Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rob___ Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Hey All,

I've got a Haynes Manual (piece of crap)

I've got the How To Article (much better than the Haynes)

Working on the front left spring/strut:
I had no problem getting out all the bolts out to free the strut (used my airtools), but can't get the darn strut to come out! The knuckle is in the way.

I should mention I DID NOT take the knuckle off the A-arm, as I don't have a TORX bit that big...is this step NEEDED? The Haynes manual doesn't even mention taking that bolt out...nor do they use spring compressors...I don't see how this darn strut is gonna come out...help..

If I do need the TORX bit ...what size is it? The largest I have is a T-50.

I was very close to packing everything up and taking it in to have it done, but I decided to see if you guys could help.

Rob
PS. I am or hopefully will be installing the BAT Kit.

Last edited by Rob___; 07/19/06 04:37 AM.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
The Ford cd does say to remove that bolt, but it also doesn't specify the torx size. If anyone has the size, that would be very useful!

I'm hoping Sears carries it as I was just planning on buying various large metric torx and returning the ones that didn't fit. I'm hoping it's not a snapon item... they take forever to ship!

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
T-55

R
Rob___ Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
T-55...damn 5 off...

So there is no way (read: no proper way) I can do this without removing that TORX bolt?

Rob

H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Don't think so.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
I'm also in the middle of a suspension swap, and you're right, there is no proper way to remove the front struts without removing that bolt. However, I managed to remove them with the help of spring compressors and a lot of muscle work. It was a pain in the arse, but it worked without breaking any parts. If you don't have spring compressors, I believe you can rent them from Autozone and other parts shops like them.

'98 SVT Contour (Bilstein Struts w/BAT Euro Spring kit.) '95 SHO Taurus (R.I.P.)
R
Rob___ Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by 98EssVeeTee:
I'm also in the middle of a suspension swap, and you're right, there is no proper way to remove the front struts without removing that bolt. However, I managed to remove them with the help of spring compressors and a lot of muscle work. It was a pain in the arse, but it worked without breaking any parts. If you don't have spring compressors, I believe you can rent them from Autozone and other parts shops like them.

Yeah...I tried that but wasn't able to get the spring compressors up in the wheel well far enough to pop the strut out...

I was pushing, pullin, with no luck...

I guess it's to Canandian Tire to get that damn TORX bit.

R
Rob___ Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Anyone have the 1998 Ford service manual? Know where I can download it?

Pls send me an email

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Originally posted by Rob___:
T-55...damn 5 off...

So there is no way (read: no proper way) I can do this without removing that TORX bolt?

Rob

Not without a 6' pry bar, couple friends and possible more bills due to bent parts.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
R
Rob___ Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Andy W.:

Not without a 6' pry bar, couple friends and possible more bills due to bent parts.

-Andy

LOL...so, I'll take that as a no

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard