Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I don't understand your distrust of rebates. I have never had an issue with them, although they can be a bit annoying. May 31st gives you plenty of time to receive the goods and send in the rebate.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:
I don't understand your distrust of rebates. I have never had an issue with them, although they can be a bit annoying. May 31st gives you plenty of time to receive the goods and send in the rebate.

Me neither. Mail-in rebates are a bit of an annoyance, and a marketing ploy, but as long as you remember to fill them out and send them in, then it's a ploy you're not falling for. I got a brand new LG VX-8100 cell phone for free this way ($200 of mail-in rebates).

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Crap, am I the only one here that prefers Intel to AMD? Everyone is right when they tell you to steer clear of the Celeron though. Especially if you are planning on doing ANY gaming or running multiple applications at the same time. The Celeron is essentially a crippled Pentium. If you want Intel, then definitely spend the extra money on the P4.

For comparison: I have a large-format printer. When printing an image approx. 2' x 3', my old P4-based 2ghz Celeron w/ 1.5 gig memory would take around 4 hours to RIP and print the image. My P4 640 @ 3.2ghz w/ 1 gig memory does the same job in about 20 minutes.

I would say if you lean more towards gaming, then consider the AMDs. If you lean more towards data-intensive applications, then lean towards Intel. Which ever way you do end up going, buy the most powerful, highest model processor you can afford. This will help you to delay that future upgrade a little.

As far as where to buy, I would tend to steer clear of tigerdirect. They charge a REDICULOUS amount for shipping, and their prices aren't all that great. Newegg and ZipZoomFly have better prices and better shipping. If you know specifically what you're looking for, then check Price Grabber for the best prices.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I've been really busy with finals right now. But last night on a break I put together a 3.2 p4 intel that hads pci express slots and a crap load of memory expansion. At the same time I put together an AMD with a 3200+ processor. The intel was slightly cheap, and had sata 3.0 cables and old school pata cables (i can keep my drives). the AMD did not it was only Sata 3.0 and sata raid.

The price difference was like 50 bucks shipped. intel was like 345ish and amd was 400ish.

BUT I dumped my temp internet files and I forgot that meants I lost the setups saved in my shopping cart.

But for now pretty busy getting work done.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
What motherboard were you looking at? I don't think I've seen one that only had sata ports. If it did, there'd be no way to hook up a cd drive.

Tan 98 Contour V6 ATX -BAT intake, SVT exhaust, SVT suspension, Stazi brakes, superchip, opt TB, opt Y "Max Power never abbreviates, each letter is as important as the one that preceeded it. Maybe even MORE important... no, as important."
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Max Power:
What motherboard were you looking at? I don't think I've seen one that only had sata ports. If it did, there'd be no way to hook up a cd drive.

Sure there would. They make CD drives with the SATA interface. Anyway, you're right, all motherboards I've seen with SATA still have an IDE controller for handling old ATA drives, usually optical and floppy drives.

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I build computers as well and if interested, I currently have one available but can make one to any specs.:

Antec Lanboy Aluminum case with lights
Front and Rear USB 2.0 and Audio Jacks
350 Watt Power Supply
MSI 7330 Mainboard 754 Pin 64bit
AMD Sempron 2600+ 64bit Retail CPU (3 year warranty)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition
512mb PC 3200 DDR Memory
Chaintech Nvidia FX 5200 128mb DDR Video Card
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
56X CD-ROM
Floppy Disk Drive
80gb Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive
MSI Wireless network Card
56K V.92 Modem Card
Realtek AC�97 5.1 Channel Surround Sound
Power Keyboard
Optical Mouse
Amplified Stereo Speakers
All Original packaging and CD-Drivers Disks

You pay actual S&H...I prefer FEDEX Ground.

kc5md@aol.com

The Drake Equation States: N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L Meaning That There Is A Good Chance That We Are Not Alone.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Rishodi:
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
yeah I know the hard drive is probably semi slow. I would have to look up online what the seek time is. I know its not horrible though. Plus there is ~400 dollars worth of software on it, if not more.

I'm still not sure how an AMD that is 1.8 or 2.0 ghz is faster then a 3.2ghz intel. The steps are shorter in the AMD, but I don't know how another 1.2ghz could not out do that.

There are three reasons. The first explains why the Celeron is not actually faster than the Sempron 64, despite the advertised clock speed.

1) AMD chips perform more operations per clock cycle than Intel chips. By this alone then, the "speed" of the Sempron 64 and the Celeron are comparable.

The next two reasons are why the Sempron 64 is actually better.

2) The Sempron 64 is (as you can tell by the name) 64-bit. This is a huge plus, even though on 32-bit machines you're not going to notice too much difference.
3) Superior architecture. No exceptions, the CPU architectures designed by AMD during this generation of processors blow the Intel chips out of the water. Not only are they faster, they're also less prone to overheating.

64-bit is a huge plus? can you tell me exactly why?

are you runnning a 64-bit OS? do you have device drivers that actually WORK on that OS? hmmm...

my comment to this thread... wait 3-4 months, save up some extra $$$$ during that time and buy an Intel Core Duo2 system (i.e. Conroe) - at least it won't be outdated in 12 months

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Um, he said "you're not going to notice too much difference" yet. In time you will, and for someone buying a PC to last them 3-4 years of upgrades, having a 64-bit CPU is a "huge plus" since it allows much more room for future upgrades as long as you're not buying a socket standard that's on the way out.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by sigma:
Um, he said "you're not going to notice too much difference" yet. In time you will, and for someone buying a PC to last them 3-4 years of upgrades, having a 64-bit CPU is a "huge plus" since it allows much more room for future upgrades as long as you're not buying a socket standard that's on the way out.

wow - i don't know too many folks with computers older than 3-4 years old... i must be e-spoiled

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard