Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Over the past 6 months or so this has happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times. I'll be driving on the highway and all of a sudden the car will act as if it doesn't know what gear to be in. It feels like it briefly downshifts, then upshifts maybe 2-3 times and then finally the engine just shuts off and the oil and battery lights turn on, but no CEL. When this happens, the electronics (air, raido, lights) all work fine still and I can turn the car off and start it up just fine right away (once I even did this on a roll). Other than those few times, the car always works fine.

If it makes a difference, sometimes when I start the car it idles at ~1200rpm for about 20 seconds, the lights dim a little under hard accels when it passes ~5000rpm (my frined thinks the alterator might be going out) and sometimes when I floor it there is a faint metallic smell for a minute or two afterwards. Coincidence or not, I never noticed the metallic smell until after my Y pipe was optimized and the car never had any of these shutting off problems until after the svt exhaust was added. Other than that, everything is fine.

I drive to work on the expressway every day so I'm kind of nervious that it'll shut down in the middle of traffic. Anybody got any ideas?

Tan 98 Contour V6 ATX -BAT intake, SVT exhaust, SVT suspension, Stazi brakes, superchip, opt TB, opt Y "Max Power never abbreviates, each letter is as important as the one that preceeded it. Maybe even MORE important... no, as important."
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
How old is the battery and alternator?

Charge the battery well and test the battery and alternator.

Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5.

Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals shold be 14 to 14.5.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I bought the car in 03 from carmax. I haven't changed the battery or alternator and considering the car only had 16k on it when I bought it (75k now), carmax probably hasn't either.

Battery voltage after a minute with the lights on was 12.25V. Battery with the engine running was 14.10V. I was thinking I could probably try checking the voltage through the cigarette lighter while I was WOT to see what happens.

Do you think thats the only reason for the shutdowns though?

Tan 98 Contour V6 ATX -BAT intake, SVT exhaust, SVT suspension, Stazi brakes, superchip, opt TB, opt Y "Max Power never abbreviates, each letter is as important as the one that preceeded it. Maybe even MORE important... no, as important."
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Check battery wiring to alternator and battery to ground. Especially, the ones which run under the battery.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
My car had the same type of smell. Did you find your problem?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard