Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1608105 07/12/06 05:23 AM
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thank you all for the great info. Im going to stick with the 5W-30.

#1608106 07/12/06 11:37 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Rara:
the clearances in Ford Duratecs, and modular V8s is not designed for 5w20, they are all designed for 5w30.

5w20 in those engines show a noticable increase in wear, and decrease in overall life on extensive Ford dyno testing.

5w20 is acceptable, but is absolutely only recommended for Ford engines in order to increase CAFE averages. 5w30 is significantly better for the overall health of the Duratec.

How much of an increase did Ford actually see by going to the 5w20? I'm assuming that increased wear is over a long term? My Lightning was fine with 5w20? Is Ford going to 'tighten' its specs to accomadate the 5w20?

Ryan Trollin!
#1608107 07/12/06 09:28 PM
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Unfortunately it isn't data I can post or do anything more than allude to, because it was Ford internal testing for proving out the use of the 5w20 oil. As far as I know, all the testing still passed Ford's wear requirements, but that it wasn't as good as the 5w30. Some of you seem to think that 5w20 will instantly blow up your engine or something, it won't it will work fine. The difference you would see, is if you took two identical engines, run them exactly the same for 100,000 miles, and then tear them down, and you will see more significant wear on the engine that has run the 5w20. It will be especially noticable for engines run in hot climates.

The real truth is just that it was done for fuel economy reasons and nothing else. It netted something like an overall 0.5mpg improvement in Ford's CAFE numbers, which meant big bucks for the struggling automaker.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
#1608108 07/12/06 10:04 PM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Unfortunately it isn't data I can post or do anything more than allude to, because it was Ford internal testing for proving out the use of the 5w20 oil. As far as I know, all the testing still passed Ford's wear requirements, but that it wasn't as good as the 5w30. Some of you seem to think that 5w20 will instantly blow up your engine or something, it won't it will work fine. The difference you would see, is if you took two identical engines, run them exactly the same for 100,000 miles, and then tear them down, and you will see more significant wear on the engine that has run the 5w20. It will be especially noticable for engines run in hot climates.

The real truth is just that it was done for fuel economy reasons and nothing else. It netted something like an overall 0.5mpg improvement in Ford's CAFE numbers, which meant big bucks for the struggling automaker.

Ah, probably that old one discussed at length on bobistheoilguy.com.

The truth is, not only is the difference in wear minimal, but it really depends on which oil we're talking about.

20w oils go up to about 9.1 cSt at 100�º C. 30w oils start from about 10.0. At those viscosity differences, it's just semantics.

When we throw HTHS viscosity cP at 150�º C numbers into the mix, this becomes even more the case. 20w oils go up to 3.3, which is above many 30w oils, which will drop below 3.0.

#1608109 07/12/06 11:15 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

I was just curious, I ran the 5w20 in my Lightning and didn't see any change or bad wearing with the oil. Hell, last oil sample it was the 'best' 5.4 they had seen that month. I knew it was only for the CAFE numbers, but figured they would have published them if it noted a change in oil viscosity.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard