Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I have a friend who has a '96 contour duratec, 5-speed. The engine has been replaced with a '98 model and after the swap neither the cruise or lower air vents will work. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me but I was wondering if anyone may know what I should look for first. He's finally bringing it to the shop where I just started working and it'll prolly be my project so I want to get it done quick if possible so he isn't charged alot. I'm only slightly familiar with contours so any help is greatly appreciated!

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
For the cruise control make sure that the cable it connected to the TB. On occasion mine it pop the connect off if I run the 'tour at wide open throttle. Also did the car have cruise control before engine swap? Also 95-97 models differed from 98-2000 models. It might have something to do with the ECU.

For the lower vents, what lower vents??? are you talking A/C and heat vents? If some vents blow and others don't make sure the vents are open because as far as I know there is only one blower under the dash. So if your vents are opened and there is not air flow, they must be clogged.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
The original car had cruise. I was thinking tho that the engine management changed up with the year model difference but he said everything plugged up fine. I've been wondering if the secondaries open like they should too. As far as mechanical stuff goes, he's pretty good bout getting it back like it was but anything electrical can bog him down.

He said the lower vent (I guess floor vents) don't blow but the upper ones do meaning there's probably a vacuum leak that controls the floor vents?

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
There is a single vacuum line that runs from the back of the intake manifold and into the firewall. On the V6 there is two black tubes coming off the manifold that go to the back and then a series of t's and lines that go to different things. Anyway you can lift up on them and trace till you see one that is long and skinny going to the firewall. Check that first. Then if you have a vac leak in the car there is a vac distribution block that goes into the HVAC panel from the back. Check that second.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Aight, thanks alot.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
N