Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
i have tried to get help with this on another site, but sadly no help/interest. so i'll try here.....

one of my other rides is a low mileage '96 olds ciera. i am considering picking up a full set of mid '80s fwd 14 inch olds rally wheels to restore and put on her (running '86 ciera wire wheel covers currently). these wheels have all lug nuts, chrome trims and trim ring. they are currently gold colored. my ciera is ruby red.

i have never attempted to refurbish wheels. is there anyone on here who may have done something like this and could share info, techniques, tips, pointers, etc? my plan is to simply give them a good cleaning, then rattle can prime and rattle can paint. thoughts????

thanks in advance......lakeside

on a lake in middle tn '98 mystique ls duratec atx de-badged, pin striped pre '98 sail panels b pillar black out mod silverstars- turns and highs in lows fogs on with parking lights mod
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
are they steel or aluminun wheels. i read an article in an old mustang magazine(? maybe) that showed the complete restoration of aluminun wheels.

as for painting them, a rattle can would work, but the paint would chip over time....your best bet for steel would be to get them powder coated.

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
twin-thanks for the reply.

these would be steel. 5 "spoke" 14 inch olds fwd rally wheels from the mid to late '80s. actually, they look very similar to the 15 inch rally wheels found on olds cutlass's and 442's of the era.

won't be powder coating- not something i am able to do myself. may be the ideal, but....these will be going on a '96 olds ciera daily driver. currently running steels with '86 ciera wire hubcaps.

i think this is a very doable project. from the little i have read, it apparently is best not to strip the wheels of paint, as the old paint is "...the best primer...". rather, a thorough cleaning to de-grease, then light primer to smooth and then color, clear-coating on top.

thought perhaps someone (who might have done or attempted this) might offer advice/guidance.

got snow?! thanks again for your interest....lakeside

on a lake in middle tn '98 mystique ls duratec atx de-badged, pin striped pre '98 sail panels b pillar black out mod silverstars- turns and highs in lows fogs on with parking lights mod

Link Copied to Clipboard