Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
If you do it yourself, do yourself a favor and remove the bracket above the alternator that is used to remove the engine. It will make it 1000x easier to reach the top alternator bolt from the top of the engine bay.

E0 SVT Kids, yeah, I have kids. How many do you want?
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
What ever you do, DO NOT HAVE CRAPPY TIRE DO IT!!!!.. they are the worst mechanics and are as bad as Stealerships.. I have NEVER heard of anyone that had a positive mechanical experience there.. find a small mechanic shop.. or even better go look in the yellow pages under your area and look under alternators.. sheeeshh.. unless you know the head mechanic at CT.. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!

cheers

98 Contour V6 MTX CTA Exhaust/CTA Intake/MSDS Y-pipe/Bat Handling Kit/Predator Alarm/Spec1 Clutch Kit/SVT Flywheel/G Assurances Fix your car yourself "It's not a UFO." Todras
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Actually if you get a rebuilt alternator and/or rebuild your own, or even a good junkyard alternator, the labour will cost you only $100-$150 CDN, that's what I got charged when my stupid bloody thing failed. I did it at some local dealer on Weston road and FInch, the Harmeet Electric or something like that, if you're ever in the Toronto area, but you could also do that, the junk yard alternators still work especially if the car was just rear ended or something.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
i have replaced mine twice this past week and i will have to put another one in next weekend. it took me almost 4 hours the first time and 1 1/2 hours the second time. once you know where the three bolts are and how to get the swivel and extensions in to the bottom bolt(13 mm) and to the bolt on the back of the alternator (10 mm) then it gets easier. the only thing i did to really make it easier was to pull the cv joint out of the transmission but not out of the wheel bearing so i could get to the bottom bolt easier.

2006 fusion sel 1998 grand prix gtp(wife) 1993 dodge shadow es(winter beater)
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by scainerrt:
i have replaced mine twice this past week and i will have to put another one in next weekend....

What the hell!!!

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by BrApple:
Originally posted by TGO:
Originally posted by RawBurt...:

You do NOT!!!! have to pull the motor for this. Find another mechanic.

you do have to pull the axle out though right??

nope ....

I always have; it makes the job so much easier.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
i got a bad alternator(not to mention it was new not remanufactured) from advance auto parts. it was tested in the store and it was fine. so i put it on the car and a loud whining noise starts coming from the new alternator. so i have advance check it out and they tell me i have a bad diode on the new alternator. so then i put the old one back in so i can go back and forth to work and take the alternator back to advance to swap it out for a new one again. so they test the alternator that i just returned and they tell me that it is working fine. well i tell them that it's not working fine because my battery light came on with the new alternator and now it's off with the old alternator. so long story short, they exchange the alternator so now i will be putting another one on next weekend as well as a belt tensioner.

2006 fusion sel 1998 grand prix gtp(wife) 1993 dodge shadow es(winter beater)
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
I hated doing the altenator in my Duratec, but it was definately a learning experience to say the least....

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Didnt read any of the posts, but I paid a ford dealership 300 bucks to swap an alternator I bought after I had a rusty bolt I didnt want to deal with

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by todras:
I doubt book time is more than 3 hrs. for a mechanic. I would think 400-500 with parts included. Follow the how to and do it yourself.

At $80 an hr x 3 is $240 for labor and another $200 for the alt. $450 is reasonable to me.

I'm pretty sure book time was like 5-6 hours, def more than 3.

but anyway, I had to replace mine last november, twice. first time I did it myself, second time I ate the cost of the labor cause, well, I had already experienced the pain of doing that ish in the cold. think I paid like $350ish in labor, so 800 is pretty high. glad to see you found a better deal though

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard