Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 88SVT:
.. After all, it's not the same thing as shifting a front engine rear drive type transmission.
Karl

Enlighten me, please! Thanks.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Let's refocus on the trans we all have to live with here.

The MTX has, to me, has unique requirements to use it well. Like I said earlier, it rewards drivers who know how to push the right buttons at the right time.

Different way to describe the technique I'm using is to depress the clutch so that engine rev's just a little while shifting. This requires that you keep foot on the gas while pressing clutch. Difference here with powershifting is that you back off the gas very shortly after clutch is disengaged. I can change gears in less than 1 second this way except to go into the 5th gear.

I was hoping the experts would chime in with reasons why this method works so well.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
It's like dancing. You can watch your feet and count the steps and be technically correct, but you're only really dancing when you're moving naturally and fluidly, and responding to your partner. I've tried teaching my wife how to drive a MTX with the various steps and timing, but she's never really picked up the natural rhythm of it.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
It's like dancing. You can watch your feet and count the steps and be technically correct, but you're only really dancing when you're moving naturally and fluidly, and responding to your partner. ...

This is an excellent analogy to "when to shift and how to shift."

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Tony2005:
It's like dancing. You can watch your feet and count the steps and be technically correct, but you're only really dancing when you're moving naturally and fluidly, and responding to your partner. ...

"May I touch your knob?"

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RogerB:

"May I touch your knob?"

OOOOO

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
.. After all, it's not the same thing as shifting a front engine rear drive type transmission.
Karl

My point was that people forget how relatively fragile these MTXs apparently are. Therefore, easy does it and it will last. Abuse it and you'll be replacing parts. With a standard setup as I mentioned there's no cable ends to stretch or break, no weak differential to grenade, no shifter bolt to snap, etc. It's abvious when you try and put so many parts/functions inside one box, there's more room for failure. With a separate transmission/differential, they can take much more "sporty driving."
Karl

*** It's all about consistency! *** *** Previously 88SVT *** 06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4 98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998 86 Ranger GT (For Sale) 69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale) 67 Formula-S Barracuda
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Karl

My point was that people forget how relatively fragile these MTXs apparently are. Therefore, easy does it and it will last. Abuse it and you'll be replacing parts. With a standard setup as I mentioned there's no cable ends to stretch or break, no weak differential to grenade, no shifter bolt to snap, etc. It's abvious when you try and put so many parts/functions inside one box, there's more room for failure. With a separate transmission/differential, they can take much more "sporty driving."
Karl

Thanks.

T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Let me know if I'm belaboring this point. I really want to quantify and demystify what made good shift vs. poor shift on my Contour. Not only is the transmission a major expense bill if something goes wrong, but shifting is something I do many times while I own this car. So naturally I want to be more skillful.

Earlier I noted Japanese cars are not sensitive to how you shift, they shifted well anyway you shifted. This isn't so with the MTX. One key difference was that their dashpot function is more stronger than ours. In other words, the engine rpm is held longer after you let off the throttle than is calibrated into Contours.

So I emulated this by not fully letting off the throttle while depressing clutch. This is when I discovered the sweet spot. With my foot almost off but not fully off, the engine rpm would blip up just a little when shifting and the shift goes smooth and quick.

This takes a bit of finese and that may be what other person was saying about being like good dancing. But it's my opinion that anyone can be taught to dance well if the mechanics are broken down and analyzed. Though not all of us will be great dancers as a result.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
This is crap. Well, not all of it but much of it.
Yes, I think it is belabored too much This car shifts just as well as any other normal manual transmission.
There are Honda transmissions that are a bit smoother and quicker, the transmission in my Volvo is a very high quality German built trans that is one of the best I've ever shifted.
However, unless you've got binding forks, sloppy/worn cables, rods, or shifter, worn out synchros, then this car shifts very well, smooth and and positive. With the right fluid and well broke-in, working parts the car is very enjoyable and quick!!!!
Holding the throttle longer is known as Throttle Hang around here and was present on most cars. We like to get RID of it rather than ask for more. Get yourself an Xcal2 and you can reprogram the dashpot for longer or shorter, faster drop off or slower drop off, etc.
There really are no special tricks to shifting it. It works as well as any other mid high 16-23 thousand dollar car, and better than many! Yes there are better ones out there.

On the other hand, ANY transmission will be easy shifting in and out of gear if you rpm/gear match when you shift. You can shift without the clutch if you match perfectly. I don't advise it, it takes to much attention that should be on the road anyway. Its also too slow for speed.
Upshifting shouldn't require anything at all and downshifting I usually blip the throttle to rev match a little so that I can slip it into a lower gear as I'm coming up to a turn or feel like I'm about to "Need" to accelerate.

Just MY OPINION after seeing this thread hang around so long and reading some of it.
Dance away though.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard