Next Thread
Print Thread
#1435322 11/14/05 01:15 PM
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
It would seem that after spending a couple of hours on the phone with Roger and then Vonage the problem to my intermitent CEG connecting problem is gone. I started the new VOIP service last week. (it is very cool so far for the record) Within a day or 2 I could not get on to the CEG then slowly but surely I couldn't get on to more sites. Finally armed with a bit of time I called Rogers whom asured me it was not a problem on their end at that particular time. So I called Vonage. They too felt it was not their issue. After trying everything to trouble shoot the problem with them I tried removing the special phone box from my system. Sure enough everthing was fine. It would seem the refurbished box they sent me was not so refurbished. I managed however to rewire my system and put the box inline behind my wireless router. Low and behold the system now works well. That said I just wanted to convey to anyone thinking about doing VOIP whom already has highspeed internet. It seems to be well worth it so far. After configuring the internet connection for higher voice quality I have found that there is little to no difference in sound as compared to Bell. The cost is far better then other conventional phone carriers and I suspect as this technology gets better that it will take over from them. One of the neat features that I didn't know I was getting is the ability to check my voice mail over the internet. I recieve an email telling me of the mail and I can either call my voice mail remotely or go to my Vonage account and listen to it from there. Anyway that concludes my rambling.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I've been thinking of switching to Vonage for a long time now. The only thing holding me back was that I use Sympatico and without their phone service you couldn't get thier internet service. Now they offer "Naked DSL" allowing you to have their internet service without a Bell phone line. I think it is now time to switch.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
That is cool. I didn't know that Sympatico had such a "naked service". Might be time to do that when I move.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Primus I use. no problems, great customer service. and they sent me a free VOIP router (now I have two).

Primus and Vonage have the same packages pretty much, however primus is cheaper. Some people have complained about copy phone connections. I myself have had no problems with it.

ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Answer
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Caller ID Block Release/ *82
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Display
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Screen/*60
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Waiting
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Transfer/*08
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Visual Call Waiting
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Do-Not-Disturb
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ 5-Way Calling
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Privacy Guard
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Forward/*72
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Speed Dial
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Call Hold
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Unlisted Number
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Caller ID Block/ *67
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ My TalkBroadband portal
ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Alternate Number

just some of the options. I opted out of the unlimited us/canada long distance, as I rarely talk LD. and if I do, its a whopping $0.05 a min. I can handle that!

so unlike cable/DSL were you only have one choice. With VoIP you have choices.

97 T-Red LX ATX pre98 CF SVT front,SVT rear/side skirts FSVT wheels Custom Front Ford Logo (body Colour) 35% tint all around with sun visor WP With Metal Impeller? Elky Grills CTA Intake CTA Custom Dual Exhaust
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Do they finally allow 911 calls with VOIP? I'd be worred about that. I guess cell phones can be used though. There's also the issue of power cuts. I seem to have them often in my area so I'd lose the phone during those times. You may also have the odd time that your internet cannot connect because of services or or anything else so you may lose your phone then too. Basically it's great if you want to have a LOT of features on your phoneline but for some people who just want either nothing or maybe call waiting, the price difference is almost nothing.

95 Contour GL 2.5L ATX Minor mods
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I'm thinking about it too. I just got broadband (yeah, I know)...but we're in the process of trying to rebuild the cable account (I took it over from my dad to "bundle").

Thing that throws me is the Florida number that can pop up on caller ID. I've had a few clients who show up as FL residents, even though they are calling from north of TO.

I just wish there was a one-number portability.

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard