OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
It still has a long way to go before becoming law, but it is certainly a step in the right direction because English is our national language.

I personally find it to be retarted that we must offer a driver's license test in 30 some languages in Ohio when not one road sign in Ohio is in any language other than English. If you want to speak Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, or whatever else at home, fine, and more power to you. But when you are dealing with the government, English should be the only thing accepted.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by red99sesport:
It still has a long way to go before becoming law, but it is certainly a step in the right direction because English is our national language.

I personally find it to be retarted that we must offer a driver's license test in 30 some languages in Ohio when not one road sign in Ohio is in any language other than English. If you want to speak Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, or whatever else at home, fine, and more power to you. But when you are dealing with the county at large, English should be the only thing accepted.

That's why we need this law. Lots of things in multiple languages here in Florida too. From driver tests to handbooks to building permit applications. This law will encourage all to speak, read, write in english, learn it before coming here, and save us lots of tax dollars.

This will also potentially save lives as recent tragic traffic incidents have shown in south Florida.

Anybody who portrays this as a racist or narrow minded law is an un-thinking doofus. Learning english will allow all to go anywhere in the country and be able to function equally well. People not learning english are just limiting themselves.

I've long been an advocate of diversity in our culture. Honor your history by celebrating your heritate, your homeland, your ancestry, but be AMERICAN first. None of this segregationist african-american, asian-american, mexican or latino-american CRAP. That is how the politicians keep us as adversaries. Be American, my neighbor, my friend, my countryman, a part of something bigger, then celebrate our differences and I will celebrate with you.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
This is a formality. Who cares? What's the penality? Nothing, yaah. Its about as good as reforming immigration laws, they don't already enforce the current laws. The Government will still provide every thing in different languages to make other happy.

Ryan Trollin!
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Most, if not all, States have adopted English as the official language. Yet this has not stopped the use of Spanish in many State government offices. I am not sure that this will help on the national scale.

Just on a side note, the whole Mexican immigration issue is interesting to me because I am an American living in another country. Here in Austria there are a lot of Turkish people, and people from the Balkans, and everyone must speak German. When dealing with anything in the government you need to speak German, if not they tell you to learn and come back. I was never for this kind of thing in the US, but now that I have experienced it I think it is a good idea. The problem with not learning the language of the land is that one will never become part of society as a whole. You find small immigrant areas in every country. Often few speak the country�s language and never leave these small communities. Pandering to these legal and illegal immigrants by offering government services in anything other than the language of the land, only gives people one more reason not to integrate into society.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by We Todd:
This is a formality. Who cares? What's the penality? Nothing, yaah. Its about as good as reforming immigration laws, they don't already enforce the current laws. The Government will still provide every thing in different languages to make other happy.

we have become so extremely "pc" about everything, we are no longer "pc" about anything.....

--Chris-- 1999 Silver Frost SVT #1671 of #2760
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

Yep. I don't see how it would ever matter anyway. ARRRGH!!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I think it's a good step, if it will pass. But realistically it will be meaningless.

More importantly, where do I get one of these?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I think it's a good step, if it will pass. But realistically it will be meaningless.

More importantly, where do I get one of these?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:

Yep. I don't see how it would ever matter anyway. ARRRGH!!

Read my post from an hour & a half ago. I explain why. Wien Sean elaborates further & strengthens my argument with his experience & observation as an American in a foreign country.

If we require english, provide voting, DLs, medical & other benefit applications in english only, they have to learn to get along. They integrate into society rather than society pandering to them. And, as I said, by not learning the language, they are limiting their opportunities. With mastery of english (to some functional degree), they will be able to make a living anywhere in the US, not just in areas where there are translators or agencies making things available in their native language.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard