Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Alright was looking for some input on a computer monitor, I need one. It looks like after reading the 2 big ones are lcd flat panels, and old crt monitors. I could realy care less about the weight or size of the monitor so its looking like an older model might be plenty, i have read that some lcd monitors have a dvi input? What is that? does it have something to do with high def.? Im looking at 19-21" dont want anything to much smaller. I also read that alot of people focus on what resolution the monitor makes. I will prob. use the monitor for minor game playing, i would guess that would be were a high res. would help but i dont know. Anyways help me out guys. Any good brands to look out for or more importantly NOT look out for. Thanks

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
While LCD's have been getting better and better, and cheaper and cheaper you might be able to get a CRT that looks better for the same or less money. The killer with a CRT will be shipping, if you didn't buy it locally. A little less than 2 years ago I went from dual 19" CRT's to one 19" LCD, primarialy to save space. While the LCD is a tad brighter, it still doesn't equal the color accuracy of the old CRT.

Having said that, if you do buy an LCD, get one with the DVI connection. It is very important at higher resolutions, for better image quality. Just make sure that your computer has one of these as well, you can get an adapter, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

It doesn't look like they have any great deals right now, but Dell often has some good deals on their LCD's which are some of the best out there. If you keep your eye on slickdeals.net or any of the "bargain hunting" web sites these deals pop up pretty often.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
What screen size and resolution do you use now?

My problem with non-laptop LCD's is there are not enough pixels per inch. 19" LCs' are generally 1280x1024 which is huge compared to my 19" CRT (18" viewible) @ 1600x1200.

(2) 17" LCD's @ 1280x1024 for under $300 would be what I recommend. sometimes you can even find a decent 19" under $150ea. CRT's are still better IMHO for image quality, but the weight, size are not worth the cost delta these days.

Dell does often have great deals on their LCD's and their DVI LCD line (xx07 models) is probably the best value on the market. Good enough for most gamers.

DVI is a type of input (cable) that provides a better signal. You need a video card that supports it which can be had for under $50 as well. Dual DVI is more costly. Any monitor that supports DVI also supports the standard D-sub as well, but you'll notice the quality if you switch between the two type of cables.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by APT:
What screen size and resolution do you use now?

My problem with non-laptop LCD's is there are not enough pixels per inch. 19" LCs' are generally 1280x1024 which is huge compared to my 19" CRT (18" viewible) @ 1600x1200.

(2) 17" LCD's @ 1280x1024 for under $300 would be what I recommend. sometimes you can even find a decent 19" under $150ea. CRT's are still better IMHO for image quality, but the weight, size are not worth the cost delta these days.

Dell does often have great deals on their LCD's and their DVI LCD line (xx07 models) is probably the best value on the market. Good enough for most gamers.

DVI is a type of input (cable) that provides a better signal. You need a video card that supports it which can be had for under $50 as well. Dual DVI is more costly. Any monitor that supports DVI also supports the standard D-sub as well, but you'll notice the quality if you switch between the two type of cables.

I concur, my brother gave me his old 15 inch LCD he bought when the LCD monitor was new, its a Samsung Syncmaster 151P designed by FA Porsche. It has an option to run off VGA or DVI, so I have two computers pluged into it. when I switch back and forth I can see the DVI is considerably crisper then the VGA, the monitor only runs at 1024x768. But thats plenty enough for me, plus the higher the resolution monitor, the more power you need to run games at that resolution.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I'm sill not sold on the reliability of LCD's. I seen to many die an early death.
I've bought a couple of CRT's from these folks and always been happy.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
I'm sill not sold on the reliability of LCD's. I seen to many die an early death.

And at a loss of desk space.

If you are going to get LCDs, get quality ones, not these 19" one that you see at Tigerdirect for $179. Got my Sony XBRITE 19" and never had an issue with it and it is over 2 years old. I also bought a 4 year old Sony LCD used off a guy on eBay and it still looks amazing.

Sony, although a little expensive, has always done well for me. I have been looking at a couple Viewsonic 19" LCDs as well. Stay away from brands you don't know or are too cheap. Too cheap may be good for short term, but probably gonna have issues with it later. Also look at contrast ration and response time. The older Sony I have has a 25ms repsonse time and gaming looks kinda ghosty on it, where as my Sony XBRITE 19" has a 8ms repsonse time and looks like your playing a game on a CRT.

"Speak English... I am speaking Engrish..." Steve Chang 99 Silver SVT Contour #196 (Garaged) 06 Dark Blue Pearl Fusion SE V6 (Daily) 05 Dark Shadow Grey Freestyle Limited AWD
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by xchang:

I look at it this way...if I had more desk space I'd just clutter it up with more crap!

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Just some info I've found...

The Dell 20" wide screen LCD uses the same panel as the Apple 20" cinema display, except it has more inputs, a brighter backlight, and is way cheaper.

For High Def, you will need:

• 16:9 (the rectangle displays... square displays are 4:3)
  • 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (or higher)
  • "p" as in 720p or 1080p is better than "i" as in 720i or 1080i

I don't think there is any consumer level screen that does 1080p. The displays themselves can do it, but the electronics can't.

In the Wikipedia article, mentions that "HDTV" programming is either 720p or 1080i right now.

• Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    T
    Hard-core CEG'er
    Hard-core CEG'er
    T
    Originally posted by xchang:

If you are going to get LCDs, get quality ones, not these 19" one that you see at Tigerdirect for $179.

I just bought an LCD 19" from them last night. $149 after rebate. 3 year parts & labor warranty from manufacturer, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. 8ms response, 600:1 contrast, 130*+ viewable, and good reviews. I'll let ya know...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
    A
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    A
    Monitor and TV are different. If only used as a monitor, HDTV doesn't matter. Either way, there are plenty of LCD monitors/displays supporting over 1920x1080 (progressive scan) and some consumer TV's (LCd & Plasma) supporting 1080p HDTV.

Tiger Direct bad

There are some decent 19" LCD's for under $150 and 17" under $125. not every day, but hot deals. Sony has nice stuff and I love Trinitron tubes, but I don't think their flat panels are anything special at their asking prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard