Print Thread
R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Need some advice please. I trust my local CEGers more

Quite for some time I been having this weird problem with my car. Whenever I wouldn't drive it for over 24 hours, the battery's charge would drop to like 10/11V and the car wouldn't start unless a charger or booster cables were used. Then the car would start within a split second and would start/drive for another several months with full 12V (or 14V while running).

Now, 2 days ago I stayed home and forgot to drive it. Well, I am thinking - in the worst case scenario I will just throw some booster cables. That's what I did. So this immediately gave me 14V with stereo blastin' and all. However all I got was a measley click, no revvin' or nothing. I could have thought the alt went bad, but it doesn't look so - when it (alt went bad) happened in the past, the car would just go nuts with crazy blades movements, blinking/dimmin' of the cluster and all.

Then I tried to start it remotely with my Viper - the same effect/no effect.

What could be the problem? A starter?

Thanks,

RG

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
If I had to venture a guess without actually looking at the car , I'd say it's the battery .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Or a connection somewhere in there. I just had a very similar problem on my SHO. As soon as I pulled the cables and cleaned everything it's running much better. It was pulling the voltage down because the alternator wasn't getting a full charge.
But yours DOES sound slightly different...

Oh yeah, and I can understand why you didn't want to post in the general section.

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Allen - if that's the battery - why the booster cables don't do the job then? I mean the car should have started anyway, even with a bad battery...

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
was it a jumper pack? or a full size charger? if its a jumper i've run into many instances were it wouldnt start a car

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by R_G:
Allen - if that's the battery - why the booster cables don't do the job then? I mean the car should have started anyway, even with a bad battery...

If the battery's not up to the task ... it's not up to the task - even WITH cables/charger . I see that scenerio all the time .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
R
R_G Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
All right, thanks...

Link Copied to Clipboard