Next Thread
Print Thread
#1602382 07/01/06 07:39 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Anyone know anything about refurbished dells. I need a new computer and it seems i can get a good deal on a refurb. on ebay. Slickdeals hasnt realy had any good deals lately. Im looking to spend around 5-6 bills(with monitor) any ideas? Refurb. or wait and spend a little more on a decent deal on dell@home. Or any ideas on a diff. brand.
Thanks guys
Ps. i realy need a desktop that can be upgraded. video card wise. It seems dells e510 models are pretty good for the $

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I have a refurb laptop from school. Nothing's wrong with it- not a scratch. Some were hit or miss- but dell replaces them if they have warranty (mine came with a 2 year warranty).

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I don't know about Dell's refubishment program, but I have a refurbished Gateway, and the way they explained it to me, was that any computer returned under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee, was totally disassembled, each component tested, and reassembled.

I've had this Gateway since April 2001, and when I received it, I couldn't tell it apart from a new product. The only refurbished part was the CPU, the monitor was new. The only problem I've had was with the "NEW" monitor. But with the refurbished CPA, no problems whatsoever.

I imagine Dell does things similarily. I wouldn't be afraid of a factory refurbished computer.

Mark

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
One thing I missed in replying to you, dubkatz, was that I got my refurbished computer directly from Gateway. I would question buying a refurb product from ebay. Who did the refurbishment.....Dell or some other company? I wouldn't be afraid of a refurbished Dell providing it was done by Dell, and sold and warranted by Dell.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
i have bought 2 laptops and a tower pc from dell direct (Dell's refurbished outlet online). the first laptop worked well for about 2 years and then i decided to upgrade. bought the second laptop about a year ago and still use it daily 6-7 hours. also have a refurb desktop from them and it has worked like a champ since day 1 (about 2 years ago). i'd be cautious with ebay refurbs. buy directly from dell's refurbished store if you can.

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I actually prefer refurbished products whenever I can find them, for the reasons Beachboy mentioned. They are (at least supposed to be) tested far more thoroughly than new products, and are cheaper to boot.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
glad to here all the possitive feedback.
im pretty sure this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170001107341&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Is refurbished directly by dell. But i will be checking dell directly maybe they can give me a good deal on a monitor too. Thanks again guys.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'm extremely wary of purchasing Dell sealed-box items on eBay nowadays. I bought a Dell LCD monitor NIB from eBay and the transaction went fine, but roughly 8 months later the inverter died and I had no warranty because I bought it off eBay. Just a word of caution.

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
there's really no point in bidding on that auction. it's just a computer that guy bought on the dell refurb site. if you watch that site yourself you'll cut out his profit, and you can really come across some great deals. I've gotten computers for under $300.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by TGO:
there's really no point in bidding on that auction. it's just a computer that guy bought on the dell refurb site. if you watch that site yourself you'll cut out his profit, and you can really come across some great deals. I've gotten computers for under $300.

Yea i wasnt on planning on bidding, just watching, to see what they are going for.

Link Copied to Clipboard