Next Thread
Print Thread
#1573833 05/20/06 01:33 AM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
My life has been crazy busy since the semester ended. (re-organized room, work, getting ready for new job, messing with tour, messing with our Ranger, building a retaining wall, helping my brother with his PC)

Its been a hella long week, BUT! After many painful late morning hours or research (quiet time) I think I found a PC.

The Low Budget Build

Processor:
---AMD 3200+ Venice 2000mhz bus 939 Socket

Mobo:
---Asus A8N5X featuring:
------Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Athlon X2 support (upgradability)
------4x184 pin PC3200 up to 4 GB (expandibility)
------1 PCI-e x16, 1 PCI-e x4, 2 PCI-e x1, 3 PCI
------Supports 2 Pata, 1 Pata Raid, 4 Sata 1.5, 1 Sata Raid
------6 USB 2.0 (very useful I have 4 slots filled now, without printer)

Memory:
PC3200 512mb G.Skill with 2.5 latency (Basic starter, will add more later)

Case with Power:
---Economy Asus black Steel Tower
---350watt power supply (little low )
---2 rear 90mm fan slots, comes with 1
---4 large bays, 1 small bay, floppy bay(built-in face on case)

Cost:

making you scroll

$323.88 Shipped

Let me know what you think.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Forgot one thing, decided against the Intel 3.0ghz because its benchmarks were all lower then this AMD. That should make some of you happy. lol

And this will be the first AMD in my family ever. We're always used Intel so hopefully it makes a good impression.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Forgot one thing, decided against the Intel 3.0ghz because its benchmarks were all lower then this AMD. That should make some of you happy. lol

And this will be the first AMD in my family ever. We're always used Intel so hopefully it makes a good impression.

you're gonna hate yourself in about 80 days...

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Hooray the site is working again!

But why am I going to hate myself in 80 days??? I didn't order it yet.

Edit:

I changed my mind on a few things too. lol

I decided I should buy a nicer quality case/psu. I ended up with a CoolerMaster Micro tower that has a 380watt supply. I also switched to the other motherboard I was looking at which is slightly cheaper because of different onboard video and being a micro.

The mobo is in the same Asus A8xxx Family, just the micro version. This will also count down on my limited dorm desk space.

Last edited by ZeroHour; 05/21/06 01:55 AM.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Toadster:
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

When Conroe (part of the Core Duo 2 line with Merom) officially launches it will outperform anything AMD has on the market. Personally I'm enjoying having 4 cores.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Oh, well I'm not buying anything super expensive. I just want a PC that does bog like my current one.

But this will bring down the price of all of the AMD processors...The board i'm getting supports Athlon 64 and 64 FX, so If these come down maybe I'll pick up a faster one in a couple of months.

Either way this PC will beat the snot of the one I have. It will be like going from the zetec atx to the svt! lol

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D

Considering that he isn't looking at buying the most current gen PC, I'd say he's alright with the configuration he has now.

Also, conroe won't necessarily be available to the public in 80 days, but to big name OEMs like Dell. The price of the retail chip and the actual street date are not really clear at this point.

99 Silver CSVT
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by deftoned989:

Considering that he isn't looking at buying the most current gen PC, I'd say he's alright with the configuration he has now.

Also, conroe won't necessarily be available to the public in 80 days, but to big name OEMs like Dell. The price of the retail chip and the actual street date are not really clear at this point.

Agreed 100%

'96 Mystique
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Check out the MSI K8NGM2-FID board. It's got built-in GeForce 6150 video, 16x PCI-e for later video card upgrade, 2 PCI and 1 1x PCI-e. Great board, costs ~$80 and supports all the latest socket 939 chips, including X2's.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!

Link Copied to Clipboard