Next Thread
Print Thread
J
johnoh Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
In the morning my brakes act like there is no vacuum at all - the pedal is rock hard. It also idles very roughly and stalls at first.

Then after 20 minutes or so the brakes are normal and the idling is better (though still a little rough). I have searched for vacuum leaks extensively, have replaced the egr, iac, and pcv valves, replaced plugs, wires, air filter, and cleaned maf.

The problem is worst on cold days, which makes me wonder if heat helps some rubber based vac leaks sort of seal up. No idea though.

Any thoughts?

'95 Contour GL 2.0l automatic, 110k miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
ever change the fluid? its about time it not

I know my pedal was rock hard when abs was active until I changed the fluid

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
J
johnoh Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by BrApple:

No I have not, but I pulled the brake vac line and the vacuum was so weak that I am fairly certain is a vacuum problem.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by johnoh:
Originally posted by BrApple:

No I have not, but I pulled the brake vac line and the vacuum was so weak that I am fairly certain is a vacuum problem.

sounds like it might be, but the old brake fluid should be changed anyway

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
J
johnoh Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
found the leak. The wiring harness had burned a hole in the plastic brake booster tube, right near its knee.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
found the leak. The wiring harness had burned a hole in the plastic brake booster tube, right near its knee.

Ah good job. I was just about to post that it sure sounded like a vacuum leak to me.

The brake booster is pretty easy to change, but what's up with something burning a hole in it? That sounds like something to be concerned about, doesn't it?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
J
johnoh Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Bicycle commuter :

Ah good job. I was just about to post that it sure sounded like a vacuum leak to me.

The brake booster is pretty easy to change, but what's up with something burning a hole in it? That sounds like something to be concerned about, doesn't it?

The local dealer said that is a common problem for this car. The line sits up against something hot, though I can't tell what

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
if your brake pedal is hard for four or more hours, please consult a doctor.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Must be close to the EGR/pipe or something on a Zetec.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Just for future reference.

Same thing happened to me and it was the rubber gromet that goes into the brake booster.Had cut itself in half,outside looked fine but the inside was laying in the booster

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard