Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
weasel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Got me a set of projector fogs. So far they are great, but the one thing I was suprised was the fact that the cut-off wasn't very sharp. Anyone know of a way to tweak it? I am just wondering if its a case of the cut-off being too close or too far away from the bulb ...

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Different projectors produce different cutoffs. Some are sharp, some fuzzy, some are Z cutoffs, some are straight, etc.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by weasel:
Got me a set of projector fogs. So far they are great, but the one thing I was suprised was the fact that the cut-off wasn't very sharp. Anyone know of a way to tweak it? I am just wondering if its a case of the cut-off being too close or too far away from the bulb ...

since its a fog, its gonna be small. Your gonn hafta level out the cutoff shield inside the projector..Right now it probably looks like (most projectors look like this, not sure about fogs)

you will need to level that line out by using a dremel to get an even cutoff..i say leave it, its soo small of space to work on..what kinda projectors are they?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Some projectors are designed to not have an ultra sharp cut off. Just the way that the lens and sheild work together. Some Bmw projectors have a softer cut off then say, the hellas, or Valeo ones.

But seeing as how its a fog light, i dont see why having a solid cut off would be a good thing....

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:

But seeing as how its a fog light, i dont see why having a solid cut off would be a good thing....

fog projectore I believe are designed differently pattern wise

W
weasel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
They are Pilot's ( PL-704 ). Don't have a pic handy, but they look eerily similar to PIAA 959's. The cut-off ( as seen against a wall ) is a little fuzzy, but horizontal. I guess I was hoping they would work as well and be as sharp as the OEM fogs I had in my old Jetta ( these are on my new Jetta ). I found the razor sharp cut-off really easy to aim which I am sure other drivers appreciated !

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G

that the one right? looks really tiny

W
weasel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Nope, much bigger ...

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Right now it probably looks like (most projectors look like this, not sure about fogs)

you will need to level that line out by using a dremel to get an even cutoff..i say leave it, its soo small of space to work on.

The cutoff on the projectors is most likely flat. If it had the flare that Goonz is showing you would have very poor illumination on the left and it would be too high on the right....for a fog light at least.

The sharpness of the cutoff could possibly be impossible to change. Some projectors, including the DOT Hella 90mm lamps, have fluting on the projectos lens to dull the cutoff. If this is the case, the cutoff cannot be changed easily.

Remember, fog lamps should be aimed with a drop of 4" every 25', unlike the headlamp's 2" for every 25'......should. When my Contour was running 90mms for its foggies they had a flat cutoff shield and were aimed level.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
When my Contour was running 90mms for its foggies they had a flat cutoff shield and were aimed level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard