Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
This install is acting very wierd. I bought a multimeter and read the power and the ground on the amp w/ the car off. This read aprox 11.90. Then I tested the remote(red line from mutimeter) and ground, this gave me 0 which makes sence b/c the ignition was off.

I turn on the car to ignition and the power light lights up for about 1 second then turns off...no juice. I test the power line and the ground of the amp and its now down to aprox 6.00 V. The remote and ground now read aprox 11.90 which sounds correct b/c now the ignition is on. But still the amp does not power on.

Am i doing something wrong? I have the power wire running straight to the battery w/ a fuze (not sure what the fuze is rated as but it came w/ the amp kit). The ground wired to a bolt on the tail light (might not be the best place but I was getting 12v with it there in the beginning). The HU is an Alpine 9833. I have tried 2 different amps with the same results. If any other info is needed to figure this out let me know.

Thank you

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Check the fuse, it could be loose.

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
the fuse running off the battery or the amp. I checked the amp fuzes and they are ok and tight. I also know the fuse running off the battery is not blown (its a really heavy duty fuse) but I will check to see if its loose.

Any explanations why the volts reading is so sporadic? And what else could cause this which prevents the amp from getting power.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
checked the fuse on the power line under the hood to see if it was loose. I took it apart and made sure the fuse was tight. I also unscrewed the screws that hold the power wire into the fuse holder and reset the wires, tightened the screws and secured the fuse holder. Everything is now very tight.

I then checked the Voltage on the power wire connected to the amp and the negative terminal on the amp and it registered aprox 12.4V, remote & and ground read 0v. I then turned the car to ignition and the power light lights up for a sec and then goes out. I then tested the remote & ground and it registers at aprox 12v but the power & ground now read under 3V. So in short the same issue is present. Any ideas what the heck is going on here?

In order to rule out bad RCA cables, RCA output on the HU, or RCA input on the amp does the RCA's need to be hooked up in order to get the amp to power on and stay on? I did not think the RCA's was needed to get power but just want to make sure that the problem is not bad RCA outputs/inputs or RCA cables.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
No, I don't think so. I had some bad RCA's, and the amp stayed on, just didn't play anything. Any other electrical issues w/ the car (headlights, wipers, etc?)

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
no other electrical issues at all. All four door speakers work fine it's just the amp is not getting power preventing the sub from working.

D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Without seeing it, i'd say the ground is inadequate. Move it to a location closer to the amp and scraped the paint fully before making the ground attachment.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I'll give it a try, but doesn't me getting 12v when i test the power and ground on the amp symbolize that the ground is ok? It is odd though how the power light just stays on for just a second when I turn to the ignition to the first click (accessory)like the power gets drained or somthing. B/c if i then test it while the key still turned to accessory it now reads under 6V but then remote and ground now read at 12V. So it seems like its getting power its just draining it or something.

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
bump

p.s. my ground wire is probably only like 3 ft long if I were to estimate. Do you think thats the prob.?

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Where is the remote turn on going? To the HU? Maybe wrong wire? Does the remote turn on switch anything else? They can only handle 250-500ma.

Here is a test to rule out HU switching or remote turn on wire.

GLook at your amp, You have the 12+/REM/Ground terminals. Take your meter, read across 12+ and the Ground terminals you should have around 12volts with car on or off, well on maybe 13.8-14.2.

After checking that, take a jumper wire, and jump REM terminal to 12+ terminal (no this won't damage anything) if the amp turns on and stays on, you have a remote turn on problem. If it still does the same thing you have a main power problem either ground or supply wire from battery. If all that is good, then you have bum amps, which doesn't sound right if you tested a few already.

Also disconnect any speakers or RCA going into it first. Maybe the sub is shorted. Also disconnect remote turn on wire before doing jump test.

Last edited by jd2-98s; 06/19/06 03:22 PM.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard