Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
?
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
?
I am trying to find out what this sensor is that is not documented on the '01 Ford Duractec engine build guide (25L-Main.pdf).

It is located on the right side of the block near the rear. It is a little bit below the exhaust manifold and looks a lot like the oil pressure sender just above the A/C compressor. It is always has a drop of oil hanging from it and I'm starting to think that this might be the source of my oil leak. I've cleaned it and the surrounding area only to find that whole area covered in oil soon after.

Does anyone know what this sensor is?

'96 Mercury Mystique GS 2.5L Auto '99 Honda Passport EX 3.2 4WD
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
My best guess would be the camshaft position sensor or a knock sensor. Are you looking from the front of the car or engine?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I believe it would be the Crank angle sensor. Sounds like the oil seal is gone. When you remove, caution not to break it off in the block. Use lots of WD-40 first.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
?
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
?
BTW, Happy New Year everyone!

I described the position incorrectly.

Here's my reference for directions. I'm using the one that appears all over the Ford maintenance docs.

If you stand on the driver's side of the car facing the engine you are standing nearest the rear the engine. The air filter box is right in front of you. The radiator is on the left side. The serpentine belt is on the front... Does that clear it up?

This sensor is on the right side, between the engine block and the firewall and right next to the engine mount and below the bank 1 exhaust manifold. There is a big hex drain plug on the right of the engine and this thing is just below and to it's left.

I believe it has a 28mm or 29mm metal hex body. The plastic sensor is attached to this metal hex nut looking thing.

I just pulled off the sensor cable and ran the engine for a few minutes in the hope it would throw a code. Nothing came up though so I plugged it back in. I also saw no lamps light up on the instrument panel.

----

I do happen to have an issue with my CKP because my &^$@&$ harness has disintegrated and I'm trying to kee it from shorting out with elecrical tape. The engine is not stalling on me, but it was a few days ago until I pulled that part of the harness apart and wrapped all the individual wires with electrical tape.

Are these sensors easily damaged if the wires were allowed to short? The car is running perfect and has not thrown another P0320 since I rewrapped that part of the harness.

Before you suggest going for the recall, I'm at 120K miles, so I doubt they'll help me.

Last edited by �¡Oracle!; 01/01/06 10:26 PM.

?
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
?
Okay I think I have determined that this is the knock sensor. My oil leak has to be from somewhere else *sigh*

Thanks for the help.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Yes, Happy New Year! It took me a while to reply, you have the same conclusion. I found this picture of the Duratec V6Duratec, click on top image I looked in my manuals Ford 1995 and CD 1998) no sensor where you describe, closest is the knock sensor. I have one of those sensors on my old Dodge, and disconnect=no signal, but no code, only a short would code. If that sensor has just one wire, it is probably the knock sensor.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard