Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I have a new more significant problem, but maybe this will point to a more definate issue/solution. After a week or so of a sudden and major driveability change where engine rpms ran high at all speeds/gears(automatic), tempature guage ran near/under the cold mark I can no longer keep my Contour running.

Yesterday while driving home from work the temp guage started to rise back up to the midpoint at the "R" in Normal when I was unable to restart it after stopping at a store. A person had to give me a jump to start and I was able to get back across the road to my home but now it won't stay running.

Removing the battery and placing it on a charger shows its fully charged, but the car constantly needs a jump to start. Once started, reving the gas in park in an attempt to charge the battery only results in a stall once I lift the peddal up. Even when I can put it into drive and start moving, as soon as I use the break and turn a the same time, the car will stall.

What should I do to get it running long enough so I can take it in to a shop to fix or even drive it to a dealer as a trade in? What could cause such a major change in the behavior of the vehicle when it ran fine a week or two ago?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Check wiring from battery to alternator and battery to ground (especially the one which goes under the Power Distribution Box next to the battery). In addition, check wiring/connectors to the Crankshaft Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, MAF sensor and IAC valve.

From Ford CD.
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Removal
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Raise vehicle on a hoist (or jack up and put on jack stands).
3. On 2.5L engine-equipped vehicles, remove splash shield from RH front fender apron.
4. Disconnect the fuel charging wiring or engine control sensor wiring (depending upon application) from the crankshaft position sensor (CKP sensor).
5. Remove crankshaft position sensor retaining bolt and remove crankshaft position sensor.

Installation
1. Make sure crankshaft position sensor mounting surface is clean. If equipped, make sure that the crankshaft position sensor O-ring is in proper location on crankshaft position sensor.
2. CAUTION: Do not overtighten crankshaft position sensor retaining bolt or damage to the crankshaft position sensor may occur.
Position crankshaft position sensor and install retaining bolt. On 2.0L engine-equipped vehicles, tighten retaining bolt to 6-9 N-m (53-80 lb-in). On 2.5L engine-equipped vehicles, tighten retaining bolt to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in).
3. Properly route fuel charging wiring or engine control sensor wiring (depending upon application) and connect electrical connector to crankshaft position sensor.
4. On 2.5L engine-equipped vehicles, install splash shield. Tighten retaining screws securely.
5. Lower vehicle.
6. Connect battery ground cable.

Picture compliments of Chongo.
Originally posted by chongo:

See if the wires harness is lose. Tough to test it as the PID's on the service cd need the car running.
Autozone sells them for $13.99
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
1998 FORD CONTOUR WELLS SU292 3 MO $13.99

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/13/06 12:43 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Since the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CKP) is an engine electrical component, can driving on a malfunctioning one change the alternator's current making it overcharge the battery and ruin it over about a week's driving time?

I'm trying to determine why my Contour will start with a portable battery pack attached to the car's battery, but the car's battery by itself will not turn the engine over. The car's battery is showing an output of about 14v on a volt meter and it should be 12v. Unfortunately, I do not have device for testing amp drain under a starter load.

Has anyone experienced a bad CKP burning up a battery or frying an alternator?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Nesaukee:
Since the Crankshaft Position Sensor(CKP) is an engine electrical component, can driving on a malfunctioning one change the alternator's current making it overcharge the battery and ruin it over about a week's driving time?

I'm trying to determine why my Contour will start with a portable battery pack attached to the car's battery, but the car's battery by itself will not turn the engine over. The car's battery is showing an output of about 14v on a volt meter and it should be 12v. ...

Malfunction alternator (voltage regulator) "fried" the battery.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard