Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
#1512178 03/23/06 03:12 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by jd28:
They also now have liquid electrical tape. Cool stuff just brush it on and let it dry. Comes in handy in tight spots.
Walmart has it in there wire terminal section. Glad to here you got that patched up.

Actually I have some of that. Maybe I'll try that...

ANYONE!!!???

Any ideas on the sticky feeling throttle?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1512179 03/23/06 03:36 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by mean'tour:
They also now have liquid electrical tape. Cool stuff just brush it on and let it dry. Comes in handy in tight spots.
Walmart has it in there wire terminal section. Glad to here you got that patched up.

ANYONE!!!???

check the throttle cable for binding and wear, a new one is about $30 to $40 from Bill so that could be an option, if you just cleaned the tb you didn't damage the seals or bearing in teh tb did you? if you want I have a slightly optomized stock se tb I can send to you, I have no need for it.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1512180 03/23/06 04:08 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by BrApple:

ANYONE!!!???

check the throttle cable for binding and wear, a new one is about $30 to $40 from Bill so that could be an option, if you just cleaned the tb you didn't damage the seals or bearing in teh tb did you? if you want I have a slightly optomized stock se tb I can send to you, I have no need for it.

I don't think I did any damage to the TB. I used some B-12 and some spray TB cleaner and a toothbrush. That's it.

You think a cable? Not some sort of sensor? I got under there this morning and looked around a little as it was running. I couldn't get it to stick as I revved it. I'll try again at lunchtime.

Thanks everyone.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1512181 03/23/06 04:17 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
is the throttle physically sticking or are the revs just hanging? as if the throttle is physically sticking then I would think that it is the cable

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1512182 03/23/06 04:25 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by BrApple:
is the throttle physically sticking or are the revs just hanging? as if the throttle is physically sticking then I would think that it is the cable

I really don't know. It is intermittent. In 3rd gear as I put the clutch in the shift at about 3200 rpms, if I hold the clutch in (no gas) the rpms will climb to over 4000... Most of the time. In lower gears it doesn't do it as much.

I'm not sure what is going on. By saying sticky throttle I was trying to describe what is going on.

I doubt it is just hanging, since the revs climb. Plus it didn't do this last week.

Huhhh.... If it's not one thing it's another. Luckily for me you guys are good with advice, suggestions etc. so I can fix things myself.

I'm going to run out at lunch and see what the CEL is about. I'm guessing it will be that same as prior to my cleaning weekend, lean on both banks. But we'll see.

Thanks again!

#1512183 03/23/06 05:55 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
What happens when you let the clutch back out? Does the car accelerate on its own (physically sticking). THat's what happened to me when I needed to replace the throttle cable because it was frayed.

Also, when you rev the car under the hood, keep in mind you're not using the cable to rev it. This would not allow you to replicate the problem. However, are you able to replicate the problem from the drivers seat (while parked)?

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
#1512184 03/23/06 06:49 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by zgendron:
What happens when you let the clutch back out? Does the car accelerate on its own (physically sticking). THat's what happened to me when I needed to replace the throttle cable because it was frayed.

Also, when you rev the car under the hood, keep in mind you're not using the cable to rev it. This would not allow you to replicate the problem. However, are you able to replicate the problem from the drivers seat (while parked)?

No. If I shift and let the clutch out the revs do stabilize.

You are right, I hadn't thought of that: "Also, when you rev the car under the hood, keep in mind you're not using the cable to rev it."

Just got back from AutoZone. CEL code: P0122. P0122 Throttle Position Sensor circuit Low Input.

I bought one, and will get it on there prior to going home. I believe that will take care of it.

Thanks again everyone. NECEG is the best!

#1512185 03/24/06 01:44 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by zgendron:

No. If I shift and let the clutch out the revs do stabilize.

You are right, I hadn't thought of that: "Also, when you rev the car under the hood, keep in mind you're not using the cable to rev it."

Just got back from AutoZone. CEL code: P0122. P0122 Throttle Position Sensor circuit Low Input.

I bought one, and will get it on there prior to going home. I believe that will take care of it.

Thanks again everyone. NECEG is the best!

Well, any other ideas? Unless I installed it incorrectly (which I'm going to run out and check -- I looked at installation instructions at AZone's website) it still isn't working.

Would I really need to undo the neg. battery cable? I guess it won't hurt anything...

Any other ideas?

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions.

#1512186 03/24/06 01:57 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Yes, but you don't have to unhook the negative terminal.

Just pull the only 3 amp fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. That will reset the ECU of all codes and let it relearn everything again. It will idle rough when you first start it, but after about 10 mins of driving it will return to normal. If it is fixed that is.

Pulling the fuse is easier than the negative terminal, and will not reset your clock and radio.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
#1512187 03/24/06 03:10 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Yes, but you don't have to unhook the negative terminal.

Just pull the only 3 amp fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. That will reset the ECU of all codes and let it relearn everything again. It will idle rough when you first start it, but after about 10 mins of driving it will return to normal. If it is fixed that is.

Pulling the fuse is easier than the negative terminal, and will not reset your clock and radio.

Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know which fuse to pull, so had been unhooking the neg... Thanks.

I pulled the TPsensor and carefully reinstalled it according to the directions on : AutoZone , and pulled that fuse to reset the computer. Still CEL is on and it is still doing the high revving thing, even though it's a little better. It's not revving as high or as often.

Any other ideas? I will try to get the codes pulled again today, see if it is something different...

Could it be the little tube I broke on the weekend? I haven't got around to repairing it yet. This is it (circled). Anyone know what this is (disregard the finger- check what is circled in red):

Thanks again. This is getting a little frustrating.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard