Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1615692 07/24/06 03:36 AM
H
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
H
Today I had to work at Pater Kamanros Jr.(Owner of the Hurricanes). Well it was his day with the cup. Mr. Kamanros wife asked if we wanted are pictures taken with the cup. The pic is from a polaroid so it's not the greatest pic.

The guy who travels with the cup had some pretty cool stories about what players do with it. He said he had to fish it out of the bottom of Mario lemieux pool once.

Mike

1998.5 CSVT Black/Midnight blue 4895 of 6535 DOB Feb 28, 1998 Kanuberized Nightshade Tails 17 inch RS5s http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2064434/1
#1615693 07/24/06 03:44 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Cool, but it belongs in Calgary.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1615694 07/24/06 03:47 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Thats awesome. Le magnifique

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
#1615695 07/24/06 04:12 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Tourige:
Cool, but it belongs in Calgary.

x2

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
#1615696 07/24/06 04:49 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Much. Distaste. For it's current home.

<--Buffalo. Regardless, very cool

#1615697 07/24/06 06:22 AM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
It belongs North of the Mason Dixon line, preferrably above the 49th parallel.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
#1615698 07/24/06 01:13 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Beowulf:

<----------Nope, it's fine right where it is, thank you!

Martin My Profile 2000 Contour SE V6 ATX 170K miles Hecho en Mexico Steel blue w/greystone interior 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon 146K
#1615699 07/24/06 01:23 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Martin:
Originally posted by Beowulf:

<----------Nope, it's fine right where it is, thank you!

I agree. Go Whalers!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
#1615700 07/24/06 01:33 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Oh yeah, here's some pictures I took of the Cup at the Durham Bulls game a few weeks ago:

Martin My Profile 2000 Contour SE V6 ATX 170K miles Hecho en Mexico Steel blue w/greystone interior 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon 146K
#1615701 07/24/06 01:43 PM
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
I also have issues with Lord Stanley's Cup being ANYWHERE south, but at least it's being put to good use by a few people:

Posted Wed 19 July 2006 09:13
Glen Wesley decided to spend part of his day with the Stanley Cup with members of Wounded Warrior Barracks at Camp Lejeune.
Wesley shares Stanley
Cup with U.S. Marines
By John McGourty | NHL.com | July 19, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Glen Wesley and his wife, Barb, have often passed by Parris Island, home of the U.S. Marines' Camp Lejeune, when they take their three children to the beach. Camp Lejeune is the East Coast training base for Marines.

Wesley knew that many Marines injured in battle rehabilitate at the base and he is aware of the debt that we all owe to these valiant soldiers.

As a member of the Stanley Cup-winning Hurricanes, Wesley was entitled to one day with the Stanley Cup and he decided to spend part of that day with members of Wounded Warrior Barracks at Camp Lejeune.

Wesley hoped it would help pay respect and raise the spirits of the wounded Marines and that it did.

Glen, Barb and their three kids spent last Thursday with the II Marine Expeditionary Force, sharing the Stanley Cup.

"The idea to visit came from my wife and me," said Wesley. "We pass by this base all the time, and we wanted to stop by to visit some of the Marines here."

It was an amazing visit. The Marines joked with Wesley about his injuries and theirs. Some compared the severity of the injuries that he's suffered stopping pucks and being banged into the boards to the injuries they've received from suicide bombers, improvised explosive devices and conventional ordnance.

Related Links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 Stanley Cup Travels
HHOF: Expanded Cup Journals
2006 Stanley Cup coverage

"It's fun to talk to the Marines," said Wesley, who has spent 18 years years in the NHL with Boston, Toronto, Hartford and Carolina. "We can compare injuries. Although mine didn't come from a bullet or (improvised explosive device), but it's similar, so we have that in common."

Wesley brought the Stanley Cup into the Wounded Warrior Barracks and placed it on a table. The Marines gathered round to read the names inscribed on the Cup's rings and point out their favorite players and teams. Then they engaged Wesley in a round of questions and answers.

"Do you still have all your teeth," they asked and Wesley assured them that he did.

The Wounded Warrior Barracks house 43 Marines who were injured while fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell told Jennifer Brevorka of the Raleigh News and Observer.

"The barracks provide a sense of purpose and support for men who suffered injuries that keep them separated from their units and families," Maxwell said.

The group, as befits a military unit, even has its own ranking officers.

Glen Wesley was able to lift the spirits of the Marines at Camp Lejeune.
One of them hails from a suburban Philadelphia hockey hotbed.

"I've been a big hockey fan since I was a kid, so I was pretty excited when I found out we were going to get to see the Stanley Cup," said Sgt. Jason Simms, 2nd squad leader at the Wounded Warrior Barracks.

"It's the oldest trophy in sports and it's been through a lot," said the native of Havertown, Pa., who added he believes the legend that the Stanley Cup brings good luck to anyone who touches it.

Havertown, just west of Philadelphia, is home to the Skatium, one of the oldest rinks in the area.

When the Marines were through asking Wesley questions, he had a few of his own. Glen and Barb asked the Marines about their hometowns, combat experiences, injuries and prognoses. Both were impressed with Marines' positive outlook and camaraderie.

Wesley is a very low-key guy, soft-spoken and lacking in bluster. Humility is a big part of his makeup. If the Marines were expecting a big-time sports star with an entourage and ego to match, Wesley doesn't fit the bill. Like most Marines, Wesley is quiet, disciplined, skilled at what he does and most comfortable in a team environment.

"I was more star struck by the Cup than by the player," said Simms, who was one of the first in line to have his picture taken with the Stanley Cup. "The whole visit was really awesome."

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard