Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Talked to my dad today and he is very seriously looking at a late 70's MG (can't remember exact date, but I think 78). it has some aesthetic blemishes, nothing too major, about what you would expect for a 30 year old car, new paint would probally need to happen eventually but not too soon, some interior tears, a few rust spots but nothing too major. It started right up and runs a little rough but is ok there, he wasn't able to take it for a test drive yet but will before buying obviously. The only thing holding me back from saying go for it is i have heard these are the most unrelaible cars ever made. Is the reiablility really that bad? I know that it is not good but anyone out there own one that can say for sure? Anyone know what to look for before buying this? It has 48,000 miles on it. No clue about maintenance, but it was a Florida car then trailered up to International Falls, MN a while ago. the asking price is $1500. So with this low of a price and considering it drives decent, is it worth it? Are we going to be working on it after every time we drive it to fix it, or is it more reiable than that? So far we have had 2 '53 Chevy 3100 pickup, one still in our posession that we rebiult the engine, front end and tons of other stuff so we knows what were doing, but this will be a typical hobby car, and driven probally daily once it is running good in the summer. So once its running good, is it worth it, or are they waaaay too much constant maintenance? thanks.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
My dad regularly says his '91 Miata reminds him strongly of his old MGB and his Sunbeam Tiger (both owned in the late 70s/early 80s), with the only exception that this one actually runs. If you're looking for a little roadster this is what I'd recommend, unless you're looking for a rare auto like the Midget or T-series. One of my friends has a '54 MG-TF and it's in beautiful condition, but its idiosyncrasies and special parts make it a bugger to maintain - I still haven't seen it on the road yet.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I know we sell the hell out of parts for them! I like the pre 74 chrome bumper models better, but thats my personnal opinion.

www.victoriabritish.com

Catalogs are free, so take one with you to see how much $$ you might end up spending on it before you buy.

Main problem is unreliable wiring, common on those old British cars. They are light with a small amount of power I hear they are fun to drive. Throw one of these on there and give unsuspecting Mustangs and Camaros a run(on the track of course) for their $$.

Might as well pickup (pun intended) a catalog for that 53 3100 also at our sister company www.lmctruck.com

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Well , if there's anyone on the boards that can answer any question you have about MG's , it would be ME . I restore 'em for a living , so I've literally had my hands on hundreds of 'em .

Big question : Is it an MGB , or a Midget ??
I hope for your sake that it's an MGB , as the later Midgets aren't all they're cracked-up to be . If it's truly a 78 , it's an MGB , as Midgets were only made till '76 . There's a BIG difference between the two as far as what to look for and reliability , that's why it's a VERY important question .

I hate to disagree with Eric , but the wiring isn't that bad on MG's ... it's PEOPLE that are the problem . If you can get one that someone hasn't hacked , spliced , stripped , tapped & jacked with the wiring you'll do fine . Seriously , the wiring isn't anything to be scared of . It's simple & easy to fix correctly . When there's a wiring problem , look for dirty connectors - that's the main issue we see . People don't give MG's the credit they deserve . They CAN be reliable little cars . We have many customers that put loads of miles on their cars without issue .

Lemme know what year the car is & whether it's a Midget or MGB & I'll let you know what to look for & what to expect out of it . I'd rather take the time to educate you than to have you buy a bad car .

**EDIT** Almost forgot - don't waste your hard-earned wampum on that supercharger . The real world gains aren't worth the money spent & reliability issues involved . On a later (read:rubber-bumpered) MGB , you'll be MUCH better off doing some back-dating , like going back to the dual carbs like the earlier cars had (don't waste your $$ on the down-draught Weber carb) along with the proper dual-downpipe exhaust manifold , giving the engine an earlier-spec camshaft and throwing on a free-flow exhaust . Those are gains that you will greatly appreciate . We've done it more times than I can count , and ALL customers are happy with the difference .

Heck , I might as well throw in a shameless plug too - www.carriagecraft.com . It's needing an update (we're busy fixing MG's) , but that's our website .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
ok, thanks alot guys. I will get back to you on exactly what model and all Buddy, but a huge thanks for your help already. As for the catalog, it will probally be ordered as soon as we get the car, and we have at least 3 of the LMC truck catalogs laying around already!! thanks again guys, and I'll let you know how things pan out here.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
You may want to look up (PM) Baco in the New England Area. He's owned a few MGs since I've known him on these boards. Eventually he got rid of them all, but I'm sure he'll know a thing or 2.

- Zack

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
If you're dad's looking at a 78 MGB then I would hope he did some research on them.

It's not that they are unreliable ... although I wouldn't make it a reliability number #1 ... all English sports from the 60's/70's can be highly unreliable. That's not why we buy them though ... these are fun classics, and half the fun is the work!

Now as long as he knows he will have to put some coin into the car at some point, and there's a possibilty of it being out of commission for some 6 weeks while you wait for stuff ... then it shouldn't really matter.

Personally I'm looking at getting an 88-93 Lotus Turbo Esprit in the near future ... again British sports ... LOTS of TLC will be needed.

One more thing ... British sports are made to be driven. Don't let it sit too much, also make sure you have a fire extinguisher in case the smoke escapes from the Lucas parts

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by zgendron:
You may want to look up (PM) Baco in the New England Area. He's owned a few MGs since I've known him on these boards. Eventually he got rid of them all, but I'm sure he'll know a thing or 2.

- Zack

Thanks. Once you confirmt he exact model, I can weigh in. In the mean time, re-read what Allen wrote above (in green). He's restored these things and knows a bit more than me.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by baco99:
Originally posted by zgendron:

- Zack

Thanks. Once you confirmt he exact model, I can weigh in. In the mean time, re-read what Allen wrote above (in green). He's restored these things and knows a bit more than me.

I'll get my thoughts together & get ready to pass the big-list on to you , like I did for Brian .

If you're looking for some real power out of the MG , I just finished a doozie , and will have pics up soon . Keep your eyes peeled .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

I hate to disagree with Eric , but the wiring isn't that bad on MG's ... it's PEOPLE that are the problem . If you can get one that someone hasn't hacked , spliced , stripped , tapped & jacked with the wiring you'll do fine . Seriously , the wiring isn't anything to be scared of . It's simple & easy to fix correctly . When there's a wiring problem , look for dirty connectors - that's the main issue we see . People don't give MG's the credit they deserve . They CAN be reliable little cars . We have many customers that put loads of miles on their cars without issue .

Disagree away! I in no way what-so-ever could qualify to be an expert. I just go with what I have heard, stereotypes so to speak. You have probably forgotten more about these cars than I will ever know! And thats perfectly ok with me.

Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

**EDIT** Almost forgot - don't waste your hard-earned wampum on that supercharger . The real world gains aren't worth the money spent & reliability issues involved .

It is interesting to hear the s/c isn't worth the $$. Again, I just thought the coolness factor was way high. But if I was doing a restoration, I woudl do my homework and probably draw the same conclusion you just pointed out.

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard