Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tbarney Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I've have a P0420 that keeps poping up after I clear it so based on what I've read here the precats are probably bad. 80k is long behind me so no luck on the warranty. Alternatives seem to be: 1: myster mod, 2: new precats, or 3: MSDS headers. If there other cheap alternatives please let me know.

My real question... Do the new headers come with new precats, or are the precats eliminated with the new headers ? If new headers will most likely solve my problem then I think that would be the way to go since precats will cost a few hundred, I might as well spend a few extra dollars and get the performance boost.

Thanks,
Tom

99 Sport ATX 1 owner, 94k Mobile 1 since 1k Mods:Sony MD Player, Sony XA-300 expansion unit, Sony CD Changer, XM Radio, 350Watt Alpine Amp, 2 10" Subs, Remote starter, glow gauges, K&N filter,OMP Front STB, SVT Exhaust(no res.)
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
The headers emilinate the precats, but you will have to run MIL eliminators to get rid of the CEL that will ensue shortly after installation.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by tbarney:
I've have a P0420 that keeps poping up after I clear it so based on what I've read here the precats are probably bad. 80k is long behind me so no luck on the warranty. Alternatives seem to be: 1: myster mod, 2: new precats, or 3: MSDS headers. If there other cheap alternatives please let me know.

My real question... Do the new headers come with new precats, or are the precats eliminated with the new headers ? If new headers will most likely solve my problem then I think that would be the way to go since precats will cost a few hundred, I might as well spend a few extra dollars and get the performance boost.

Thanks,
Tom

Nope, no precats in MSDS/weapon R, now is the best time to Upgrade to MSDS/weapon R because your going to spend the money anyways.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er

Thanks,
Tom

Or if you don't want to replace the headers you could try a new sensor first.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
What everyone else said.. Also, you'll actually SAVE money by buying headers. Precats from Ford are ~$1600.00, where as you can have Headers for ~$350

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 99cougar:

Thanks,
Tom

Or if you don't want to replace the headers you could try a new sensor first.

If the precats are clogged then a new O2 sensor wont do anything, like i said "IF"

much like your weiner.

T
tbarney Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Thanks for the quick replies. What are my chances that a sensor has gone bad? If there is only a 5-10% chance that will fix my problem then I might as well go right for the headers. If it is closer to 40 or 50% then it would be worth spending the $60 for the sensor.

Also, CTA Motorsports has 2 to pick from
Shorty header set HO810 (ATX or MTX) $655.00USD
Vortech Spec header set HO811 (Vortech Spec) $710.00USD

What is going to be the difference between the two ?

or am I just as good with the Weapon R headers for $350 ? They say Cougar, but isn't it the same for the contour ?

Last edited by tbarney; 03/10/06 03:49 AM.

99 Sport ATX 1 owner, 94k Mobile 1 since 1k Mods:Sony MD Player, Sony XA-300 expansion unit, Sony CD Changer, XM Radio, 350Watt Alpine Amp, 2 10" Subs, Remote starter, glow gauges, K&N filter,OMP Front STB, SVT Exhaust(no res.)
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
o2 sensors run about 65 bucks, guesstimate as they all differ in price.

Think of it this way, headers eliminate all other possible problems for only $350, and they'll help your engine out, if anything other than performance.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Thanks for the quick replies. What are my chances that a sensor has gone bad? If there is only a 5-10% chance that will fix my problem then I might as well go right for the headers. If it is closer to 40 or 50% then it would be worth spending the $60 for the sensor.

Also, CTA Motorsports has 2 to pick from
Shorty header set HO810 (ATX or MTX) $655.00USD
Vortech Spec header set HO811 (Vortech Spec) $710.00USD

What is going to be the difference between the two ?

or am I just as good with the Weapon R headers for $350 ? They say Cougar, but isn't it the same for the contour ?

Weapon R, the supercharger headers they have are for the Vortech supercharger that you dont have, and the MSDS ones they advertise include everything (headers, y pipe, installation kit etc.) when you only need the headers+coating (something you can buy seperatly)

much like your weiner.

T
tbarney Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Will these cougar headers fit onto my 99 V6 Contour (assuming I have the 3 bolt flange), or will that require too much modification ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard