Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Cool Toe Chris
OP Offline
Cool Toe Chris
S
I performed a quick search and I don't think I have a similar situation. I currently have a no start/no codes problem with my 98.5 SVT. I had been driving, pretty regularly and had to park it on the street for a few days while a big dumpster took up the driveway. I tried to start it up and no dice.

I figured it was the battery, so I charged it (was weak) and nothing. I hear the fuel pump pressurize. I am getting electric to the front (relocated batt 4+ yrs ago with a HQ 0/1 wire) as I hear the starter spinning and see the FEAD and WP belts spinning as well.

A CEGer came by with an OBD-II reader and saw no codes, not even pending codes. (Thanks Alex)

This happened pretty suddenly as I had driven the car every weekend, so the car wasn't sitting. It sits during the week as I walk to the train everyday. I was told it could be a CPS or coilpack, but both would/should throw codes. Also, plugs/wires are relatively new, about 5k (1 yr.) on them.

I am left with testing the fuel rail to make sure there is pressure, which I hope to do in the coming days.

Other than the fuel pressure, what else could be causing this and how can it be remedied?

Thanks!
Chris

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Sounds like you may have a PATS problem.

Is the red light next to your clock flashing irregularly when you try to start the car?

It should light up solid for a brief period when you try to start the car and then go off.

If it is flashing irregularly, you have a PATS problem. You'll need to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

S
Cool Toe Chris
OP Offline
Cool Toe Chris
S
Not a PATS problem, as the car wouldn't even crank if it was. But, the light is solid and does go out as it should.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Coilpack wouldn't neccesarily throw a code...

Because it isn't STARTING... you may not get codes that you normally would while running. Some things aren't tested until certain drive cycles are performed (which you can't complete as it won't start..)

I would check out the resistance of the coilpack (wouldn't be likely to cause a problem, but it is quick and eliminates the device...)

EGR/PVC system can cause a no start/no run...

Failed IAC? (1/4 gas pedal helps?)

CPS/CKP (again.. not sure if the code would show up.. though pretty sure those two particular ones would, even without starting.)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
Cool Toe Chris
OP Offline
Cool Toe Chris
S
Thanks Ray, I'll start with your suggestions during the week and see what comes of it. I'll post a follow up.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
check fuel pressure, should be 45-55 on key cycle
check for spark at the end of the plug wires,
if possible back probe a fuel injector and check for pulse form pcm. see what you are missing and go from there. Also do you have any rodent problems, aka chewed up crank sensor harness, injector harness ect. do a complete visual and make sure nothing is unplugged chewed missing. let us know what you come up with. oh and the pats thing you are correct it would not crank if that was the case. good luck

95 mystique daily driver 96 mystique parts car 95 contour 3.0L oval port swap in the works check my classified ad
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
I know a place where you can get a test coil pack if it comes to that

oh, and I tested IAC when you were looking the other way, so that's out too

S
Cool Toe Chris
OP Offline
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
I know a place where you can get a test coil pack if it comes to that

oh, and I tested IAC when you were looking the other way, so that's out too

Sweet! I'll see if I can play with the car tomorrow if it stops raining. Thanks for the info so far everyone!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard