Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1363712 08/18/05 02:18 AM
X
OP Offline
X
So I told my lady friend I'd change the drivers side axle in her 95 Mystique (V6, auto, driver side axle) this weekend. What exactly am I getting into? Any tips or suggestions? I've got all kinds of automotive service experience, but 99% of it is on Subarus- this is my first time ever wrenching on a Ford. I've changed about a dozen Subaru axles, but this job is quite a bit different than one on a Soob...

Anyone got some advice so I don't end up spending most of my day on this? Would prefer to get it done as quickly and easily as possible. Also really need to know how to remove the axle from the transmission, as I've never actually worked on an axle that goes INSIDE the tranny- Subaru axles just slip over little axle stubs sticking out of the side of the trans, and I can already tell this one is nothing like that.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by xtacyturbo:
So I told my lady friend I'd change the drivers side axle in her 95 Mystique (V6, auto, driver side axle) this weekend. What exactly am I getting into? Any tips or suggestions?

LOL. Check out Autozone's site for some information. In addition, you may want to go to Autozone and pick up a Chiltons or Haynes manual. Or some libraries would have them too. LOL.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d4/65/0900823d801bd465.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
X
OP Offline
X
Thanks for the link... looks like a pretty simple job.

Since I don't have a slide hammer, is it OK to remove the axle from the transmission using a flat pry bar?

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Never worked on a subaru, but the contour is no different than any other domestic when it comes to changing the front axles. Raise car, remove wheel, remove CV nut,Pull the caliper, remove strut bolts, pop ball joint bolt and remove spindle from a arm and cv shaft and swing out of way. give a good yank. Assembly is reverse of disassembly. (sound like any repair manuals??? )

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
X
OP Offline
X
What is the size of the axle nut?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
What is the size of the axle nut?

If you mean the spindle,
"Using the 32mm Socket and the long breaker bar, remove the "locking spindle nut" (large nut that holds the hub to the axle itself. You will need a friend to help with this. Place the car in gear, and have him hold the brakes as hard as he can, so you can break this one free... "

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=895425&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all&vc=1

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
32mm, yup..

THIS IS A ONE TIME USE NUT!!!
People will "SAY" that they've used it before with no problems, but they will also post a troubleshooting post about a failed bearing in 10K miles, etc.

This nut places the preload on that bearing and, as such, will cause the bearing and hub to fail prematurely.

buy another beforehand, at !6.00-8.00 dollars from the dealer.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks for the link... looks like a pretty simple job.

Since I don't have a slide hammer, is it OK to remove the axle from the transmission using a flat pry bar?

A curved crowbar actually has worked better for me than a prybar, as it's difficult to get a good angle on it with the latter. I changed the driver's side axle on another car of mine and I tried for hours to get it out by pulling on it manually and with an automotive prybar, and eventually said screw it and pulled a crowbar off the wall and stuck it in there and it pulled right out.

1997 Ford Contour Sport, 2.5L Duratec V6, MTX
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Since I was replacing the entire assembly anyway, I used a long 2x4 with a groove cut out of it, and that groove slid around the axle nut (which is being replaced, too)

Made a wedge and I popped it right out.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard