CEG\'er
'
way to get the point guys...

1999 Black Contour V6 5 speed. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2072975/
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Oh I get the point. There are just sooooo many more dangerous things then street racing and im tired of the media hyping EVERYTHING into evil street racerz.

There is a main strip here in town, pretty central part of town too. Back int he 60's and 70's kids and adults used to meet at the mcdonalds at the start of the road and drag race all the way up it and back down. Cops would occasionally watch from a nearby parking lot. (I hear all this first hand from a guy who used to race his camaro there.) This was all done however at night when not everyone was running around.

What makes it any less dangerous then, as opposed to now?

Im not making excuses or saying that its ok for young kids to jump in their moms automatic maxima, or lame 5 speed contour and run up and down busy streets.

Bottom line, street racing is mostly bad but im tired of the witch hunt against it. especially considering the ones hunting it were probably the ones tearing up and down the streets back in their day!

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Oh I get the point. There are just sooooo many more dangerous things then street racing and im tired of the media hyping EVERYTHING into evil street racerz.

There is a main strip here in town, pretty central part of town too. Back int he 60's and 70's kids and adults used to meet at the mcdonalds at the start of the road and drag race all the way up it and back down. Cops would occasionally watch from a nearby parking lot. (I hear all this first hand from a guy who used to race his camaro there.) This was all done however at night when not everyone was running around.

Im not making excuses or saying that its ok for young kids to jump in their moms automatic maxima, or lame 5 speed contour and run up and down busy streets.

Bottom line, street racing is mostly bad but im tired of the witch hunt against it. especially considering the ones hunting it were probably the ones tearing up and down the streets back in their day!

Alex,

You as well as anyone else that knows me at all, know that I LOVE racing, no matter the form. But, street racing is just plain stupid. There is a huge difference between a little horseplay between friends in thier cars, and actual street racing. If you EVER have your car anywhere near its maximum capability on public streets, you are endangering yourself, and others around you. Once you cross the line of where you can't recover if the situation goes badly, such as a car pulling out, or a blown tire, etc. etc. you are asking for a world of hurt. Couple this with the classic "red mist" of competition, and things are a perfect mix for a major disaster. On top of all this, no one EVER has all the necessary safety gear when they street race, nor do the innocent bystanders and cross traffic. Nor is there safety crews or anything like that standing by should something go wrong.

I am all for having fun in cars on the street, goosing the throttle a bit, sometimes going a bit fast, whatever, enjoying a nice twisty backroad with some friends, but running at the limits of the car, especially in a competitive environment is an excellent way to get people killed. There are so many safe* and legal venues to compete with your car, from autoX to time trials to the drag strip, that the extremely high risk of doing it on the street is something that only those who are idiots or delusional about thier own mortality would participate in.

*As safe as you can be; competitive motorsports is afterall an inherently dangerous sport/hobby.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by Rara:

Alex,

You as well as anyone else that knows me at all, know that I LOVE racing, no matter the form. But, street racing is just plain stupid. There is a huge difference between a little horseplay between friends in thier cars, and actual street racing. If you EVER have your car anywhere near its maximum capability on public streets, you are endangering yourself, and others around you. Once you cross the line of where you can't recover if the situation goes badly, such as a car pulling out, or a blown tire, etc. etc. you are asking for a world of hurt. Couple this with the classic "red mist" of competition, and things are a perfect mix for a major disaster. On top of all this, no one EVER has all the necessary safety gear when they street race, nor do the innocent bystanders and cross traffic. Nor is there safety crews or anything like that standing by should something go wrong.

I am all for having fun in cars on the street, goosing the throttle a bit, sometimes going a bit fast, whatever, enjoying a nice twisty backroad with some friends, but running at the limits of the car, especially in a competitive environment is an excellent way to get people killed. There are so many safe* and legal venues to compete with your car, from autoX to time trials to the drag strip, that the extremely high risk of doing it on the street is something that only those who are idiots or delusional about thier own mortality would participate in.

*As safe as you can be; competitive motorsports is afterall an inherently dangerous sport/hobby.

Couldn't said it any better.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Brian, you are saying almost exactly what im trying to say.

I dont condone ripping thru busy streets and pushing the car to its limits or anything like that. I guess most of the really bad accidents are people pushing cars past the safe zone.

Ill just stop here, you seem to have summed up what I was trying to say.

My only gripe is the media cloud surrounding it all.

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Brian, you are saying almost exactly what im trying to say.

I dont condone ripping thru busy streets and pushing the car to its limits or anything like that. I guess most of the really bad accidents are people pushing cars past the safe zone.

Ill just stop here, you seem to have summed up what I was trying to say.

My only gripe is the media cloud surrounding it all.

i hope the media clouds it more.. and i hope everyone starts goin to the track. Time slip is worth gold.. rather than a stupid street race.

98 Black SVT (4210/6535) 93 V6 Powered Protege
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
video removed

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
While I agree that it is a dumb thing to do, I have done it before. I believe that some people do it more so because there isn't anything around them. Around here the closest track is more than a few hours a way. and that is for anytype of racing. drag or road. people drive fast on mountain roads probably faster than they should without knowing whats around the next corner, which in my opinion is worse than driving a little faster in a straight line

Built April 18th 1998 #5770 of 6535 Reborn: July 11, 2004 3L and gone again 12/13/2005 new ride: 98 Silver frost SVT with all my old goodies!!!!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
video removed

Dont worry, it sucked.

S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by RawBurt...:
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
video removed

Dont worry, it sucked.

Why cuase it showed you and your Gangsta buddies drag racing on public roads? Doing burn outs in parking lots?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard