relief.

98' CSVT #1578 of 6535 Born July 3rd, 1997 My Ride Others: 98 Grand Am GT (For Sale) 02 Firebird
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard