Print Thread
#1578605 05/25/06 07:25 PM
K
KVX Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Yeah, so I come home for 2 week R&R here from Iraq and my wife has been saying she has been having a problem with the transmission. So when I got here I check the fluid and it's low and burnt. So I take it to get changed, the whole time the car has this problem with shifting from 1st to 2nd. The other gears are fine. So get the fluid changed find out the filter is internal. The place I took it too wants to pull out the trans and inspect it for damages because I told them about the 1st to 2nd problem. They want 385 for that. I don't have money like that. So I take it back after they put in some special stuff they use for rebuilds to help with the internals. Well came to the site here and heard about that switch or whatever it is and was wondering if anyone sells the part or is it dealership only? Also tryed resetting the computer and it runs a little better. Just need some advice, don't want to spend money on fixing, getting a rebuild or new transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1578606 05/25/06 07:50 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Welcome back. Thank you for your service. You and your comrades-in-arms are great Americans for answering the call.

Do not, at this time, have the transmission pulled, it likely isn't needed (hopefully).

Recommendation is to replace the TSS sensor. Ford part number 1S7Z-7M101-KA SENSOR - TURBI -. Dealer only (or tranny parts distributor) item. Cost should be in the low $20s. If they quote you more, ask them for a discount. I crabbed at the local parts guy when he quoted me $32 bucks, so he gave me 20% off just for asking.

There are several very good threads in this and in the Transaxle forum on replacing the sensor. If it's not corroded, it's only a 15 minute job (like mine was). If it's really corroded, it will be a real bear.

Hopefully they added RED LUBEGUARD. That's good stuff and will help extend the life of the internal friction materials if they aren't too far gone.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Helpful SEARCH keyword phrases "Bang shift", "TSS replacement" "TSS from Hell"

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#1578607 05/25/06 08:08 PM
K
KVX Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Thanks for the help I'll check that out. I was just outside mulling about on the car too. Just found out the wire plug in to the blower motor is burnt on one wire. No luck with that area. Had the recall done already and had to replace the blower motor once already. Has anyone ever have moisture in that area? Found a piece of paper that found it's way out of the top of the glove box and was lodged in the blower motor area. It was soaked but everything else in the area was dry. Hope there isn't a bad weather seal in that area, been having lots of rain out here. But thanks for everyone's support for us out in the Sands of Time (hehe Prince of Persia joke).

Trying to keep Frankenstein's monster together

#1578608 05/25/06 09:18 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
TSS thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1238311&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

To locate leak, have someone use a garden hose and spray on windshield while you are looking at the blower motor area.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1578609 05/27/06 01:21 PM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
For parts first check...

www.bulkpart.com

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
#1578610 05/27/06 01:22 PM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
For potential leak source, check the cabin air filter box. Weather stripping on mine was bad and applied new sealant to solve my leak problem.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard