Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
yeah, if there was a way I knew of to get in, or if I had a 4 wheel drive, I would have gone further in and checked around, but alas, I only have a mini-van.
I am still curious about it though.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Renee... how far down Patton before it ran into a house? Do you remember the Ave?

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
not quite sure. I drove on Patton for at least 15 minutes between 50 and 65 mph. It's nice & hilly and fun until it turns into the dirt road. I didn't go but more than 2 miles on that dirt road. Not without a 4 wheel drive

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Ok gang, I checked that new Google Earth and it has a bit better graphics to see things, and I found out how to get out to this track. I am going to get some gas and head out.
I was told by one lady that she thought it was Chrysler's testing grounds, but it could be Toyota's but she thinks it's been sold, if that's the one she's thinking of. I will let you all know in a few hours.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
ok gang, I found it. What I had to do was to go west on Patton, turn north on 299th I think it was, then west on Peakview, and that road led straight to the track. They had a guard and all so I couldn't go in and check it out, but it's definately the Toyota Proving Grounds.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
little snipet from Toyota's site about the proving grounds:

Originally posted by "www.toyota.com":

Toyota Arizona Proving Grounds
With one of the world's largest test tracks, the Toyota Arizona Proving Ground (TAPG) is home to one of TTC's Vehicle Evaluation departments. Unveiled in 1993, TAPG provides facilities for rigorous performance durability tests under the harsh conditions found in the Arizona desert.

Members of the Vehicle Evaluation department at TAPG use the facility's 10-mile high-speed oval track, ride and handling course, dirt course, straightaway, brake test area and steep grade area to simulate just about any road and driving condition around the United States.

At the Proving Ground, TTC professionals conduct a range of durability tests, incorporating all facets of motoring - from city and highway driving, to parking in the hot sun. The group tests and evaluates ride comfort, handling characteristics and trailer towing capabilities. In addition, the Arizona team conducts heat-related tests and rough-road reaction tests, as well as cold weather tests at off-site locations.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
cool! I installed Google Earth a couple days ago, since the linux version is finally out, and also noticed the better quality pics. It still looked like a pretty good drive. Oh, any idea what that big triangle is? Looks like it's on top of a mountain/hill just east of the Toyota facility.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
The big triangles, if they're the same ones I'm thinking of, are old abandoned Luke Air Force Base auziliary fields. There's a couple of them out by Luke, and IIRC a couple down by Williams Gateway Airport, since it also used to be an Air Force base.

Arizona NECO Member, Website Admin Welcoming both Cougar and Contour owners from Arizona! 1999 Mercury Cougar V6 MTX Injen short-ram, Z3 fenders, Kaminari style hood 15.577 @ 86.978mph
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
That would explain all the "cloaked" Toyotas, Jags, VW's, and Fords that I see on the Westside. I followed a few Jags a few months ago... I got bored and turned around.

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I saw a "cloaked" new Volvo (looked like possibly a redesigned S40?) driving down 19th Ave right by my house a month or two ago. In front and behind it were two more "unmasked" standard S40's with little antenna's on the roof with the cord going down inside the cabin thru the window.

Damn me for not busting out the camera phone....

Arizona NECO Member, Website Admin Welcoming both Cougar and Contour owners from Arizona! 1999 Mercury Cougar V6 MTX Injen short-ram, Z3 fenders, Kaminari style hood 15.577 @ 86.978mph
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Keyser Soze 

Link Copied to Clipboard