Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1406893 10/26/05 12:23 AM
N
NKENN Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
My manual says "there should be approximately a 7/16 inch air gap between a straightedge across the bell housing flange and the torque converter." The accompanying diagram shows the air gap to be between the "hub" of the torque converter (that the pump shaft slides into) and the straightedge. After trying numerous times on the new and then the old ATX I could not get more than 1/8 inch air gap. I then measured the air gap between the straightedge and the pump shaft with the pump shaft properly seated in the ATX. I only got 3/8 inch. Then, using some crude measurement techniques, I measured the thickness of the torque converter hub end to be approx 1/4 inch. That means that when the torque converter is properly seated on the pump shaft the maximum aig gap (between the straightedge and the torque converter) can only be approximately 1/8 inch (3/8 inch to the end of the pump shaft minus the 1/4 inch thickness of the torque converter hub. Can anyone out there verify that from experience??????????????????????

#1406894 05/27/06 07:19 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by NKENN:
My manual says "there should be approximately a 7/16 inch air gap between a straightedge across the bell housing flange and the torque converter." The accompanying diagram shows the air gap to be between the "hub" of the torque converter (that the pump shaft slides into) and the straightedge. After trying numerous times on the new and then the old ATX I could not get more than 1/8 inch air gap. I then measured the air gap between the straightedge and the pump shaft with the pump shaft properly seated in the ATX. I only got 3/8 inch. Then, using some crude measurement techniques, I measured the thickness of the torque converter hub end to be approx 1/4 inch. That means that when the torque converter is properly seated on the pump shaft the maximum aig gap (between the straightedge and the torque converter) can only be approximately 1/8 inch (3/8 inch to the end of the pump shaft minus the 1/4 inch thickness of the torque converter hub. Can anyone out there verify that from experience??????????????????????

Bringing this back from the dead....I'm having the same problem as the guy here.

Even when the TC is not placed on the trans, the gap betweem the hex shaft and trans flange is 10 mm...service CD says it should be at least 12mm with the TC INSTALLED....i'm not seeing how this is possible????

Any insight...i hope the trans shop didn't mess anything up.

IS it possible that the splined shafts inside the trans themselves aren't properly settled?

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
#1406895 05/28/06 04:38 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
When the tranny is out of the car and you install the TC it will sit lower. As you bolt it up to the flywheel it will slide forward a little. Thats when you take the measurement.

#1406896 05/28/06 01:41 PM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by COUGAR99:
When the tranny is out of the car and you install the TC it will sit lower. As you bolt it up to the flywheel it will slide forward a little. Thats when you take the measurement.

CORRECT!

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
#1406897 06/01/06 10:23 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I'll update this in case anyone searches for it later....

Originally posted by btrautman:
Originally posted by COUGAR99:

CORRECT!

Bob

Right, i understand...the flywheel will determine the final position of the TC.

My confusion was a result of this diagram:

The dimension that they have listed there as 12mm i found to be 1mm...and they had other diagrams in the service CD labeled with 12mm as well...that's why i got confused.

But anyway, shortly after i made that post i put the engine and trans together...all the flange bolts tightened almost fully by hand...meaning there was no resistance...and when i bolted the TC to the flywheel that went together smoothly as well...as i tightened the bolts, the TC was pulled into the flywheel as it should.

So the only conclusion i can make is that it is a misprint...maybe it was supposed to be 1.2mm?

Oh and the TC was ordered by the shop for me, and it was the F69 code C which through searching i found to be the right TC.

Last edited by amarv12; 06/01/06 10:32 PM.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard