Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1604093 07/05/06 02:58 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Hello to everyone.

I just noticed recently that when driving up a steep hill at slow speeds that the car seems to "slip" at around 2500-3000 rpm. By "slip", I mean that the engine will drop RPMs briefly while I am holding the gas pedal steady. For example, if I start to go up a steep hill from a standstill and apply gas so that the car is slowly gaining speed (and RPMs), when the car reaches ~ 30 mph and 3000 RPM, the RPM will briefly drop down to 2500 and then back to 3000. This happens within a second or so. It feels like a gear switch, except that it might do this a few times in a row.

It seems that either the tranny is slipping, or it doesn't know what gear to be in.

I checked the tranny fluid and it looks good (color was bright red and it didn't smell burned). The fluid level was a little high, but I'm not sure if this would cause any problems. I removed some of the ATX tranny fluid and added a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix just in case. The symptoms are still there as of this morning.

So here are my questions:

1. Would a high tranny fluid level cause problems?

2. The "slipping" has happened a few dozen times in the past week, and I have not received a CEL. Would I get a CEL if it were a tranny problem?

3. I have read a few posts that have mentioned a TSS. What problems does a bad TSS create?

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
sounds to me like it just hunting, its a feature of autos and hills

slipping will leave your fluid very silvery in color from the worn metal

TSS was supposed to solve the bang shift when you accelerate and let off just before it goes into the next gear, thats about all they did i beleive

98 contour gl, v6 auto 01 explorer sport v6 auto 2001gtp AT gmail DOT com
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome back Geopappas . I've used your threads more than a few times

"It seems that either the tranny is slipping, or it doesn't know what gear to be in."

Maybe MLPS

"1. Would a high tranny fluid level cause problems?"
It could

"2. The "slipping" has happened a few dozen times in the past week, and I have not received a CEL. Would I get a CEL if it were a tranny problem?"
Sometimes tranny codes are "lost" when the engine is turned off.

"3. I have read a few posts that have mentioned a TSS. What problems does a bad TSS create?"
Bang (hard) Shift from 1 to 2.

MLPS
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
and
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d3/97/0900823d801bd397.jsp

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/05/06 03:10 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
thats not slipping, slipping is basically exactly what it sounds like, the engine will rev up harder then it should staying in the same gear. What you are experienceing is gear hunting, the CD4E isnt that great about precision shifting, what might help out a little though is the updated Turbine Shift Sensor, its on the driver side of the trannie behind the wheel, takes abotu 30 minutes to change, makes a world of difference, and to assist in tranny life shifts at higher rpm's so you can make it up hills and such with less shifting.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Welcome back Geopappas . I've used your threads more than a few times

I'm glad that you found some of the stuff that I wrote useful. I checked and I haven't been on these boards in over 2 years! That was about the time that my wife and I had our first son! I guess that working on the car as a hobby went out the window then. And now we have two boys...

Originally posted by Putz:
slipping will leave your fluid very silvery in color from the worn metal

When I removed some of the tranny fluid I didn't see any metal shavings or flecks. So I guess that is a good sign.

Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
thats not slipping, slipping is basically exactly what it sounds like, the engine will rev up harder then it should staying in the same gear. What you are experienceing is gear hunting, the CD4E isnt that great about precision shifting, what might help out a little though is the updated Turbine Shift Sensor, its on the driver side of the trannie behind the wheel, takes abotu 30 minutes to change, makes a world of difference, and to assist in tranny life shifts at higher rpm's so you can make it up hills and such with less shifting.

That makes sense (that the RPMs should increase if the tranny slips). Like I said, the RPMs are actually dropping by about 500 when this happens. The weird thing is that it seems to only happen when I am driving up a steep hill. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by GeoPappas; 07/05/06 07:32 PM.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GeoPappas:
... Like I said, the RPMs are actually dropping by about 500 when this happens. The weird thing is that it seems to only happen when I am driving up a steep hill. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder if it is the air and fuel filter.

V
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
V
did you try turning off the overdrive feature, its on the side of the shift stick, when i go up a steep hill i always turn off the o.d.

canadian, 98 mystique LS sport 2.5L atx 98 contour se 2.0 L atx 00 300m
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
... Like I said, the RPMs are actually dropping by about 500 when this happens. The weird thing is that it seems to only happen when I am driving up a steep hill. Any thoughts on that?

I wonder if it is the air and fuel filter.

If it was the air and/or fuel filter, then I would think that the "jerking" would happen at other times as well (besides when climbing a hill).

Besides that, the air filter is relatively new (since it was changed a few months ago), and the fuel filter was replaced last year.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
..If it was the air and/or fuel filter, then I would think that the "jerking" would happen at other times as well (besides when climbing a hill).

Besides that, the air filter is relatively new (since it was changed a few months ago), and the fuel filter was replaced last year.

The car requires more under load.

Let's get back to the basics. Scan the car for CEL codes even though the light is not on and go from there. Autozone or Advance will do it for free.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
..If it was the air and/or fuel filter, then I would think that the "jerking" would happen at other times as well (besides when climbing a hill).

The car requires more under load.

But aren't there other times when a car is under a higher load (such as accelerating from a stop)?

If the fuel filter was clogged, I would think that you would feel problems during many other circumstances (such as accelerating), not just when climbing a hill.

Accelerating doesn't seem to be a problem. As a matter of fact, when I start to get the "jerking" as I climb a hill it will go away if I step on the gas.

Let's get back to the basics. Scan the car for CEL codes even though the light is not on and go from there.

I have a scanner, so I can do it myself. But I have never known a code to be stored without the light going on.

I plan on borrowing a laptop, hooking up my scanner, and then taking the car on a drive up a few hills. That will hopefully tell me a little bit more about what is going on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard