Next Thread
Print Thread
W
weasel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Battery light would come on for a few minutes, then go away. Would stay off for a while, the re-appear for a few minutes. Today, came on and stayed on. DVM confirmed, running off the battery. Crap.

Well I have Ray's how-to printed off, any last minute advice before I cough up for the alternator and dive in ??

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Make sure you check the in line alternator maxi fuse befor you jump into changing the alternator. It is in the wire that goes from the battery to the B+ post on the alternator. It is along the firewall, behind the coil pack on the V6.

If you have to change the alternator, have a lot of patience.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
O
OB1 Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Also the plug that plugs into the alt has a squareish metal retainer around it. If you lose this retainer the plug slides off. I replaced the alt on my SE & this was the only problem!

I don't "mod" I just fix what breaks! 98 CSVT #2527 T-Red (Limping) 98 CSVT #2228 T-Red (Donor) 98 SE Sport ATX V6 (Running again) If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me!
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I'll give you some advice from when i did mine on monday. Go from the bottom, use U-Joints, extentions, and don't be affraid to stick ur arm up in there to reach stuff. I did it all from underneath. Didn't do anything from up top. it was actually much easier from underneath. Just put the car on jackstands. I had a lift, but we actually only had the car about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. Good luck.

Robert

2000 Ford Contour SVT-t GT28R - 287whp/314wtq @ 11 psi (very little tuning) Cardomain Page Photobucket Page *Formally XxColdAzFireXx*
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Make sure you have some beer for when you're done.....you'll have earned it! It can take a while to get this job done, but it's better than paying someone else to do it. Most shops will charge lots of $$$$. Just make sure you have a bunch of extensions and swivels for your ratchet. Good luck.
Scott

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Don't do in in the middle of July, in the sun, and on a gravel driveway....didn't have any choice..

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by getsum111:
Make sure you have some beer for when you're done.....you'll have earned it! It can take a while to get this job done, but it's better than paying someone else to do it. Most shops will charge lots of $$$$. Just make sure you have a bunch of extensions and swivels for your ratchet. Good luck.
Scott

try doing headers.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Maybe w/ next year's tax return. I know how bad that job sucks, but I've heard the power is worth it.
Scott

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
W
weasel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Well, I drove the car home from my folks' place and the light was on when I started the car, then after about 2 min of driving: poof. Damned thing went out !! You know, I think I am going to try changing the belt and see if that takes car of things first. I noticed too that the tensioner is near its limit for keeping tension on the belt. So maybe a slightly stretchy belt and something slippery on the belt may be the whole problem. If not I have the alternator here ready to go in.

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Only thing i would add is ...before you start...find all the bolts and spray the crap out of them with PB blaster or similar...when i did it, all of that stuff was corroded, i had to start applying so much force i was afraid that i would round out the heads...i stopped and sprayed all the bolts down a few times and waited a while for the tussin to soak in...didnt put up much of a fight after that...

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=

Link Copied to Clipboard