Next Thread
Print Thread
#1501090 02/11/06 11:40 PM
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Found a broken rocker inside the motor .. this engine is only supposed to have 35K miles . Everything else looked super clean. What could possibly cause a broken rocker ?
Will the 2.5 rocker work in the place of the 3.0 as a replacement? Or do they all need to be changed ?

Also started on the gasket matching, oh boy ....very very time consuming .I think I may just take them in to have it done . I want it to be as clean as possible ,and I don't have any confidence in my work .

#1501091 02/12/06 04:21 AM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Robb:
Found a broken rocker inside the motor .. this engine is only supposed to have 35K miles . Everything else looked super clean. What could possibly cause a broken rocker ?
Will the 2.5 rocker work in the place of the 3.0 as a replacement? Or do they all need to be changed ?

Also started on the gasket matching, oh boy ....very very time consuming .I think I may just take them in to have it done . I want it to be as clean as possible ,and I don't have any confidence in my work .

Well Robb from what I've seen is that the 2.5 and 3.0 rockers are the same. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have no idea what lead to the demise of your rocker...

But if you need one I have several that I will send you at no cost but shipping.

Mike

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
#1501092 02/12/06 06:46 AM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Although highly unlikely, maybe a bent valve that won't go down, broke the rocker? Maybe some kind of notch in the cam lobe? Rockers aren't exactly under much durress (compared to other components), so something else caused it to break.

2000 Cougar V6 MTX 2001 3.0L Swap w/ PnP Heads - It ran, it boomed, it RUNS AGAIN Nearly all suspension mods Big ass stereo ...and more... See Her Here
#1501093 02/13/06 01:23 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Robb:

Rockers are the same on the 2.5L and 3.0L engines that we do swaps with. You can use all your 2.5L rockers.

I would be concerned about upper end lubrication issues if the rocker failed. Look closely at your camshaft bearing surfaces to see if they look worn or not. It is possible the the rocker just wasn't all the good and failed on its own, but be sure.
If it is a lube problem, take that engine back to the yard and make them get you a decent used one.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1501094 02/13/06 04:29 AM
R
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
giddyup306 : I appreciate your generocity , I have all of the rockers form the 2.5 so I will just use those .

I will inspect the bearings more closely tomorrow, I still have a month on the warranty from the salvage yard , the only problem is that I have money invested in the motor besides the purchase price ...

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard