Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1541530 04/20/06 07:29 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Originally posted by JimD:
I confess to buying inexpensive towels for light duty as it seems there's never enough clean towels around.

I have tried several bargain brands in the roughly 12"x16" size -- what you might call "commodity" items, usually available in rolls of 3-5. Zwipes, Vroom (Target's house brand), Viking, Turtle Wax, SM Arnold, and the like... and they all seemed fine.

Probably the one thing to look out for is how the corners are stitched -- or rather, heat welded -- I try to avoid those. The Detailer's Choice (Tiger Accessory Group) in 70/30 blend had sharp welded corners that I didn't notice until I got them home, but maybe it was just my batch. A tad thin, they were cheap at $2.49 for 3 at Big Lots.

And of course I've got a broad selection of quality towels of varying weaves.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Great overview on MF towels.

There is a difference in MF. Don't think they are all the same. You put a WalMart MF side by side with a quality MF and you will see and feel the difference.

As Jim does, I use the cheaper ones for light duty types of things. For me i use the cheap ones for windows, interior, wheels, etc. When I polish/buff, I use higher quality MF towels to minimize scratching the paint.

A waffle weave towel is used for drying. Try www.pakshak.com or any of the links JimD provided to check out various types/kinds of MF.

Did you say you also apply polish/wax with microfiber cloths?

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1541531 04/20/06 07:32 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Tourige:

Mis-interpreted/poor choice of words on my part.

I use nicer MF after polishing to buff/clean the paint.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#1541532 04/20/06 07:33 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by R_G:
I know ya'll r not gonna like it - but IMHO there's abs. no difference whatsoever.

For anal retentive people, there is a difference.

The material used to seal off the edges varies. The "good" ones use silk so that you don't drag a thread material back and forth across your paint and scratch it up.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#1541533 04/20/06 11:36 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Originally posted by Tourige:

Mis-interpreted/poor choice of words on my part.

I use nicer MF after polishing to buff/clean the paint.

Im guessing you use a Foam applicator?

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1541534 04/21/06 01:45 AM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
im sure u all know the foam applicators that are yellow circles, anyone have any opionons on these?

1999 T-Red Contour Sport w/ 78000 miles
#1541535 04/24/06 02:52 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:
im sure u all know the foam applicators that are yellow circles, anyone have any opionons on these?

I was using those for a while, then I picked up some M/F applicators. Now the foam ones are used for interior, engine & wheels only. Painted surfaces (except wheels) get the more gentle M/F applicators. Kind of the same way Pete is with towels.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
#1541536 04/29/06 06:36 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by SonĂ?¼s:
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:

I was using those for a while, then I picked up some M/F applicators. Now the foam ones are used for interior, engine & wheels only. Painted surfaces (except wheels) get the more gentle M/F applicators. Kind of the same way Pete is with towels.

Microfiber applicators are not strong enough to apply any type of polish. Foam is best used for applying polishes. Use microfiber applicators waxes and glazes.

I use the microfiber towels from www.poorboysworld.com.

Last edited by Antonio Wright; 04/29/06 06:37 PM.

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
#1541537 05/01/06 09:10 AM
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
There is a difference. Cheaper microfiber towels are usually nonprocessed.A non-split microfiber.
Depending on your need and task for a M.F towel,you have different woven factors you have to take into consideration. Along with your percentage of Polyester and Polyamide. The normal range is 80% polyes / 20% polya. The 70% / 30% are more expensive. What maks a M.f towel work are the lil' tiny microfiber hooks within the towel itself. This is how it is able to pick up and hold dirt.
M.F has been around for ages. The most commonly used is seen almost every day. Ever notice a person who wears glasses clean the lens? You usually get a tiny gray cloth about 3 x 3 square with some cleaning solusion when he or she purchases his /her glasses. This is a very, very, very, fine microfiber cloth.
Another thing is never, ever wash your micro towels with any other piece of fabric it will grab lint like a magnet. Simple detergent! NO additives such as bleach, woollite,spray on stain lifters or softeners.The cloth will do what it was designed to do and try to lift and hold particles from the products mentioned. Get polluted and become worthless.
The weave on the M.F towel determines its performance.Ranging from feathered hooks to tightly hooked fiber ends, or even the finely milled. There are now the waffle weave, zigzag weave or cross stitch which are fairly new though have yet to be proven if they accomplish any added benefit. The weave determines the felt difference on the clothes edge, which is why some feel like silk more than others.Feathered is best for cleaning glasses or glass. The tightly hooked is best used for buffing. Polishing the finely milled weave.
Consider the dynamics of a thin piece of strand. Denier is the unit of measurement in fabric and it's thin properties.Silk carries a denier of 8 per strand.Cotton 200. Human hair 20.Microfiber has a denier of 0.01 to 0.02. 100 x at minimal ,finer than the strand of hair on your head. Yet,softer than silk and strong has nails.
Now, what would you use to detail with? A terry cloth or a microfiber that produces hundreds of thousands of micro hooks per square inch?

2000 Merc LS #25302 Ducati Monster 620 (red), 250 Honda VTR (white and blue),Kawaski Eliminator 600(red), mini chopper(a.k.a)Suzuki Savage LS 650 modified (black)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard