Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by TheRock249:
i got the exact same thing. I dont like the stupid star icon taking up a spot in my toolbar, so what can i do to get rid of it, short of buying another copy of windows?

can i uninstall the update?

Star icon?? I just did updates this afternoon and no icon here. (Maybe because I have XP Pro?)

Most of the software, including WinXP, on my computer is legal. However I can understand that a lot of people don't realize they are buying illegal software. A neighbor of mine just bought a really old Dell laptop (Latitude CPI) from eBay, with XP but no disc; I did't have the heart to tell them it might be illegal.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
ive got a little star in the bottom right corner, that continually pops up a message box reminding me of my "non-genuine" copy.

I picked up a virus while at school and had to use a friend's cd to reinstall.

98 SVT #1652 of 6535 My SVT "If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on."
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I guess I have genuine windows XP, no star so far. (hey that rhymed.) But then again my father amd I are using the same XP pro on our two computers, so I don't think we will have a problem.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Ah ok. Makes sense, I suppose Microsoft wants to make it as annoying as possible till you purchase a so-called "genuine" copy.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
sure you have a choice, install it or stop getting updates

Quote:

Software Upgrade for Some Windows Components Required

To use Microsoft Update, you must first install the latest version of some Windows components. This will allow your computer to work with these new features on the site:

More updates: Get updates for Windows and for popular Microsoft programs such as Microsoft Office in one place.
Faster updates: The latest Windows Installer (MSI) improves the way updates are installed, delivering updates in the smallest possible packages in the shortest amount of time.
Easier navigation: Now you can find updates by priority or by product while helpful links and important messages help ensure you are installing all high-priority updates for your computer.

Details

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
734 KB , less than 1 minute
The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool enables you to verify that your copy of Microsoft Windows is genuine. The tool validates your Windows installation by checking Windows Product Identification and Product Activation status.

Total: 734 KB , less than 1 minute

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
If you click on custom in windows update it will let you hide any updates you don't want to install. Hiding an update prevents that little windows update icon from appearing in the system tray and popping up a balloon telling you you have available updates.

Tan 98 Contour V6 ATX -BAT intake, SVT exhaust, SVT suspension, Stazi brakes, superchip, opt TB, opt Y "Max Power never abbreviates, each letter is as important as the one that preceeded it. Maybe even MORE important... no, as important."
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Little off topic, but what part of Chicago are you from?

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Pole12O:
Little off topic, but what part of Chicago are you from?

In the suburbs about a mile straight south of the city limits.

Tan 98 Contour V6 ATX -BAT intake, SVT exhaust, SVT suspension, Stazi brakes, superchip, opt TB, opt Y "Max Power never abbreviates, each letter is as important as the one that preceeded it. Maybe even MORE important... no, as important."
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
There are many ways around it. search for it on google. WGA removal

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Removed

Last edited by Shaggy; 06/02/06 05:05 PM.

Bill Jenkins Team Ford, Internet Parts Dept. 5445 Drexel Rd. Las Vegas, NV 89130 CLICK HERE to order parts Ford parts at wholesale prices
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard