Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1496161 02/06/06 12:20 AM
V
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
V
Thank you all for your input. I have Cingular right now and i really like it except for the fact that you cannot use it at my house. Of course, until recently, I thought that no other cell phone provider worked at my house, because I've had almost all of them, until a contractor came out to my house to estimate the price on having some work done. I asked him a question that he could not answer right away, so he pulled out his nextel phone and called someone from my living room. Thats what made me start thinking about them. Then I found out that a lot of people at my new job have nextel so i can also see the use in having them. Might have to switch... Thanks again guys.

Silverfrost 99 SE Sport ATX
#1496162 02/06/06 06:10 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Contact your nextel dealer and they will let you try their service for 14 days to see if you like it. My dad did that when he was thinking of switching providers.

Austin -officially a troll See it here Pro-Flow w/ optimizer STILL for sale
#1496163 02/06/06 06:47 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
A few of my friends have Nextel. After seeing how much they pay and the inferior coverage they have I see the walkie-talkie novelty as just that. Now that they are merged with sprint their coverage should get better as everything is slowly transitioned over to Sprint's network.

I have Verizon and while they are certainly the 800lb gorilla in the cell phone market I have excellent service damn near every place I have been in the US. They do have the best coverage and have finished 1st in Consumer Reports cell phone survey the past few years. While there is obviously no gurantee they would give you the best service, the probability is likely there.

HTH!

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
#1496164 02/06/06 07:24 AM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Pete D:
A few of my friends have Nextel. After seeing how much they pay and the inferior coverage they have I see the walkie-talkie novelty as just that. Now that they are merged with sprint their coverage should get better as everything is slowly transitioned over to Sprint's network.

I have Verizon and while they are certainly the 800lb gorilla in the cell phone market I have excellent service damn near every place I have been in the US. They do have the best coverage and have finished 1st in Consumer Reports cell phone survey the past few years. While there is obviously no gurantee they would give you the best service, the probability is likely there.

HTH!

Agreed. A lot of my co-workers over the summer used Nextel for the walkie-talkies, but I didn't understand why. It was annoying as hell to anyone around, and the sound quality was absolutely terrible. I couldn't hear what the other person was saying half of the time.

That being said, I use Verizon. I travel a lot, and I don't plan on paying any roaming charges with their nationwide network. Also, no matter where I've gone, I still have service. I'm pretty satisfied so far.

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
#1496165 02/06/06 07:29 AM
S
SAV Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Those annoying walkie-talkie "novelties"? Yeah. That part of the plan is free/unlimited, BTW.

Still feel like bashing?

FWIW, though, it still can be expensive, and I had difficulty holding a signal inside the restaurant while I was at work. I'm with Verizon now, and while their network is nominally better as far as overall coverage and signal capability, I think their phones are terrible. I have one of the most basic Samsungs, and it still takes me twice as long to dial out a number stored in contacts or change the volume. Simple things like that make me wish I could go back to Nextel.

-SAV

Troll. 1997 VW Jetta MkIII GLS 5spd All hail my appearance on CEG!
#1496166 02/06/06 08:59 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Nextel is garbage. I have one for work and always drops calls and so on. I ended up getting cingular again and boy do i love it. I can leave the work phone at home now, well worth paying for cingular again for a personal phone.

01 Focus MTX JRSC, 2.6 pully, and so on.......
#1496167 02/06/06 09:20 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by SAV:
Those annoying walkie-talkie "novelties"? Yeah. That part of the plan is free/unlimited, BTW.

Still feel like bashing? -SAV

Yeah, actually. Sprint/Nextel says you can use this unidirectional walkie talkie feature for free on their network. All other cell providers also allow you to talk to customers in their network for free, too! You just don't have to push that damn button. You can have a normal bidirectional phone conversation for free.

That might explain why Nextel is so popular with the NASCAR crowd. Mulletheads and walkie talkies (CB radios) go great together.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
#1496168 02/06/06 09:31 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
My husband and I use Nextel and love it...and yes we use the so-called "annoying" walkie talkies...saves a lot of money using that and you can make it private w/ a click of a button...its fast, easy, and A LOT better than calling or texting! Best option we've ever had on a cell phone! If you don't have a friend w/ Nextel, the walkie talkies are useless, so yes...some of you would hate it...but for those of us w/ friends and family on Nextel its awesome!

Its not that expensive if you choose the right package...you'll find that with every cell phone company out there. There are a few spots where we do not have service... BUT...in those same spots...we never had service when using AT&T, Cingular, or Verizon so the coverage is the same as all the others.

As for the actual phones...same as any other company..some are bigger and bulkier...some are small and sleek....most are average...absolutely no different than all the other companies.

My husband had Verizon and it sucked...lost calls, expensive, minimal coverage area, lots of problems...I had Cingular/AT&T and it was freaking expensive and had NO coverage at all in most areas!

My opinion, especially when you have a lot of friends using it, Nextel rocks!

01 Cougar Sport - Dark Shadow Gray "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." LB&RB
#1496169 02/06/06 09:47 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Nextel is trash. We had it for three years. There customer service is useless. The could never get our billing correct, and their service cut out in places in-between Detroit and Cincy on I-75, and on I-71 near Columbus. Plus their phones weren't the most durable. I was glad we had the protection plan. Our phones were constantly having software problems.

#1496170 02/06/06 10:26 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by BurntRubber:
My husband and I use Nextel and love it...and yes we use the so-called "annoying" walkie talkies...saves a lot of money using that and you can make it private w/ a click of a button...its fast, easy, and A LOT better than calling or texting! Best option we've ever had on a cell phone! If you don't have a friend w/ Nextel, the walkie talkies are useless, so yes...some of you would hate it...but for those of us w/ friends and family on Nextel its awesome!

Its not that expensive if you choose the right package...you'll find that with every cell phone company out there. There are a few spots where we do not have service... BUT...in those same spots...we never had service when using AT&T, Cingular, or Verizon so the coverage is the same as all the others.

As for the actual phones...same as any other company..some are bigger and bulkier...some are small and sleek....most are average...absolutely no different than all the other companies.

My husband had Verizon and it sucked...lost calls, expensive, minimal coverage area, lots of problems...I had Cingular/AT&T and it was freaking expensive and had NO coverage at all in most areas!

My opinion, especially when you have a lot of friends using it, Nextel rocks!

You know for all this crap, no one has even said anything about the free incoming calls. So tell you what, when telemarketers call your phones and waste your minutes, I will be cool enuff to say "hey, don't need your crap" and know that the call didn't cost anything.

Ok so here is the deal. I have tried them all, many of them when they had their original names. I worked for Best Buy in the Cellular department where I learned how to tell you why one company works for you and why one won't and I watched sprint very carefully and even when Sprint was US Unwired here in Huntsville and had the most ugly phones, I watched and saw them make changes. The phone clarity is awesome and it was very tempting to buy one, but, in the early days, sprint was not that good and I stayed away. YEARS later I had Verizon, as Lori told you, and I experienced problems with their service. They have the most towers now and yes they are REAL GOOD....but....in the location that I was at, the phones would not pick up well and to be honest, this was a change for them...but Sprint/NEXTEL we can pick up at the house real well

I need a loud LOUD LOUD phone. Why you ask? I like my music LOUD and my little verizon phone would not cut it...even a new one! I was actually surprised when my wife 2wayed me and I heard it. Ask her how many times she called me only to have to leave a message because I could not hear it.

and it fits in my pocket

Seriously, it is up to you if you wish to get the phone. I would ask people near you what they use, then I would ask about return policies. The biggest concern that people have is "will it work at my house?" Take it home that day and call someone. Watch it as you drive home and find some spots that are suspect, but, where you visit a lot. And always always remember to be considerate of those around you whether you own a ordinary cell phone or you own a NEXTEL/Sprint...sometimes ring tones can be annoying just as much as a 2 second beep from a phone. Whenever I am out, if I am at some place where I am away from Lori, she will beep me once and then wait for me to call back, this gives me time to turn my volume down if need be and then beep her back, even leave the room. And if we need to take two cars it helps to coordinate in the car.

I love Nextel, so far, they have been the easiest to work with and they have helped out a lot.

my .05 cents, since .02 cents just won't do....

L8R
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard