Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1559498 04/29/06 08:13 AM
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Pete D:
Elasticity has a huge amount to do with it from a customer standpoint. There are no subsitute goods for most oil products (gasoline for example), so if price goes up you can only use less. If Microsoft decides they want to charge $1000 for Vista, what will happen? Nobody will buy it, they'll pirate or, switch to linux, or Apple or choose a bunch of other options.

ExxonMobil has huge amounts of fixed costs (tied up in a lot of PP&E) where as Microsoft has a lot more variable costs. You can't compare the industries for a logical argument.

While most Americans don't understand why, they see that Oil companies are making record profits and they are paying record prices. When they put the two together they are understandably pissed.

I don't know about you but I don't see mothers and johnny myspace switching to Linux, nor do they have the money to switch to Apple. Windows really does not have a substitute good.

I'm not comparing, nor do I care, nor is it the case here the sources of their production costs. It doesn't matter. Any industry works to keep production costs as low as possible, they don't artificially inflate it especially in the ultra competitive oil industry.

Business is business, and the oil industry is the perfect microcosm of the principles and ideals that the country is built on. Unfortunately it's not very pleasant when you're on the other end of the capitalism stick.

Originally posted by RT and his SE:
When's the next time you'll buy a new OS compared to your next fill up. Would you rather get 30% every 2 or 3 years or 8% every 3 days?

As far as supply manipulation goes Enron(with electricity)did it so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. He11, big oil could be helping to feed the uncertainty in the speculators!

You fill up every 3 days ?? Holy cow man, you need to reassess your transportation [censored]. How the hell do you burn through 55 gal every three days ?

#1559499 04/29/06 08:13 AM
P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
What the Fed needs to do is regulate the oil industry. Oil prices (as the big companies would have you believe) are set by the price of oil per barrell, wich they claim they have no control over. Well, if you believe them, they are robbing us blind. Ten years ago the price per barrel of oil was around 45 dollars. The avarage price per gallan, for gasoline, was around 1.25 (regular). Now the price of oil is 75 dollars per barrel and gas is over 3 dollars. Do the math! The price per barrel has gone up 60%. Gasoline should therfore be about 2 dollars a gallon. NOT over 3. The extra money is not because of taxes. It is entirely because we have been misled by big oil AND the politicians in their pockets that our prices should be set by what the rest of the world does, even though we get less than 30% of are oil from foreign sources. Most people look to the Middle east and think thats where are oil comes from. IT DOES NOT! In fact the list of foreign oil goes something like this, Canada, Great Britain, Mexico, Venezuela and then the ENTIRE middle east region! The last report I saw (even in the NY Times it's hidden) only 20% of total foreign oil is from the middle east. This is were we get misled. The news will report that countries like Kuait (just one example) supply 7% of our oil. This seems like alot for one country, until you realize the 7% they are talking about is from total forein oil (wich again is only 30% of are oil use). That's less than one quarter of one percent of our oil use. So someone tell me how they have any influance on our oil prices? So back to what I said in the beginning of this rant. The government needs to regulate the oil industry. Not give them money to do "research" on where to find more oil, Not sell them cheep oil (after Katrina) to offset their cost and increase their profits. And not allow them to rip us off any more!

All the firgures I have given are from memory. They may be off a bit, but not alot!

#1559500 04/29/06 08:23 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Ten years ago the price per barrel of oil was around 45 dollars. The avarage price per gallan, for gasoline, was around 1.25 (regular). Now the price of oil is 75 dollars per barrel and gas is over 3 dollars. Do the math! The price per barrel has gone up 60%. Gasoline should therfore be about 2 dollars a gallon. NOT over 3.

Quote:

All the firgures I have given are from memory. They may be off a bit, but not alot!

"Not alot"? You couldn't be further from the truth.

10 years ago today, the average price of a gallon of gas in the US was $1.31. The crude oil price on 04/29/1996 that day was $22.07 -- half of what you claim it was. In the time that crude prices have more than tripled, gas prices have only just doubled (most of this difference is due to taxes in the $1.31 that don't increase with the price of crude, so, in reality,the price of the crude portion of the gasoline cost has tripled as the cost of the crude itself has tripled).

Crude oil prices didn't hit $45 until July of 2004 -- not even 2 years ago. And it didn't get above $45 and stay there until barely a year ago. Either way, it wasn't even close to "10 years ago".

Here's a chart I made a little while ago with Pump vs. Barrel prices:

Quote:

Most people look to the Middle east and think thats where are oil comes from. IT DOES NOT! In fact the list of foreign oil goes something like this, Canada, Great Britain, Mexico, Venezuela and then the ENTIRE middle east region!

Great Britain? Uh. No. Not even in the top 10. Your others are correct though.

Quote:

The last report I saw (even in the NY Times it's hidden) only 20% of total foreign oil is from the middle east.

Hidden?

You make it out like it's some sort of conspiracy to hide the fact that most of our oil doesn't come from the Mid-East. It's pretty common knowledge. And the exact sources and amounts are freely available from the Department of Energy itself.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/rankings/crudebycountry.htm

Quote:

The last report I saw (even in the NY Times it's hidden) only 20% of total foreign oil is from the middle east. This is were we get misled. The news will report that countries like Kuait (just one example) supply 7% of our oil. This seems like alot for one country, until you realize the 7% they are talking about is from total forein oil (wich again is only 30% of are oil use).

Well, it certainly got you misled.

Of the total oil we consume in the US, Kuwait supplies about 1.7% -- that's a lot more than "one quarter of one percent".

Your primary math error lies in your incorrect statement of "total foreign oil is only 30% of our oil use", which is incorrect. 65% of our oil is imported not 30%; and Kuwait makes up 2.5% of that 65%.

Quote:

. This is were we get misled. The news will report that countries like Kuait (just one example) supply 7% of our oil. This seems like alot for one country, until you realize the 7% they are talking about is from total forein oil (wich again is only 30% of are oil use). That's less than one quarter of one percent of our oil use. So someone tell me how they have any influance on our oil prices?

Iran supplies virtually none of our oil, yet they can influence our prices. In fact, right now, they're probably the single biggest influence on highly speculative oil prices.

Oil prices are set world-wide. Just because Iran, or anyone else, doesn't supply us doesn't mean anything. They supply other countries with oil. And when those countries don't get their oil from Iran for some reason, they have to buy it from someone that we do buy oil from. This means that we have to essentially 'outbid' them for it to ensure that we can get it. That means that we pay more for the same exact gas, from the same exact countries, because some other country that we don't even buy from, did something.

Or here's another one -- Gold. Also has prices set world-wide. Iran doesn't provide the world with any significant quantities of gold, yet their actions alone in recent weeks have pushed the price of Gold up 20%.

When you deal in commodities with prices set on an international level, you're going to have prices that you pay affected by actions that don't affect you at all. And may or may not even have a measurable effect on supply. But they still affect prices. It's just the way commodities markets work.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1559501 04/29/06 02:33 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:
I'm not claiming any secrets on oil company spending. I'm expecting these discretionary items to be legitimate, overt and nothing to hide. Net income does not tell the whole story.

Given the microscope that has been focused on the oil industry for the last couple of years, I tend to think that "creative profiteering" is probably at a minimum. The few 10K statements I've thumbed through do not show anything wild, but it would probably take a team of auditors digging through internal books to flush out the full story. Again, given the oversight (voluntary and otherwise) that the energy sector is going through right now, I feel pretty comfortable that they aren't buying all of their employees $6K shower curtains or in your own terms, grossly inflating discretionary expenses outside of historical values.

The information I received the Saudi Arabia figures from are direct from the U.S. Department of Energy. I consider that to be a reliable source. Even if Iran pulls from Western markets, if they sell all that oil to China, it's the same thing. If they pull out completely, they will be committing suicide.

Then I find it interesting that OPEC has stated that they are pumping "flat-out" with little capacity left to spare; the "hedge" that Saudi possesses may be far greater that what OPEC is allowing for in their tally...

In any case, the oil that Iran sells ends up in Canada and Mexico from time to time and THEN is piped to the US; the totals that other countries plaster are quite often skewed to a degree this way. Iran is not the only country that serves as a "buffer" for any short-term supply distruptions that may take place, either; it seems like the entire Middle-East plays in this practice (i.e., OPEC).

This creates a domino effect if they start exclusively selling to other markets that consume it and will not resell the product to us; past that, the psychological effect ANY supply removal in this volatile market is going to have a "ripple effect" and one that magnifies itself quickly.

I do not see EITHER country putting a cork in their oil sales, but I can see them potentially trying to destabilize oil prices this way if we start playing hardball with them on nuclear capability (i.e., Iran) or for just being a complete and utter schmuck (i.e., Chavez in Venezuela).

Venezuela would also be collapsing their own economy if they didn't supply oil. Even if someone else is buying it, it's still on the market. I see the realistic chances of them disrupting real supply to be next to nonexistent. It's all rhetoric.

OK, but if it's being sold on a market that we have no access to (i.e., back-channels or the BLACK MARKET), then for all intents and purposes it's not an available commodity to the US...

Speculators do not respond well towards any sort of supply restriction, real or imagined.

Again, the hurricanes caused paranoia. Saudi Arabia had even offered to make up the difference in production, but it was the restriction of refining capacity that ended up making the question moot. Added crude wasn't going to do any good, yet the price of crude still went up.

True to an extent, but when setting the price of oil for they day, speculators are not looking at refining capacity as the defining metric of setting price; they are looking at oil supply from available markets as one of the key indicators. Future availability (or the lack thereof) also played a significant part in setting price as well. There was also some very real damage done to many oil platforms out in the Gulf as well, so the distruption was more than just a temporary halting of operations due to people flying to safety; some platforms were sunk or blown off of their moorings...

Yet the short term oil contracts have gone through the roof, despite no short term oil constraint. That makes no legitimate sense. I could see longer term contracts adding a premium, but it should have no effect on the price today.

The upcoming hurricane season, political instability, the yield of some larger fields being revised downward, ever-increasing demand from Asia...

...I see a lot that is starting to spike the price of crude.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
#1559502 04/29/06 05:34 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Traders are morons if they don't look at refining capacity. It is the indicator of demand for the raw product.

I agree they are responding to imagined restrictions, which is not rational thinking.

I see a lot of excessive paranoia spiking the price of oil.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
#1559503 04/29/06 06:14 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
They do look at it, but as I said, it's not a defining metric given that the supply-side is of MUCH more concern today. Demand is ALWAYS going to be climing, at least in the forseeable future. That's probably the only certainty they have with the product...

I see some paranoia, but no more that is as usual.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
#1559504 04/29/06 06:29 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Mid Life Crisis:
Sorry...slow day at work so far...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp. (NYSE:XOM - news), the world's largest publicly traded oil company, on Thursday reported quarterly profit rose 7 percent to $8.4 billion , pushed higher by the surge in crude oil prices.

It was the biggest profit ever posted by the Texas-based oil behemoth in the first quarter, but it still fell short of Wall Street forecasts.

Wah, Wah. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. If you don't like it then don't drive, otherwise STFU.

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
#1559505 04/29/06 06:58 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by sigma:
Originally posted by sigma:
Originally posted by JaTo:
Originally posted by Pete D:
Originally posted by ODC:
Exxon's profit margins are slightly above 10%. That means they sold about 80bn worth of gasoline.

That's pretty low margins for any industry. For comparo's sake, Microsoft makes 30%-40% profit margins off it's software.

Comparing Microsoft with Exxon (or any petrol company) is absurd, they aren't in the same industry, have totally different cost structures and don't have similiar products just to start. Not to mention that the demand for gas is largely inelastic and that gas is a commodity....

Margins are margins and profit is profit; no, MS is not a commodity-based company, but for people screaming about the amount of money being made (a few pennies on the dollar) in gas sales vs. at least HALF of a dollar going to the bottom-line on SW, it again BEGS the question of people's perception on what "screwing" really is.

You are absolutely right; COST STRUCTURE does play a HUGE role in margins and therefore profits. What kills me is that these companies are building equipment to find oil (no mean feat in of itself) and once it's found, they build equipment that plows MILES through rock, mud and sand to suck up oil, pipe it or transport it sometimes thousands of miles away which after getting piped through refractionating towers and "crackers", then makes it's way through yet another form of transportation to the gas station where the consumer fills up.

It takes a s**tload of investment to do the above and the fact that it's still only $2-3/gallon amazes me.

MS sold 17 million copies of XP in the first 2 months after rollout. IRC we consumers buy 250 million gallons of gas a day. When's the next time you'll buy a new OS compared to your next fill up. Would you rather get 30% every 2 or 3 years or 8% every 3 days?

Would you rather pay 10% of each paycheck in taxes or just pay 10% of your gross in April all at once? It's the same thing. 30% is 30%, 8% is 8%.

If it'd make you feel better, you can ask Exxon if they'd be willing to shave 8% off the price now and just bill you in 2009 for 8% of all the gas you've pumped the past 3 years. It'd be exactly the same amount of money either way.

Or, better yet, let them hit you for 30% 3 years from now. After all, it's okay to pay 30% if you've only got to pay it every 3 years.

There's a flaw in your math.
Let's say you buy a copy of full XP home for $149 and keep it for 3 years. MS profits $44 year one and nothing in year 2 or 3.

You put $20 in the tank. The oil company profits $1.60 (assume 8 cent profit per dollar). 3 days later you do the same thing and so on for a year = $197 x 3 years = $597.
Now imagine profiting 24 cents (assuming $3 a gallon) on 250 million gallons every day of the year!
Consumable vs durable goods.
Make more sense now?

There's no flaw in the math. So, Exxon makes more profit? There's a whole lot more work and costs in supplying you with 2000 gallons of gasoline over 3 years than supplying you with a piece of software.

Over the course of 3 years you paid MS $149 and they pocketed $44 in profit. Over the same 3 years, if you pumped $20 in gas every 3 days as in your example, you paid Exxon more than 6 thousand dollars for their goods, 40 times what you paid MS. They should, and BETTER be making more than the same $44 you gave MS.

Go to your bank. Ask them to borrow $6000. Tell them that, after 3 years, you'll pay them $6,044 -- an extra $44 for their help. Tell them that "MS only made $44 off me the past 3 years, that should be good enough for you too." See how quick they are to take you up on that.

Or, let's say that you own a small business. You need 40 copies of XP @ $149 each (roughly $6000, the same that you paid for your gas). MS just pocketed $1700 in profit on the same sales of just $6000 where Exxon only pocketed $597. Which company do you want to invest in?

What's your solution? That Exxon should only make 0.5% margins because, over 3 years, that's about the same dollar amount of profits that MS would make with 30%? It's clear that you've never invested a dollar in your life.

Lets see if I can make it clear for you because you clearly don't understand and you clearly know nothing about what I'm saying or who I am.
Which one cost you more? My point is that to the individual consumables like gas at 8% are much more costly than durables at 30%. Is it becoming more clear yet?
Whats good for business is not always good for the economy and visa versa. I don't need to tell you how many products are affected by fuel costs and how all oil related cost are passed on down the line. Increased consumer product cost leads to reduced consumption...blah, blah, blah, it's the 70's all over again. Big business didn't see it coming then(till it was to late) and I'm not sure they see it now. So maybe a reduction in margin is not such a bad thing. Good for the economy over all and even with Wall streets twitchiness with margins cash in the bank will make them smile.
I'm more concerned with the individuals financial well being than the corporation because I think the former takes care of the latter better than the other way around.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
#1559506 04/29/06 07:40 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Which one cost you more? My point is that to the individual consumables like gas at 8% are much more costly than durables at 30%. Is it becoming more clear yet?

Gasoline at 8% is more costly to you than MS at 30%. But there's a lot of small business owners in this country that will spend far more on profits to MS over a lifetime than they will to Big Oil.

And that's probably not true either, you only think that you pay more for consumables at 8% because you fail to really look at how much profit you spend out in a month. What you spend on profits on durables in a given month (if you were to spread the profit out over the lifetime of the good) likely far outshadows what you pay in profits on consumables.

Quote:

Whats good for business is not always good for the economy and visa versa. I don't need to tell you how many products are affected by fuel costs and how all oil related cost are passed on down the line. Increased consumer product cost leads to reduced consumption...blah, blah, blah, it's the 70's all over again. Big business didn't see it coming then(till it was to late) and I'm not sure they see it now.

You'd have a point if the margins were significant enough to impact the economy. Simple fact of the matter is that if all the profit was taken out of gas it would still be expensive; few people would even notice the impact on their pocketbook. By your own math, even at exhorbitant pumping (20 gallons ever 3 days) you only paid $597 over three years. Average consumption is probably half that at best, so the average person is only paying about $100/year, less than $10/month, in direct profits to Big Oil. Ooohhh. Look out economy!

Figure everything else I spend in a month, and figuring the average margin of S&P companies is 9% (IIRC), I will pay out more than $300 in pure profit to numerous companies in a given month. That's not even counting whatever percentage of the interest all my lenders get to pocket in profit. So, figure that financial instituions make an average of 35% margins, and spending almost $2,000/month in interest payments; I'm spending a good $1,000 just in direct profit to various companies every single month. More than $12,000 per year. And Big Oil will get roughly $100 of that. Ohhh. We better knock that one out of there huh?! Let's go after one of the smallest contributors to my payouts in a year.

The fact my mortgage lender will make about $3,000 in profit on my house payments this year alone is okay, but that Exxon will make $200 on me this year is not? Or Food. Also a consumable. I'll probably spend more than $500/year in profit to various companies for food -- five times the profit that I'll pay to various companies for fuel. Oh, but let's go after the oil companies.

So gas profits amount to less than 1% of the total profits I pay out in a given month. But these are the ones that you're worried about? Even for a person not spending as much as I do, gas profits are still going to total an average of just $10/month. An amount, at best, of maybe 5% of the total profits that they paid out that month, and not a fraction of the total profits that they paid for food that month.

An added 24 cents onto a gallon of gas isn't going to make or break the economy, not even close, but it will make or break an oil company.

Quote:

So maybe a reduction in margin is not such a bad thing. Good for the economy over all and even with Wall streets twitchiness with margins cash in the bank will make them smile.

Cash in the bank will make them smile?

You really are new to this aren't you?

If you made $400 Billion Dollars in revenue and told Wall Street you were only going to make $4B in profits at best (1% margins so you save a whopping 21 cents/gallon) forever because "it's the right thing to do", your stock would probably be worthless within a week.

That $4B in "cash in the bank" means nothing. No one wants to own stock in a company with 1% margins and no hope of doing far better. The company would make more money selling their assets and putting the cash into T-Bonds than they would staying in business. And forget investing in your company. Return on capital invested would be a negative value. There's not even a decent return on their investments now with 8%. Why spend $100B on a refinery that will take a century to break even when you can put that $100B into any other investment outside of your company making 1% and make exponentially more money than you would ever make off another refinery?

So no incentive at all the grow your company. No incentive to cut costs either. Why try to save money if you don't get to reap the rewards? Since you're always going to make just 1% costs get out of hand. Who cares? You're gonna make your 1% either way it goes. So, the cost of your product actually goes up because you have no incentive to keep the costs low. That's what happens, without fail, when comapnies/industries become regulated -- growth stagnates and prices increase.

There's a company I want to own stock in. A company with piddly margins and no hope for growth.

And all to save just 21 cents a gallon -- less than the average price has gone up in the past 3 weeks alone. Neither you nor the economy would even notice the difference. But it would bring a trillion-dollar industry to its' knees.

For a good case in point, take a look at Ford. The market cap on Ford is less than it has in cash. That means that the market says that Ford is worth less the the cash it has in the bank. A "Ford Dollar" is apparently worth less than a "real dollar". That's what happens when you have "cash in the bank" but a company with very low margins and investors aren't foreseeing near-term growth in those margins.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1559507 04/29/06 08:32 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
It's not the oil companies that are profiteering off this, it's the crude oil producers who spend far less than $70 a barrel extracting and delivering crude and the paranoid commodities traders who are screming Chicken Little and are bidding up the price of oil without reason.

These people need to be diva-slapped until they realize that supply is not nearly the concern they think it is in the short term. If you want to be concerned about 2010 or 2015, fine. That has no relevance in the price of what is being delivered next month.

Paranoia also exists within both stock and bond analysis of Ford.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard