Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoâ??¢:
... a fatality would invite a new report from the local sheriff and, most likely, a grand jury investigation. Under the law, even an accidental hunting death can result in criminal charges, and Cheney could be charged with negligence should Whittington die as a result of his injuries."

Not likely based on testimony from the family & witnesses in the hunting party. I.E. Whittington didn't rejoin the group or let them know where he was.

This is all crazy stuff over a hunting accident.

This is all crazy stuff over the hope that the press can shove Cheney out of office.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Viss1:
AFAIK one guy in the press briefing asked if Cheney was going to resign, and a few other reporters laughed.

Actually, it was a lady, and I'd be interested to see if she works for one of the two news sources you consider to be adequate. And that other reporters laughed indicates the obsurdity of the question.

The coverage is despicable, considering that they made the story out to be that the press wasn't told about the event until a few hours after it happened, not what the story really was. Until the media abandons their self-righteousness, they will continue to be a laughing stock.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
all I know is if the dude dies, cheney should at least have some kind of trial. if it was anyone other than the VP of the USA, there would be. think about it, he admitted he shot someone (even being an accident), and he dies.

but we're all jumping the gun a little, wait to see if the guy pulls through.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
all I know is if the dude dies, cheney should at least have some kind of trial. if it was anyone other than the VP of the USA, there would be.

NO.

There might be an additional report from law enforcement, a review of the case by a judge, but a trial will not be required - even if it was NOT the VP.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
all I know is if the dude dies, cheney should at least have some kind of trial. if it was anyone other than the VP of the USA, there would be.

NO.

There might be an additional report from law enforcement, a review of the case by a judge, but a trial will not be required - even if it was NOT the VP.

this happens all the time in hunting. (well maybe not ALL the time, but often enough). one does not go to jail for mere negligence that results in death. it would have to be more than just ordinary negligence, otherwise people would go to jail for car accidents on a daily basis. the negligence must be to a criminal degree, which in this case im positive does not exist, regardless if he did not have the stamp. it would have to be during the commission of a felony or an extreme wonton and wreckless (negligent) act. this doesnt qualify. unless of course not having the proper stamp is a felony... but it would still have to be a death that would likely result from the felonious actions. if Cheney was legally drunk then that could be a possiblity. i could care less what some Times reporter says. he is taking the utmost extreme possibility, at a stretch (at best) and trying to make mountains out of mole-hills with it. now of course, a sleaze bag lawyer can stretch anything, but against the VP of the United States? please.

now Cheney could be sued in civil court for wrongfult death, by the man's family, but this was in no way a criminal act, which is required for criminal prosecution. use common sense guys.

if these were ordinary common men, the matter would be investigated and be simply ruled an accidental killing (if everything is as the people present at the accident say it is).

taken from Dictionary.com
please note "excusable homicide" and "homicide by misadventure"
now these are not taken from a legal dictionary nor are legal definitions per se, but are more principles to demonstrate the differences.

criminal homicide
: homicide committed by a person with a criminal state of mind (as intentionally, with premeditation, knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
deliberate homicide
: homicide caused purposely and knowingly â??used in Montana
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
excusable homicide
: homicide that is committed by accident or misfortune by a person doing a lawful act by lawful means with usual and ordinary caution and without any unlawful intent and that is excused under the law with no criminal punishment imposed; also : JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE in this entry
felonious homicide
: homicide committed without justification
homicide by misadventure
: homicide that occurs as the result of an accident caused by a person doing a lawful act with no unlawful intent
justifiable homicide
: homicide that is committed in self-defense, in defense of another and esp. a member of one's family or sometimes in defense of a residence, in preventing a felony esp. involving great bodily harm, or in performing a legal duty and that is justified under the law with no criminal punishment imposed; also : EXCUSABLE HOMICIDE in this entry
negligent homicide
: homicide caused by a person's criminally negligent act
reckless homicide
: homicide caused by a person's reckless acts
NOTE: In Illinois, involuntary manslaughter committed by use of a motor vehicle is called reckless homicide.
ve?·hic?·u?·lar homicide
/vE-'hi-ky&-l&r-/
: homicide committed by the use of a vehicle (as an automobile or boat)

technically, someone on a mission could possibly push that the act was "reckless" but that's quite a stretch, and again, against the VP

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by Davo:
And that other reporters laughed indicates the obsurdity of the question.

Exactly. It indicates that the resignation concept wasn't taken seriously by many reporters.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Davo:
Originally posted by Viss1:
AFAIK one guy in the press briefing asked if Cheney was going to resign, and a few other reporters laughed.

Actually, it was a lady, and I'd be interested to see if she works for one of the two news sources you consider to be adequate. And that other reporters laughed indicates the obsurdity of the question.

The coverage is despicable, considering that they made the story out to be that the press wasn't told about the event until a few hours after it happened, not what the story really was. Until the media abandons their self-righteousness, they will continue to be a laughing stock.

I just saw one reporter on the Washington Post saying Cheney shot the guy with a 29-gauge shotgun.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I have one of those. It's right next to my 2 gauge. Quite the barrel size on it.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I wish that Dick would take Ted Kennedy quail hunting.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
I wish that Dick would take Ted Kennedy quail hunting.

Who's driving?

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard