Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1438382 11/17/05 04:35 PM
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
I have a 96 Mystique 2.0 MTX. It has severe hesitation issues under load. Basically if I floor it it chugs hesitates and bogs down.

I have replaced both O2's
Replaced the wires.
Replaced the plugs
replaced the MAF
replaced the DPFE
Checked for vaccuum leaks.

Still the problem remains. I am starting to think it is the TPS. Does this seem logical at this point. I have ruled out the fuel pump as this issue doesn't exsist on a fresh start of the engine. However it shows up when it is out of the loop mode. Any other idea aside from the TPS? I have searched but more often then not people with this similar problem never post what the ultimate solution was for them.

TIA

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I would suggest a new air and fuel filter and a TB cleaning. In addition, check to see if the catalytic converter is plugged.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1438384 11/17/05 04:41 PM
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
So you don't feel that the TPS could be the culprit? I should mention that if I am in nuetral and I raise the RPMs slowly @ about 1500-2000 there is a most pronounced stumble. Addingg to my suspision. As for the filter I have a conical filter that is relatively clean. As for the fuel filter. It was done not to long ago.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mbb41:
So you don't feel that the TPS could be the culprit? ..

It could be but TB cleaning is cheaper (as a first check) and I think a TPS issue should show a CEL code. Of course, a really dirty TB would too). Do the plugged exhaust test too. Oh and read the recent post by Edmonton on problems with the Zetec too.

Edit. "Anyone know if it could be a clogged cat or how to test?"
For the Zetec.
A good cheap way to test for a blocked exhaust is to remove the upper O2 sensor, and see if the performance improves. Battery needs to be disconnected before uninstalling and installing O2 sensors. Good luck.

Last edited by Tony2005; 11/17/05 04:49 PM.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Be easy enough to test the TPS theory. Un-plug the thing & run your car for a while. If it seems to run ok, Ta-Da!!

If that doesn't work, try un-plugging the MAF instead and then run your car for a while. If the car seems to run fine, then Ta-Da!! Your MAF was the problem.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Be easy enough to test the TPS theory. Un-plug the thing & run your car for a while. If it seems to run ok, Ta-Da!!

If that doesn't work, try un-plugging the MAF instead and then run your car for a while. If the car seems to run fine, then Ta-Da!! Your MAF was the problem.

Hmm.... shoudn't that be "unplug it and if there is no difference in the performance, that component is the problem"?

M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
TourDeForce

Yours was one of the post I found with no difinative results on what the problem was that you had. Ever figure out what was up? I was planning to test your theroy tonight after I pick up my car from its E-test. (which I just found out it passed no problem) I am going to unplug it and drive and see what happens. This won't screw anything up I hope. I do not recall right I'm sure but I thought the car won't even run if the MAF is unplugged.

M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Hmm.... shoudn't that be "unplug it and if there is no difference in the performance, that component is the problem"?

Why would that be the case for certian? I assume by doing this you have the car go into limp mode for the missing sensor. Therefore it will run @ default trim. If that is the case then the car should run better then with a sensor that is running right intermitently no?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Unplug MAF:

The car will run off the stored fuel trim tables with added data from the other sensors such as TPS, O2s, etc.

So, if the MAF is having a problem, your car will run like crap. Unplug the MAF & your car will run fine with no drivability problems, but maybe pull some timing or give you a richer fuel mixture.

Should be the same for the TPS.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mbb41:
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Why would that be the case for certian? I assume by doing this you have the car go into limp mode for the missing sensor. Therefore it will run @ default trim. If that is the case then the car should run better then with a sensor that is running right intermitently no?

Wouldn't it already be running in a limp mode if the component was the problem? So if you remove the component, it shouldn't make any difference whereas if it wasn't in a limp mode for that component, it would now, if you unplug it. Maybe someone else with more experience with the mechanics of the PCM could clarify this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard