Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
About to put a hammer to it...

It started doing this a couple of days ago, but tonight, it was about to choke & die whenever I stopped at lights, turned the steering wheel, used the defrost, ...

I don't think it's related to the electrical system (correct me on this).

No CEL.

Tranny? Torque converter? Engine itself?

While driving, it's fine (no misfires, no hesitation). COuld it be one of the about thousand sensors?

(I hate newer cars)

1995 4-banger Contour GL
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Does the wheel vibrate when your stopped in D. This is somewhat normal. If so mabye motor/tranny mounts.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have been going through the same thing with my 95 Zetec GL.
Here is what I have done.
Checked for vacuum leaks-good.
Changed the IAC valve-it was going anyway.
New plugs,wires and coil.
Cleaned throttle body-very dirty
Cleaned the MAF,IAT sensors
Changed the PCV valve-due anyway.
Now I'm onto a leaking fuel injector-in progress.

Something here will help you.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by zetec herman:
... ...motor/tranny mounts.

This would be my guess too.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Mine is sucking gas so I don't suspect the mounts.
Good point though.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I have the same thing. Mine shakes real bad, enought to vibrate the entire dash board. It goes away if I put it in Neutral while waiting for the green light (or give it some gas). I know it dosen't solve the problem. It's been doing it a long time, but I believe I remember a time when it didn't do it. I have a 95 2L dohc. It's got new timing everything, plugs, wire, belt, pullies, transmission rebuilt, throttle position sensor, EGA vlv, flow sensor, and just fixed the wires on the temp sensor and crank sensor. I've spent $3,200 (1800 on tran.)this past year and wondering if its been worth it. The PCV vlv might be a cheap thing to try. The O2 is next.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
When I had a similar problem to that, it turned out to be the PCV valve. It was clogged and caused a small hose to burst. A few bucks later, it was running just fine.

edit: SquareHead, I don't think the post following yours was directed to you. I believe it was to the original poster.

Last edited by snakous; 03/01/06 03:24 AM.

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by dbeale:
I have the same thing. Mine shakes real bad, enought to vibrate the entire dash board. It goes away if I put it in Neutral while waiting for the green light (or give it some gas). I know it dosen't solve the problem. It's been doing it a long time, but I believe I remember a time when it didn't do it. I have a 95 2L dohc. It's got new timing everything, plugs, wire, belt, pullies, transmission rebuilt, throttle position sensor, EGA vlv, flow sensor, and just fixed the wires on the temp sensor and crank sensor. I've spent $3,200 (1800 on tran.)this past year and wondering if its been worth it. The PCV vlv might be a cheap thing to try. The O2 is next.

Definitely tranny or engine mount.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by snakous:
...edit: SquareHead, I don't think the post following yours was directed to you. I believe it was to the original poster.

LOL. Correct.

W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
"Hamsterdan" (love the user name!) I can't really address the stalling issue you have, but I "used" to have the same vibration issue. While changing the Timing belt on my wife's Mystique, I also changed the Left and Right Eng/Trans mounts, Serpentine belt, Tensioner, and Idler pulley. Car has 110K and idles smoothly in Drive now.

I'd suggest trying the Serpentine Belt, Tensioner, and Idler pulley first to try and resolve the vibration. They're the cheaper items. A serpentine belt with any kind of slack/whip can set up a pretty strong vibration. It may look like it's running smooth across the upper pulleys, but if you pull the lower splash-guard and look at it (running), you may notice how much it moves.

If you end up doing Eng/Trans mounts, check "Anchor" ( P/N 2873 ) Left/Driver's side trans mount prior to installing it. The one I got from Auto-Zoo was 3/8" off in the spread of the bolt holes that go into the inner fender apron. The bolt holes on top that mount the airbox bracket were the wrong size and needed to be drilled and tapped for the next larger size bolts. The latter may have been a year/model change problem.

Your Stalling issue might be related to the power steering pressure switch if it only seems to happen while the wheel is turned to any extreme.

'97 Mercury Mystique Zetec/ATX (Wife's) '96 Ducati 900SS (Mine!) '86 Toyota P/U (it gets the bike to the track...)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard